Mariann Asanuma

LEGO Batman Mosaic

theaterindex.gif

For those who don't know me, my name is Mariann Asanuma. I am a former Master Model Designer at LEGOLAND California. Now I am a Freelance LEGO Artist, the first and only female in the world, at least that I know of. :wink:

Its a few months old, but here is my LEGO Batman Mosaic.

2891924362_4b2c074faa.jpg

I was hired by Warner Brothers Interactive to make this for the LEGO Batman Video Game Launch Party in New York City. It was quite a challenge to get all the details right. The mosaic is 2 feet by 2 feet, it has 14 different colors, and I used every SNOT technique I know to make it. It took me about two weeks to design and make this mosaic (twice -- once for the prototype and once for the final model). The little bats, the bat logo on Batman, and the logo and belt on Robin are vynil stickers that my brother Mike Asanuma (he is a Graphic and Special Effects Artist in Los Angeles) made for me.

I also made the LEGO Batman Video Game Logo.

2891882032_7ca1bdaf78_o.jpg

This mosaic took me about a week to design a build.

If you would like to check out more of my models you can see them at my website modelbuildingsecrets.com or on Flickr.

Wow, this is incredible! You've managed to perfectly capture the intricate details of the caped crusader and his sidekick. I'm especially amazed at that lego batman logo - simply stunning! :thumbup:

Man, I can't wait to see more from you on Eurobricks, Mariann. BTW, why don't you post an introductary topic in the "hello, my name is..." forum, since you haven't yet. :wink:

Edited by Grevious

Yes, this looks very nice, Mariann! A very well done mosaic! :thumbup: But are Batman and Robin's chest logos, Robin's belt, and the bats in the background stickers? :look:

What software did you use to design this?

It's an honor having you here on EB and we look forward to seeing your other art pieces! :sweet:

very nice mosaic.

i like the color combination.

how many pieces brick you used?

are you using software for designing the mosaic?

how do you start from scratch?

Man, I can't wait to see more from you on Eurobricks, Mariann. BTW, why don't you post an introductary topic in the "hello, my name is..." forum, since you haven't yet. :wink:

Thanks Grevious, I'll add a post in the "Hello, my name is. . ." soon.

But are Batman and Robin's chest logos, Robin's belt, and the bats in the background stickers? :look:

What software did you use to design this?

To answer your question Oky Wan Kenobi, yes they are stickers, I mention that in the original post.

I've had lots of people ask me what software I used. I actually don't use any software. What I do is print the picture out the size I need it to be, then I lay see-through brick paper over it, and draw out the design from there. I use lots of SNOT techniques, but to be honest, I don't really like that term. I call what I do "brick manipulation" since that is a more accurate term. You can kind of see the drawing on the table in the picture. It was taken in New York during the event.

2891085895_ec0bbf6870_o.jpg

And to answer djo question, I don't honestly know exactly how many pieces are in the model, but I would estimate at least three to four thousand pieces.

I've done lots of mosaics, both at LEGOLAND California, and on my own. You will be seeing more of all my models in the future.

Great work Mariann Asanuma! You should definitely be very proud of this mosaic, I don't think I can really say much about it apart from the obvious: Its very, very good.

Nice job in the stickers too, I didn't notice them the first time round. My only criticism is the grey glove on Batman's left hand, I'm pretty certain its meant to be black.

No major problem though, I didn't spot it until after quite a bit of time looking at the details. So awesome job overall, the little videogame sign is also great.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

This is one of the most impressive mosaic which I have seen. Mariann Asanuma, thanks for sharing this amazing piece of professional work with our community. I love that picture very much. We will be looking forward to the rest of your work. :thumbup:

Dear Mariann,

that is really impressive! :classic:

Good thing you're not using software. :thumbup:

It kind of takes the fun away and it is difficult to get the "SNOT" in there correctly.

Personnaly I always find that what looks good in software can be vastly improved in real life.

Kind regards,

Teddy