On a scale of 1 to 5  

96 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor

Very nice set. $6 for two figures, a cannon, and a wall! What a steal. I really like the new cannon color as well and the fact that they are bringing back the short-lived firing cannons.

Very nice review! This set looks nice, well chosen parts/figs for a simple little set.

I liked the close-up view of the cannon. I know people had already described it as "pearl dark grey", and I had surmised even from one of the pre-lim photos that the cannons might be in a "gunmetal" type colour, but this photo really confirmed it. I have a couple of robot upper arms in this colour, and I was hoping that's what the cannons would be in, because whatever metallic look is added by the pearl effect, the pearl dark-grey is quite convincing as a gunmetal type colour.

I simply can't wait to get hold of this set, and the others. I'll have to get some extra cannons, either by multiple purchases of these small sets, or by bricklinking. I can't see myself going back to the old cannons for anything but classic sets or scenes (and even then it might be interesting to mod an old set by sprucing it up with the new cannons, new colours and new soldiers/pirates).

Thanks for another great review, brickster! I didn't really pay much attention to this and the other smaller sized set, but you changed my mind! You just gotta love those new metal clored cannons and the new minifigs with printed backs are lovely aswell, i hope TLG will continue to do that! :thumbup:

now, the only set we're missing good pictures and a review of, is the ship

I love the new colour of the canons, they looks really nice! this little wall is cool too ^^ I think that I'm going to buy a lot of these sets when they'll come out here in Switzerland^^

Looks like an ok set, the "wall" is kinda useless, but I guess it ads playability.

I love the new firing cannon. The small piece in the back can be pulled just slightly and when it bounces back, it pushes the hollow cannon brick (round 1x1):

Why did they get rid of the old one?, it worked fine. Does this shoot further, or haven't you compared?

Thanks for the review, Brickster! :thumbup:

Honestly, this may be the first set in ages that I might actually get more than one of. The cheap price combined with a cannon, two figures, and acessories had me sold as soon as I saw the first picture back in August. The minifigs are especially superb - they're easily some of the best lego figures ever. :pir-sweet:

Edited by Grevious

This is another one of those sets that's good for army building. Because not only do you get the two figs, you get the cannon. I'll buy several of these, I'm sure. Thanks for posting the review!

Yes, I am certainly going to buy some of this set as well!

And TheBrickster, I frontpaged it on Classic Pirates as well, hope you don't mind, I just love your reviews :thumbup: , they are amongst the very best of EB and beyond.

Great review Brickster,

Very thorough. I'm glad to see that alot of these new pirate sets have dark green bandanas, as those of us with the originals have plenty of blue and red. I was also pleased to see that it includes and extra blue epaulette piece, the one color epaulelette I want more of.

One question, in the pics, the blue epaulette's seem to be of a more vibrant color than the older pirate blue epaulette color. Are they a different shade, or is it just my monitor?

01box1.jpg Front

What is is with the USA and child safety warnings! :pir-sad2: We don't have massive labels here! Can't the warning be more discrete at least?

I suppose it has something to do with law - it always does... but anyway back on topic.

Thanks for the review Brickster. :thumbup: Quite detailed for a small set.

I think I preferred the preliminary collapsing wall design but this one wil do.

I'll definately get this when any Pirate sets come out in the Uk. (which reminds me... :pir_bawling::pir_mad: )

This set is very nicely priced...I'll be getting 1-2. Unfortunately, it's pretty much the only Pirate set that doesn't look overpriced to me. Most of the rest do, especially since Lego went the cheap route and didn't even include baseplates in the $40-$50 sets.

I like the looks of this one so much that I ordered three from TRU's website yesterday. I will probaly also get a few of the impulse sets and the dock. Despite what some people say I do like the new pirate line (though the ship is a bit out of my price range right now).

Great review Brickster!

I definitely want multiples of this lovely set. A cannon, 2 minifigs, weapons and some plants for $6 make it a great parts pack.

I got two of these sets at my TRU today with the 15% off coupons. I'm done getting the new pirate sets already. :pir_laugh2:

THis possibly makes a better Impulse set than the actual impulse sets, just because of the cannon!

Much better than the soldier impulse. For $2.50 more you get the cannon, a pirate, and other pieces that include most of the pieces from the impulse anyway.

I also saw the kraken attackin and the $10 pirate creator set but nothing else.

Heh, I just realized...the last time I got a set this small in a store at retail price was back in the 90's.

Edited by MillerTime

great review.

nice minifigs and cannon.

great for army building.

hope this set come cheap in my country.

Why did they get rid of the old one?, it worked fine. Does this shoot further, or haven't you compared?

In america they had only the first weak or something like that the shooting cannons in 1989. Somehow they decided it was dangerous and they changed it to non shooting cannons, but only for the U.S.A. (don't know about Canada). So for some people in America is the shooting cannon a "new" version.

Thank you for the nice review. Although the figs have some common faces they look very good.

I wished they had made a light bluish grey roofcorner for this set instead of the pearl gold they already put in every crownies castle set. The new metalcoloured Cannon looks also very nice. The idea of this cannon pulled forward by a horse is a nice idea to put in mind.

The idea of this cannon pulled forward by a horse is a nice idea to put in mind.

Definately!

The idea was also used by Playmobil:

3111.jpg

Their older Royal Cannon set:

3857.jpg

I lke this set but how much does it cost in the English pound. :jollyroger:

1. I can pretty much confirm that this set will be

Edited by The Rancor