Set Number: 8958

Year of release: 2009

Price: $9.99 USD

Parts: 94

Minifigures: 1 miner and 1 rock monster

Sticker sheet: Yes

Review Gallery

dsci0017.jpg

Front and back of the minifig showing printing on both sides.

dsci0018.jpg

Interchangeable arms!

dsci0015.jpg

Instructions, sticker sheet, and extra pieces.

dsci0019.jpg

Random instructions image.

dsci0022.jpg

Front 3/4 view

dsci0020.jpg

Rear 3/4 view.

dsci0021.jpg

This is a great set. Upon close inspection, this set is very well designed and fun to build despite its size. It's also an excellent parts pack for $10.

The miner minifig is all new, with a dual sided expression and torso with printing on front and back. His face is somewhat of a "rock on, dude" (no pun intended) look on one side and a terrified look on the other. He has a scar below his mouth and grime lining where the blue helmet sits on his head. I am very happy they brought back the Rock Raiders helmet in a new color. This feels like a fresh revival of the RR theme. The legs are even printed with a chain and flashlight design.

The rock monster is hollow inside, allowing the included blue crystal (another revived RR piece in a new color) to fit inside his mouth. The top of the head is hinged like any of the Canadian characters from South Park, and it is a very comical looking creation. The best part is that his arms are minifig socket- compatible. as shown above.

The actual vehicle packs a lot of cool design in a small package. There is a bit of technic, a bit of brick-built, and some SNOT on the sides. I love the little details like the flood light and white tanks in the back. The lime green and orange isn't that bad, but I think it could have been better color-schemed. The dump truck bucket is attached by a chain to the back and is easily removed. The actual drilling mechanism is really neat. The rubber band snaps it back into place, while moving the treads bumps it forward, making a jackhammer-like sound and motion when it moves. The play function works very well.

The best part is the return of alternate build pictures on the box. It shows that you can combine this with another set to make a great hovercraft-looking thing. (Sorry...I don't have a pic, I threw the box away.)

Ratings (on a scale of 1 to 10):

Parts: 9.5/10 - All new figures and parts, plus plenty of lime green. Would have been nice to have tread links instead of rubber tire treads.

Minifigs: 10/10 - Includes two all new figures.

Detail: 10/10 - very clever design and solid build.

Playability: 8/10 - Cool mechanism but the wheels are a bit stiff and the bin that drags behind can be cumbersome.

Price to parts: 9.5/10 - Under 100 elements for $9.99, though there are plenty of new and returning pieces here.

Availability: 7/10 - Should be showing up everywhere soon if not already.

OVERALL RATING: 10/10 - I'd definitely recommend picking this up as a test of the new theme. If you don't like it, you still get plenty of neat pieces.

This on top of the Pirates theme is a very good outlook for 2009, since the Clone Wars sets pretty much stink. TLG is very creative with their unlicensed sets, and this set really shines. I picked it up to decide whether or not I liked the theme, and it really turned my opinion around. It's a great little set.

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Off to a nice start on your review GIR3691.

Perhaps this topic will help you resize your pics and how to post them here, as they are way to big for me to want to load up.

Otherwise you have written an nice informative review on a newly released set. Cheers.

You may also like to sign up for the Reviewer Academy if you like.

Cheers

Thanks for the review, GIR 3691 :thumbup:

I'm certalinly going to buy this set!

LuxorV

Thanks for the nice review. However, while I do like the figs, the specialized parts and some of the lime pieces, I'm still not sold on Power Miners. Sorry to be the negative Nancy, but someone has to. :tongue:

Great review! Have you considered the Reviewer's Academy? I think you would do great their.

Anyways, I love this set already. It may be the only Power Miners set I buy instead of trading, mainly because it's cheap and has some nice features. :thumbup:

Good review!

But, I still don't get it... if this is a 2009 set, how come you already got one?

Welcome to Euorbricks Nirdian!

Some countries such as America generally get the 2009 sets early, mainly November-December. Other Countries get them by March at the latest,(but not all cases)

Then, European countries get the Summer sets earlier, in June, instead of August like other countries.

Hope that answers your question!

Thanks for the wonderful review. It is really great to see that most of the PM sets are really affordable, and I will probably be picking them up, mainly for parts. In this particular set, though, the two figures are very nice. I like how every PM set includes a rock monster with a color different than in the rest of the sets. This set doesn't seem that interesting, but like I said, it's probably good for rare parts.

Welcome to Euorbricks Nirdian!

Some countries such as America generally get the 2009 sets early, mainly November-December. Other Countries get them by March at the latest,(but not all cases)

Then, European countries get the Summer sets earlier, in June, instead of August like other countries.

Hope that answers your question!

Thanks, it does...

Now I'm a wee bit jealous at america though, I mean Norway is RIGHT NEXT TO Denmark (THE LEGO place) and still the Ammies get all the fun earlier... :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for the nice review, GIR. :thumbup:

Another day, another Power Miners set that is looking great! This set may not be very big, but it has a nice rugged design, some great parts and minifigs, and an affordable price. I'm sold! :classic:

However, unlike some of the other kits, I don't think this set really lives up to the Rock Raiders line as much. I think this is mainly because we've already had a set named Granite Grinder, and it was much cooler. Just look:

4940-1.jpg

:sweet:

Thanks for the review! I was wondering weather I should get this set or not but know i surley will! :wink:

Wonderful review GIR! I really love this set now. I wasn't sold on it before but now I'll most likely buy, why did Power Miners turn out to be such a great theme?

I love all the different pieces, especially the TNT, canopy and wonderful lime. The rock monster is sweet too, I definitely want a couple for my Interactive Apocalypse.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I don't think this set really lives up to the Rock Raiders line as much. I think this is mainly because we've already had a set named Granite Grinder, and it was much cooler.

True... when I first heard about Power Miners, I really wanted to see that chrome drill piece return, even if it wasn't chromed this time around. It is such a cool piece, and would have helped me make a Big Daddy. I'm not a huge fan of the new drill piece. Off to Bricklink, I suppose.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

As happy as you may be for this set, we do like our members to comment more than just "emoticons".

In the top banner of the page there's a link going "Reminder on how to behave in here".

I suggest you read that and improve your posts.

Sometimes it's better to say nothing instead of posting spam/crap.

I don't know why, but somehow everyone (including me) was all like "NOOO!!!" regarding the Power Miners and now we all suddleny start to like them...

Anyway, very good review of a very cool set! I can't wait until 2009 now! :classic:

Fantastic Review, I love the pics now :classic:

This pic is great showing the interchangeable arms, the miner looks like he is being slowly transformed into a rock monster :oh3:

dsci0015.jpg

As happy as you may be for this set, we do like our members to comment more than just "emoticons".

In the top banner of the page there's a link going "Reminder on how to behave in here".

I suggest you read that and improve your posts.

Sometimes it's better to say nothing instead of posting spam/crap.

Yes don't post stuff like that I got in trouble for it and to tell the truth I am glad KimT showed me how annoying it really is. So take the warnings seriousley because I did'nt but after I got in trouble I realised I definentley should! :cry_happy:

Thanks for the second chance KimT! :blush:

Edited by computerbug