On a scale of 1 to 5...  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor

Construction: It’s a theme that never seems to grow old with kids. In nearly every year of Classic Town and City, there has been at least one new construction vehicle released, and their designs have varied extensively. Today, I’m happy to bring you a review of one of the better construction kits, which is also of the few Classic Town sets I own. Let's get building!

000boxart.jpg

Name – Dig N’ Dump

Set Number – 6581

Year – 1996

Pieces – 125

Minifigures – 2

Age Recommendation – 7-12 years

Price - $13.25 USD / Unknown EUR / Unknown GBP

The Box and Instructions:

Since this is one of my oldest kits, I sadly don’t have the box anymore. However, I do have the instructions – which years ago my dad covered with clear plastic sheets. Needless to say, although they preserved the instructions, they also created a ton of wrinkles and folds which are almost impossible to get out. Anyway, the art on the cover is very nice and neat, although the background is a bit simple compared to modern times.

01instr1.jpg

The actual instructions are very easy to read, and have a nice background with grass, water, and sky.

02instr2.jpg

On the back of the instructions (and probably on the back of the box as well) there are several awesome alternate models, including a really nice tractor.

03instr3.jpg

The Pieces and Minifigs:

6581 contains 125 pieces molded in ten shades, including 4 shades of trans. Most of the pieces are black and yellow, but there is a small smattering of white and grey as well.

04pieces1.jpg

Here are some of the pieces that I found interesting. A yellow scoop, a large hinge plate with a hole for a trans window, two large yellow pieces that serve as the front and back of the truck’s dumper, a yellow turntable, two printed tiles, and four half bushings that interestingly have a toothed edge. I believe this was how they were made in the early days of Technic, which is why I don’t have many of them.

05pieces2.jpg

Dig N’ Dump includes two very sharp construction workers – a standard machinery operator, and a guy that I feel represents an overseer or architect. The latter is my favorite of the two, as he has a cool jacket and a red baseball cap. The former, while nice, is found in many other construction kits (I have 4 or 5!), so he isn’t as special.

06figs.jpg

6581 unfortunately is very sparse when it comes to accessories, containing only a single small sign that is built out of four parts. While it is nice, I wish they had included some tools like a shovel or a broom.

07sign.jpg

The Build:

Dig N’ Dump is put together very quickly, and the techniques used are fairly simple. The only thing I could see a 6 year old having trouble with would be the technic axles, but other than that it is very easy. Here are a few shots of the build in progress:

08build1.jpg

09build2.jpg

10build3.jpg

The Finished Model:

Let’s start with the wonderful dump truck. This baby is pretty big compared to many classic town kits, and would probably feel at home even among the modern City construction line. Please note that I had to make a minor substitution – one of the large yellow 10x4 plates is replaced with two yellow 10x2 plates. This is barely noticeable, however.

11model1.jpg

Here’s the front, which uses several circular pieces as lights and an exhaust stack.

12model2.jpg

The back of the dump, showing off the neat bumper with the printed tile.

13model3.jpg

One of the cool things about this model is that it is very flexible. The dumper can tip nearly 145 degrees, and the front can turn using a special hinge plate. This adds to the playability a ton, and I’m sure kids found this kit very easy to drive around back in 1996.

14model4.jpg

The interior is simple, as usual. There's no seat, but there is a steering wheel.

15model5.jpg

Next is the digger. It’s pretty small, but it’s also really cute.

16model6.jpg

Here’s a close-up shot. Instead of a steering wheel, the driver controls this machine using two joysticks.

17model7.jpg

Back view of the digger. A couple lights and a grilled brick add some detail.

18model8.jpg

The digger is also very flexible. Its scoop can extend fairly far, and the base can turn a full 360 degrees. Pretty good for a model this small.

19model9.jpg

The Model in Action:

It's very fun to play with this kit. Making scenes like this one is just as enjoyable as building it. :classic:

00intro.jpg

After the foundations of his home were chewed away by rats, Marty Blockover was pleasantly surprised by Ty Brickington and the crew of Extreme Lego Makeover: Home Edition. They’ve already set to work demolishing his old building to make room for a new house, as Ty does his trademark yelling through his megaphone.

20diorama.jpg

Summary:

Presentation – 9/10

Pieces – 8/10 (some really unusual and cool pieces are included)

Minifigs – 8/10

Model – 9/10 (very effective, and has just the right amount of detail)

Playability – 8/10 (great, but more accessories could have helped)

Price – 8/10

Overall Rating – 8.3/10

Like so many other Classic Town sets, Dig N’ Dump contains an awesome mix of nice design, great figures and parts, and nice playability. It’s not the most amazing kit ever, but it’s still a very effective and fun package. If you love Classic Town and want a great construction set for your display, 6581 is for you.

Other Resources:

Brickset Entry for set 6581

Peeron inventory for set 6581

Bricklink entry for set 6581

Brickshelf folder for this review (when public)

Edited by Grevious

Awesome review :thumbup: . I have this set too it is one of the few town sets I do have and it is possibly my favourite although not put together right now..

That dump truck is quite nice. It's larger than most town vehicles from that period. The excavator is sort of lacking though and seems to have been an afterthought to the set.

four half bushings that interestingly have a toothed edge. I believe this was how they were made in the early days of Technic, which is why I don’t have many of them.

They used these until 1998, along with several other parts with the same kind of teeth. Most of mine are actually of this variety.

Edited by CP5670

Awesome review . I have this set too it is one of the few town sets I do have and it is possibly my favourite although not put together right now..

Thanks! :classic:

That dump truck is quite nice. It's larger than most town vehicles from that period. The excavator is sort of lacking though and seems to have been an afterthought to the set.

Yeah. Actually, from what I can tell, the new CITY dump truck from the 2009 line actually doesn't look like it will tower over the one in this kit, which is unusual. I agree that the digger is a bit lacking, but I like that TLC gave kids an extra vehicle in the set. Nowadays, it seems like TLC rarely ever releases smaller kits with more than one vehicle. :sceptic:

They used these until 1998, along with several other parts with the same kind of teeth. Most of mine are actually of this variety.

Ah, that's what I thought. Thanks for confirming that. :wink:

Edited by Grevious

Grevious, thanks for doing this fine review, especially when it belongs to Classic Town range. The size of the dump truck is ideal for Classic Town settings. Unlike, the recent CITY dump truck which was released over the years, the scale is a little too big, compared to this. Looking at the digger, I must admit it is useful and I am impressed by the 360 degree rotation feature. Imagine when you are a kid, you will be likely to swirl it around and extending the bucket back and forth. :laugh:

By the way, this review has been indexed and it has been also featured in Classic-Town.net. :wink:

Now, where is your poll? :look:

The size of the dump truck is ideal for Classic Town settings. Unlike, the recent CITY dump truck which was released over the years, the scale is a little too big, compared to this.

I'm pretty sure the new CITY dump truck is just about the same size as this one.

I'm pretty sure the new CITY dump truck is just about the same size as this one.

The new CITY dump truck is almost of the same size as the featured dump truck. I am not referring to that. :tongue:

These are the recent Dump trucks which I am referring to,

7344-1.jpg

7998-1.jpg

I really like the excavator. Its simplicity is its strong point, IMO. I'm a sucker for small, wheeled vehicles, however.

Great job on the review Grevious. This set has some cool features, nothing special but still cool.

Great review Grevious - except for the lack of the poll (as WhiteFang mentioned).

I don't remember this set at all, but I like it. It would have made a great addition to 6383 Public Works Center, except 6383 was released in 1981.

There's something really charming about these old 4-stud wide vehicles. It's that "minimalist" building style, yet enough pieces to capture the look of what the vehicle is suppose to be. I really like the digger. It reminds me of the small CAT diggers used to dig swimming pools.

Although the set doesn't have any classic road construction signs, a definate "5" from me. :thumbup:

This set seem pretty good, as I guess before. I was thinking to get one from eBay but just held the plan up as a new dumper is coming in 2009.

Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the comments guys! Interestingly enough, the dump "truck" from 2005 is one of the few CITY sets that I despise. It's so big that I like to refer to it as a "dump tank," as it could probably crush an entire military base with its girth. :grin:

Now, where is your poll? :look:

Right up there, silly goose! :tongue: In all seriousness, I knew I forgot something - I seem to do that every single review. One of these days I'll figure this out.... :hmpf:

The concept for that 7344 truck is different from this set. It's supposed to be one of the huge trucks found in mines and quarries, like this. It was a great idea that wasn't really well executed, due to a lot of <insert that tiresome argument>, special purpose parts it used like the dumper.

The concept for that 7344 truck is different from this set. It's supposed to be one of the huge trucks found in mines and quarries, like this. It was a great idea that wasn't really well executed, due to a lot of <insert that tiresome argument>, special purpose parts it used like the dumper.

I really didn't have a problem with the juniorization, as making the dumper out of bricks would have driven the cost up a ton. The problem I had was that it just didn't fit in with the normal construction line, and really won't fit in any town display - classic or CITY. That's why I'm glad that 2009 is bringing us a normal dump truck that most everyone could use in their towns. :classic:

The new CITY dump truck is almost of the same size as the featured dump truck. I am not referring to that. :tongue:

These are the recent Dump trucks which I am referring to,

{images here}

Ah; that would make more sense :blush:

Hi!

I'm not one for "necromancing" old threads needlessly, but this is one of the VERY FEW town sets for which I was able to recreate one of the alternate models from a single photo from the back of the box - the road grader. Hopefully my photos will help people recreate it, including myself - I never bothered to recreate it in LDD or any virtual lego software!

The last photo is of the bricks not used in its construction.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=185132