Sign in to follow this  
I Scream Clone

Bones and Calamari

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 37c

Bones and Calamari

What could possibly bring pirates and the Navy together?

Captain Abyss and his scurvy denizens of the deep!

Captain Abyss has dispatched his crew to liberate one of their recently reanimated crew mates. The poor island residents not knowing what to do with such an unholy creature, hastily locked him away in their jail. Little did they know what perils awaited them.

Riding his giant squid into battle, Captain Abyss gives the order to Pillage the Village !

The pirates and the Navy are quick to sum up the dire situation, and band together against the army from the depths. Arming themselves with whatever they can, be it cannons, pistols, brooms or even sheep, the islanders hope to make one last stand!

Do these poor souls stand a chance? read on to see!

Yar, this be the overall shot

l1.jpg

No!!!! I forgot my clean underwear!

l10.jpg

Anarchy on the island!

l11.jpg

Catch of the day!

A poor maiden is dragged off in a net

l9.jpg

Any means necessary!

Sometimes sheep make a great weapon too.

l31.jpg

Captain Abyss and his pet have some people for lunch.

l2.jpg

More pictures of peril can be found here when moderated, ya scurvy dogs!

Thank you all for looking. I wish all competitors good luck!

Would the MODs be able to change my description to complete if thats cool.

Edited by SlyOwl

I really like the giant squid idea (possibly because I have one in my medium entry; wa-hey! shameless slef plug! :pir-grin: ). Also, the tower looks absolutely amazing!

Maybe you could use a red Technic ball for the pupil instead of a black one; that way, it'd up the evil squid factor and match the evil skellie pupils.

Also, perhaps some white plates to represent waves breaking on the shore. Other than that, I've got nothing.

I look forward to seeing this develeop, and look even further forward to seeing the finished product!

YAAARR! :pir-sing:

-Nich

Looking great ISC!

The squid is fantastic and the way you made the building angle so it looks like the squid is pulling it in is also wonderful.

Your rocks and SNOT water are also nice.

Some suggestions:

1) Right now the transition between the light blue and blue in the water is a bit bold if you know what I mean. I think it would look better to mix the two where they meet. Also where the water hits the shore, some white would be nice as waves.

2) You may do this anyway, but I would add some more little huts or other type of small building.

3) Of course adding palm trees and other plants always livens things up a lot.

4) One rough idea I thought would be good here, would be to add a large statue or fountain where the brown currently is. I think that would be rather cool.

=========================================================

It looks great so far and I look forward to seeing it when it's a bit more finished to make more comments. :pir-classic:

Nice work!

I see a lot of improvements to it :pir-tongue: like add characters and details :pir_laugh2:

well that's a nice start^^ I love your giant squid! I think it'll be a very nice entry when you'll finish it! ^^

My opinion:

You have a good start for making a nice entry, although a lot of work needs to be done yet. The giant squid looks very good, especcialy because it is brick made.

Possible improvements/suggestions:

1) If you have the manpower and bricks, add a battery of multiple cannons just behind the shore and target them at the giant squid. This way we have a real battle!

2) Adding more details and houses, minifigs and stuff would be logically. Erdbeereis1 has some nice suggestions, like that statue or fountain!

3) Your coastal line looks a bit weird, too straight actually. Since it is a lot of work changing that, you might try to hide it a bit, by adding items to the water like destroyed boats.

Non-Brick related advise:

1) For such a large MOC I always suggest you take the pictures at 800x640.

2) When you take your definitive pictures, try adding a white background, that way all the attention goes to your MOC.

Edited by zorro3999

Thanks guys for all the feedback. Yes rest assured there will be figures on the complete MOC. I have already got some ideas where it is heading too.

Stay tuned.

It's a good base you've got there.

The giant squid is brilliant. I really like it! And the idea about it pulling a tower aprat is good too I think.

The tower it self is very nice too. I like the design a lot.

Possible improvements

First of all, you MOC is not done yet, so there's so much you could do. Adding minifigs for instance :pir-tongue:

Anyways, I would add a minifig or in the tower. With a frightened face - they tower is going to be eaten or something like that. You could might even have a minifig falling out of the tower.

You shoreline is way to straight. You've got the shallow water, and thats good i think, but try to make some curves, and maybe even a stone og small rock pulling out of the water. Some plants and stuff on the beach would help too.

