KimT

Chrome Darth Vader

umm... being lucky?

Buying it off bricklink?

Well, if you like paying hundreds of dollars :hmpf: I would suggest going to Kmart and rip open the boxes, no one seems to care there. (dont do that really)

I suppose a hand-held scale would work, but it would have to be pretty advanced. And that device that DP mentioned... I would think that only the secret service would have such sophisticated technology. :laugh:

This is nothing against starstreak at all, but he think it was faked. First of all, I'm pretty sure chrome Vaders don't come in battlepacks, even though Nannan says they can... not in America, at least. Second, it's really easy for someone to reseal a box, or just hide the opened part on video. I don't know why anyone would go through all this trouble just to show off, but there's little possibility that starstreak filmed this particular box by chance (it sounded pretty rehearsed to me). Even if he did have a way of weighing or shaking the box, there's no real guarantee. But there it was anyway, and he definitely knew for sure that it would be in the box.

Again, this is nothing against starstreak, I just have a hard time believing this. :sceptic:

I suppose a hand-held scale would work, but it would have to be pretty advanced. And that device that DP mentioned... I would think that only the secret service would have such sophisticated technology. :laugh:

This is nothing against starstreak at all, but he think it was faked. First of all, I'm pretty sure chrome Vaders don't come in battlepacks, even though Nannan says they can... not in America, at least. Second, it's really easy for someone to reseal a box, or just hide the opened part on video. I don't know why anyone would go through all this trouble just to show off, but there's little possibility that starstreak filmed this particular box by chance (it sounded pretty rehearsed to me). Even if he did have a way of weighing or shaking the box, there's no real guarantee. But there it was anyway, and he definitely knew for sure that it would be in the box.

Again, this is nothing against starstreak, I just have a hard time believing this. :sceptic:

If I were him I would feel terrible that quite a few people think he is lying, and announce the method used. Otherwise there's really no point in showing it off...

But, I have nothing against him, we probably just have different opinions on the matter. :classic:

The only reasonable method that I can fathom, which was suggested at TBB, is to buy a bunch of sets, take them home, weigh them and return the ones that don't pan out...

Not sure how that would go over at the store though...

Steve

I tried that today with about 15 BPs, but the all weighed the same :sadnew:

Perhaps before hand, you could weigh a normal Vader figure (With cape and lightsaber) and a polybag , and see if there is a difference of that weight between sets... :wink:

Perhaps before hand, you could weigh a normal Vader figure (With cape and lightsaber) and a polybag , and see if there is a difference of that weight between sets... :wink:

I used the approximate weight of the BPs according to BL, and the average weight of the other Vaders to see what amount I should be looking for.

First of all I would just guess he got confirmation that it was in there from some one else, maybe a store owner knew he was getting one or something?

Here's the problem I see with weighing things, one there could be missing parts or larger extra parts that could make things not compare well.

Where the instruction manual is inside the box could possibly screw up the weight, especially if its a large box and manual.

But most of all, isn't that a lot of work? I once heard people weighing packs of trading cards against each other to try and till which pack had the holographic card because that would offset the weight by like a gram :hmpf: Come on isn't that a little strenuous? How much does a Vader Package weigh anyway, it can't be that much. If I had to guess someone is probly taking a little pocket knife, cutting a whole in the side (just a small one so no one notices it) then taking a miniature flashlight and peeking around.

Maybe he bought a load of BPs and filmed himself opening each one by one until he found one with the Vader in it!

That's what I was initially thinking but wouldn't there be at least a bit more surprise from him when he saw it, at least a little jolt or change of voice inflection with the surprise. But who knows.

Maybe he bought a load of BPs and filmed himself opening each one by one until he found one with the Vader in it!

Thats another thing that I though. Maybe he put on that whole show just for each one?

Another (tedious) method- Buy several from a few stores and return them if they are vaderless. use a few stores just in case.

Why doesnt starstreak post here? I think he could've went to Wal-Mart or K-mart during the day so the kiddies will be at school and shook all the boxes

Edited by prateek

Why doesnt starstreak post here? I think he could've went to Wal-Mart or K-mart during the day so the kiddies will be at school and shook all the boxes

Maybe he isn't on? :hmpf: You cant really expect someone to be on all the time.

I would have thought the answer was staring everyone in the face :hmpf:

Since these are 'Chrome' Vaders, he obviously used a metal detector!

:laugh::wink:

I'd love to hear if there is a good way of improving odds of getting these promo vaders.

Regardless, though, I really want to know who is finding them and where. Could we start a list here on EB and report who is finding these things and how? I would really like to get some information and see where people are getting lucky locally, and then we can start basing some of these assumptions and rumors on better facts.

Could we start a list here on EB and report who is finding these things and how? I would really like to get some information and see where people are getting lucky locally, and then we can start basing some of these assumptions and rumors on better facts.

That would be nice, but how do we prove that someone's Vader actually came out of the stated set? :sceptic: Apparently, not even a video of a Chrome Vader coming out of the box of a set is proof enough. :tongue:

Since these are 'Chrome' Vaders, he obviously used a metal detector!

:laugh::wink:

:laugh:

Wait a minute! Does that actually work? :oh: If so, that would be the first actually affective way of checking for the Chrome Vader since it would be easy to bring a powerful magnet into a store and check if there is resistance if you hold it up to box!

Can anyone confirm if these Vaders respond to magnets at all?

Wait a minute! Does that actually work? :oh: If so, that would be the first actually affective way of checking for the Chrome Vader since it would be easy to bring a powerful magnet into a store and check if there is resistance if you hold it up to box!

The "chrome" is just a shiny paint...

They're still plastic.

I dont think the chrome paint they use is magnetic, but I dont know until some one tries. Someone go run and try it.

That would be nice, but how do we prove that someone's Vader actually came out of the stated set? :sceptic: Apparently, not even a video of a Chrome Vader coming out of the box of a set is proof enough. :tongue:

:laugh:

They're just plastic! :tongue: Just because they're shiny doesn't mean they're metal. :tongue: Though weighing could help.

By the way, someone said to weigh a Vader and weigh a polybag. I don't think a polybag is significantly heavy enough for a scale to even realize it's there. :tongue:

By the way, someone said to weigh a Vader and weigh a polybag. I don't think a polybag is significantly heavy enough for a scale to even realize it's there. :tongue:

What about a really precise scale? (

rascal!

)

I think its just pure luck. Yeah maybe he did open the box before he filmed or he just filmed opening boxes until he did find the elusive darth vader. Im not going to try I highly doubt that the chrome darth vader will be hiding in boxes in New Zealand. Good luck for any one thats going to try hunt one down though!! :vader: :vader: :vader:

Chrome is metal, wont a metal detector work lol.

Read the thread. :wink: It looks chrome. In essence, it's shiny plastic.

But, if there is an easy method I'd love to hear about it. :wink:

I think the way with weighing the boxes is good as long as you don't get caught. But lets face it I could walk into 5 toys r us and still not find one even by ripping open all the star wars sets. Maybe you could just get one specially made by Lego for a certain price.

Anyway the best way is to not bother wasteing time and just always hope for the best. If you don't succeed then just buy one off tthe internet. I myself would love one but I don't want to spend hours searching.

I myself would love one but I don't want to spend hours searching.

I feel about the same way. When I see it I think "Wow! What a cool minifig!" but a little plastic man is not worth tons and tons of effort. :tongue:

Maybe bring a scan-thing they use to scan bags on the airport to the shop? :tongue:

Or make a small hole in the box and put a micro-camera with night-vision into the box? :grin:

I would love to have the Chrome Vader, it's so....Shiny! :wub: