NewRight

REVIEWS: 8396 Soldier's Arsenal & 8397 Pirate Survival

How do you rate these impulses?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate 8396 Soldier's Arsenal?

• Outstanding
    • Above Average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor
  2. 2. How do you rate 8397 Pirate Survival?

• Outstanding
    • Above Average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor

CIMG5394.jpg

Set 1 - 8386

Set Name 1: Soldier's Arsenal

Set Number 1: 8396

Theme: Pirates

Set 1 Elements: 17 Pieces

Set 1 Minifig: 1 Soldier

Release Dates: 2009

Release Price: $3.49 - $4.99 (Aprox. 2.74€ - 3.92€)

Set 1 Links:

~BrickSet~BrickLink~BrickShelf Soon!~

Set 2 - 8397

Set Name 2: Pirate Survival

Set Number 2: 8397

Theme: Pirates

Set 2 Elements: 16 Pieces

Set 2 Minifig: 1 Pirate

Release Dates: 2009

Release Price: $3.49 - $4.99 (Aprox. 2.74€ - 3.92€)

Set 2 Links:

~BrickSet~BrickLink~BrickShelf Soon!~

Opening:

A visit down to the local Toys R' Us (TRU) store proved successful. Only the impulse sets were available there currently from all the other great sets to chose from in this new Pirates theme the LEGO Company astounds us all with. I managed to pick up a few of the impulse sets that are currently available. Going into specifics I actually bought the last impulse sets available in the store and had to browse the impulse sets to find them, but that is aside from the point. You are here for the review of course. :pir-tongue:

Before we go into the review a group photo with the Imperial Impulses and the one Pirate Impulse. Everybody say arr!

CIMG5384.jpg

(Uh-Oh watch the choking hazard)

BoxArt:

And now boxes of both sets for comparison etc. LEGO always amazes me with new both art and how complex it becomes when compared to older sets even from the last Pirate line.

CopyofCIMG5386.jpg

CIMG5390.jpg

BoxSide:

And the side of each set. Fish = Pirate as Cutlass = Imperial. (I think that is a safe analogy.)

CIMG5393.jpg

BoxBack:

No actual details on the back other than the sets 6243 BrickBeard's Bounty and 6242 Soldier's Fort.

8396 Details:

CIMG5408.jpg

CIMG5428.jpg

Not much to critique on impulses, but I am not impressed by the 2x4 brown base. I personally think it would have looked better as a 1x4. The 2x4 does help with balance though and is a positive. The Imperial hat is amazing all the details as well. Though that is more a minifigure compliment rather than the set as a whole.

Q: What is better than one impulse?

A: 3 Impulses Of Course! :pir-tongue:

CIMG5409.jpg

8397 Details:

CIMG5414.jpg

CIMG5430.jpg

No many details since there isn't much to build. The container piece looks nice, but would probably be better suited as a barrel. (Personal Preference) :pir-skull:

Minifigures:

Next we have the minifigure in my opinion the whole reason for purchasing the set. :pir-classic:

CIMG5396.jpg

The torso has so many detail and is great compared to the originals, but it also has the classic style that we love about LEGO and about the Pirates theme to be specific. Here is and older photo of the Imperial courtesy of Bricklink. (For Comparison)

pi062.jpg

Our new Pirate minifigure is great!

CIMG5398.jpg

The detailing the on the torso and head compliment each other beautifully. I feel we have a lot more opportunities for new designs throughout the Pirate line. :thumbup:

Accessories:

CIMG5438.jpg

The new reddish-brown pistols will compliment any new Pirate MOCs and the returning rifles in the reddish-brown look great. The rifles seem to be made of a cheaper quality plastic and I have had wear happen to a previous one. Lets hope this one holds up better! :kahuka:

CIMG5433.jpg

The rod on the fish is also a tad long. We demand 3-Long bars. Or the hole in the fishes mouth could have been longer to give a more realistic appearance. :cannon:

Extra Elements

CIMG5411.jpg

An extra blue epaulet and cutlass is in every Imperial impulse which is great. The Pirate Survival set unfortunately does not include any extra pieces. That is understandable though.

Stickers/Torso

No actual stickers were included in the set, but some great torso designs of course and to any decal creators out there here a some photos to the design of the new pirate head and front torso. Enjoy! :pir-laugh:

CIMG5416.jpg

CIMG5418.jpg

Playability

Ton o' playability matey. Add some larger sets to this and fun can be abundant. Or even to expand your collection these bricks are perfect. See what our "Child Test Labs" and "Pirates of the Carribean Fanatics" managed to come up with. :pir-wink:

CIMG5431.jpg

CIMG5437.jpg

CIMG5434.jpg

Rating

8396 Soldier's Arsenal

Build: 5/10 This is of course due to is small size. It gets a 5 for having the newest parts out though.

