QuartermasterRobert

Reference Material for Creating more Realistic Ships

Ahem. Yes. When I first came here everyone was most helpful in showing me some good references to Middle Eastern pirates and sail, with plenty of good Ottoman visuals. Well I come to you again with another request for aid! This time, I'm looking for good references of the British Royal Navy and Army, from around 1720 to 1740, mostly uniforms. Royal Marines are welcome too if you have anything. Descriptive articles are ok, but I would REALLY love some good visual references! I like to draw and I find it easiest to draw historical things with visual sources instead of written ones.

And specifically, for the Royal Navy I need uniform looks for enlisted sailors, captains, lieutenants, and things such as first mates, bosuns, quartermasters and the like. Everything else I just need general information on right now.

I thank all who contribute with much grace in advance!!!

Ahem. Yes. When I first came here everyone was most helpful in showing me some good references to Middle Eastern pirates and sail, with plenty of good Ottoman visuals. Well I come to you again with another request for aid! This time, I'm looking for good references of the British Royal Navy and Army, from around 1720 to 1740, mostly uniforms. Royal Marines are welcome too if you have anything. Descriptive articles are ok, but I would REALLY love some good visual references! I like to draw and I find it easiest to draw historical things with visual sources instead of written ones.

And specifically, for the Royal Navy I need uniform looks for enlisted sailors, captains, lieutenants, and things such as first mates, bosuns, quartermasters and the like. Everything else I just need general information on right now.

Well... Osprey Publishing has a good series on the uniforms of the Napoleonic wars. I have their "Nelson's Navy" book in front of me, but it only goes from 1794 to 1813.

The list of books in the back doesn't appear to have early 18th century uniforms, but they could have it elsewhere.

Beware, though, I got mine from a library, as it's about $16-$20 for books that only last about 60-70 pages. :pir-cry_sad:

Hi there. sorry but cant help you with Royal Marines since they didnt have the Royal name until 1802 :pir_laugh2:

try google for them. i found some pics there when i searched for royal navy uniforms . like this pic

v2_c4_s27_ss01_03.jpg

Osprey Men At Arms 289: King George's Army 1740-1793 (2) Has a plate of Royal Marines from 1740-1775. the 1740s marines are wearing red great coats that are cut just above the knee, and striped or grey gaiters. They also wear the cloth mitre caps that were worn by grenadiers of the same period.

Edited by Imperial_Guard

I think a quick google search could proove quite useful. There would be lots of sites out there, if you look hard enough.

I have already tried google. I come here requesting help because of that, as there are many knowledgable types of characters here who seem to have good understanding of specific things.

Hi there. sorry but cant help you with Royal Marines since they didnt have the Royal name until 1802

try google for them. i found some pics there when i searched for royal navy uniforms . like this pic

My request specifically needs Navy uniforms from the early 1700s. 1720 to 1740. This looks Napoleonic.

My reasons for needing such sources is I am working on a story set in the 1720s through the 1730s, and I do not wish to make the same uniform mistakes as Pirate of the Caribbean.

Well I found plenty of good results with great info. So keep looking and if you don't have any success I'll post links when I have more time.

You must add "Austrian Succession" to your search instead of a year (like 1732) I always use this technique since it gathers better info

http://www.britishbattles.com/tim-reese/morier/index.htm (check out the ones for the Austrian Succession time-period (4 pages)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Brit...rian_Succession

There are uniforms here from 1743, so that would be about the same, on the wikipedia link you will find some uniforms from different ranks and army branches.

Edited by zorro3999

Osprey Men At Arms 289: King George's Army 1740-1793 (2) Has a plate of Royal Marines from 1740-1775. the 1740s marines are wearing red great coats that are cut just above the knee, and striped or grey gaiters. They also wear the cloth mitre caps that were worn by grenadiers of the same period.

British Marines at The Siege of Louisbourg 1745

Provincial Marines

Edited by Imperial_Guard

I've recently read Ships and Seamen of the American Revolution: Vessels, Crews, Weapons, Gear, Naval Tactics, and Actions of the War for Independence (Hardcover) by Jack Coggins.

It was published in 1969, but it was very relevant and an interesting read.

This book talked about many things that were helpful for building more realistic ships and types of dress sailors, marines and officers wore from the American Continentals and the Royal Navy.

Here some scans of the most helpful illustrations for ship building:

Hoisting-Boat.jpg

This one I never knew! There is no crane device or anything.

There's just rope and tackle to lift boats out from the center of a larger ship.

Wall-Gun_Swivel-Gun.jpg

Fighting-Top.jpg

Capstan.jpg

Cathead.jpg

Compass.jpg

Not exactly an illustration on how to build better ships,

but it was interesting to realize what ppl mean when they said these terms in books and movies. :thumbup:

That was useful for me, I was just working on a new crowsnest today but didn't know the exact details. Also I'm going to use the swivel gun for the upper decks like the book says.

Thanks for posting this Phred. :thumbup:

There are some very interesting sites with information and pictures about ships of the pirate-era, so I thougt it might be useful to create a thread in wich everyone can post links to interesting sites. In that way everyone who wants to build a lego ship can look in this thread and make their ships with nice historical accurate details :pir-sweet: I hope it will improve the way ship MOC's are made (though most of them look great already).

As a start:

Ship replica's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replica_ship

http://www.timedesign.de/ship/ship.html

Ship building plans:

http://www.all-model.com/

Ships from the Aubrey-Maturin series (Patrick O'Brian)

Information and other stuff:

About ship colours and other things

Another one about painting ships

Edited by Admiral Croissant

Err...Lice86, you are making yourself really look like a bot! Tell me this is not intentional and you forgot to add the correct links!

Sorry for bumping pirate_tong.gif

I found this website. It contains detailed and high-resolution plans from Architectura Navalis Mercatoria, by Chapman. I thought it would be interesting for anyone in search for plans to have this vast and FREE collection to use pirate_blush.gif

*EDIT: My apologies, I indeed misspelled the link*

Edited by Frank Brick Wright