Design: 4/10 No great techniques. Simply a quick and easy build.

Price: 5/10 A bit pricey for only 17 bricks, but the minifig is understandable for that price. It's BrickLink value should increase that way. :shark:

Minifig: 9/10 To many great details. If only there were more minifigures designed to this level of perfection.

Convenience: 9.5/10 Found quickly and easily at the TRU store (Toy's R' Us) but reports of it not being available everywhere yet bring the rating down a little.

A great set and completely worth the price for everything it comes with. :thumbup:

8397 Pirate Survival

Build: 3/10 Nothing is actually built in the set. The only purchase reason would be for accessories.

Design: 4/10 Since nothing is actually built is hard to rate this part, but it seems like this is a normal LEGO impulse.

Price: 6/10 Who doesn't want Pirates. I think LEGO realizes people will pay $5 for one minifigure and is using that to there advantage. I can't say I blame them at all.

Minifig: 8/10 So many great details in him, but the torso design and head seem a tad overused in the line.

Convenience: 9.5/10 Found quickly, but they only seemed to have one Pirate left when I had seemed to get a little greedy and want 2 or 3. :pir-grin:

Worth every penny spent. Pirates Arr!

Overall both sets are great and are good for different reasons. I hope this review either influences you to buy either one or both of these great sets or if it warns you about a flaw you notice that I may have missed and not noted. :monkey:

I hope you enjoyed the review I hope to do some more.

Thank You,

NewRight :jollyroger:

Edited by Bonaparte

If you read the review, you know it :pir-tongue:

Already saw the review at the acedemy, i really like how you compare certain things to older sets!

really nice review of 2 nice impulse sets^^ I'm sure going to buy these set in quantity, to build a little army ^^

great review.

this impulses really can make pirates army builder.

nice extra parts.

can't wait until this sets come to my country.

Cheers for the review and God Bless,

Nathan

Thanks for that very fine review, NewRight. :pir-sweet:

The Soldier´s Impulse looks simply perfect. I´m very glad they included the backpack, too.

The Pirate´s one looks also great. The fish on a stick´s and the lil´ campfire´s pretty neat,

but I´m not sure about the pickaxe... perhaps a parrot would be better...

Everybody say arr!

Arr!

Great review NewRight. Your pictures are very nice. I love boxed Impulse Sets! Unfortunately, my local TRU doesn't have any of these yet. Once they do, I will definately buy a few.

Weapon racks always make neat little sets with a single fig. We are seeing a lot of clone faces on the Imperial redcoats though - just about one in every set. I would prefer to see a more plain face that would work better for army building. What I like about the Arsenal though is that he has a backpack, a piece not contained in any of the other four sets that I own. I'm guessing there might be one in the Pirate Fort. A barrel would have made a nice piece to include too. I still rate this little set a strong 5!

The Pirate Survival set is equally nice. I love the fish! With a flame, gems, and a pick (great piece), it's the perfect little set.

Thanks for the outstanding dual review. :thumbup: I can't wait for the Pirate Fort and the Ship, my next two sets. I'm going to keep looking for these Impulse sets as well.

Thanks for the wonderful review. I definitely plan on getting several of these when they show up in the Lego store. The minifigs in the Pirates line are amazing, IMO.

I've stopped by and looked for these too. Unsuccessful so far. When I was down in Anaheim on Monday, I stopped by the the Lego store. They said they should have them in by the first week of December

And another great New Pirates Sets review! Very well done NewRight, I voted above average for the both of them, since I think it can be sold even cheaper (and it might in the very near future...)

BTW: I frontpaged it on Classic-Pirates as well, thats how much I like your review, NewRight! I hope you don't mind.

Arr! 2 awesome sets that you've oh so wonderfully reviews, TheBrickster! Thank you very much! I'll be sure to pick up that Pirate set. :thumbup:

~Peace

I think I will pick up a few of the Soldier's Arsenal. It looks like it would plug right in to the Soldier's Fort in one of the empty buildings so there would be a small armory available to the soldiers. Excellent!

This Soldier and Piratre reveiw was AMAZING! :pir-classic: It has made me want to buy both sets especialy because of the minifigures the soldier is great,but all i want to know is how much does it cost in English Pounds £. :jollyroger:

I found both of these at the local TRU last nite. Know how TRU likes to hike the price up on smaller sets, I did a price check, and they both were 5.99$! That's a dollar more than the fall impulse sets which were priced 1.50$ higher than at Target!