A hanging man in the gallows maybe?

A battery of cannons at the wall. Ready to fight pirates or whoever attackts.. except for giant squids :pir-tongue:

When you skellies attack remember blood.. lots of blood!

I'm looking forward to see how this turns out.

I have thought of a few more things that might look good in your entry.

Some more ideas:

1) I think it would look very nice to have some boats in the water. Some could be sinking perhaps, because the "calamari" attacked them.

2) The falling tower could perhaps use a bit more details. Maybe some lanterns, falling soldiers, some pieces that stick out a little like in Sir Nadroj's large entry, or cannons.

===============================================================

I definitely am looking forward to seeing the finished product, which I believe will turn out great judging from the prelim pictures.

I have thought of a few more things that might look good in your entry.

Some more ideas:

1) I think it would look very nice to have some boats in the water. Some could be sinking perhaps, because the "calamari" attacked them.

2) The falling tower could perhaps use a bit more details. Maybe some lanterns, falling soldiers, some pieces that stick out a little like in Sir Nadroj's large entry, or cannons.

===============================================================

I definitely am looking forward to seeing the finished product, which I believe will turn out great judging from the prelim pictures.

I have taken the prelim pics down as I expect to have the finished pics up today or tomorrow. Almost happy enough to call it complete, and some of the ideas you mentioned are already included Erd, so thanks heaps. You criticism was most useful.

Cheers

ISC :pir_laugh2:

That little teaser looks excellent ISC!

It seems to have lots of action, some nice buildings and good humor. The islander in the little crate is funny. :pir_laugh2:

I wonder what the story behind the skeletons is....

I'm very excited to see the final product! :pir-classic:

I like your little teaser picture.

Idea

You could have calamari eating people and have skeletons come out of the see.

Here is a quick pic to show off the complete Large Pillage the Village entry. This is the largest MOC I have built to date and I hope it makes you smile.

l2.jpg

My thanks to Eurobricks for such a fun competition. :pir-skull:

Opinion

I Scream Clone; your work has paid off by creating a wonderful MOC! This looks much better instead of when it was just the calamari and land. I like how the evil skeletons are against the pirates and Imperial Armada. I am surprised that the pirates and Imperial Armada are teaming up, since they both hate each other. The beach is really well done and how you made the beaches geography different in different places. The thing that is funny is that one of the pirates is using sheep as a weapon. The house is well created and the roof is terrific! I also like how you included a little jail cell in your MOC. The calamari attacking the tower is my favorite part.

Possible Improvements

1) Put tiles on the ground to cover it completely if you have enough pieces to do so.

2) Maybe it would look cooler if you had a monkey fighting against the evil pirates.

3) In the middle of your water, it looks empty. Possibly you could have a pirate in a little boat firing a cannon at the calamari.

4) Put a guard on the top of the tower that the calamari is attacking.

Non-Brick Related

1) Some grammar mistakes. Example; Pirates and Navy are quick....... It should be Pirates and the Navy are very quick.......

Overall- I Scream Clone, your hard work has paid off and your final product is great! There are some tiny things that I suggest that you fix. I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

Beautiful work ISC! :pir_laugh2:

After seeing that little teaser picture, I had high hopes for this, and you didn't disappoint! I'm glad to see you really fixed the transition between the waters well.

Your entry has lots of exciting action, a lovely giant squid and nice buildings. I love the "sheep attack". :pir-laugh: The buildings have great colors and detail. Combining white and tan for the colors was a wise decision and that building on the left has a great roof. The way you mounded the plates gives the entry and much more 3D feel, which is often lacking in MOCs.

Some improvement ideas:

1) The right middle section of the water looks quite bare. I love LegoKing's idea of a boat with a cannon shooting at the squid.

You could also have a little sailboat with a scared head minifig in it.

2) Maybe a few more bloody bodies? :pir-devil: I also feel that there could be a bit more blood where it's used.

3) Perhaps you could put something on the top of the tower, as it looks slightly empty at the moment. Some ideas would be a cannon or another guard.

===========================================================================

It's good to see how this entry came from an ISC mind-block ( :pir-tongue: ), to something as nice-looking as this.

Great job and good luck! :kahuka:

lol, as usual, it's a funny moc you did ISC ^^

I love the sheep used as weapon XD

what I think you can improve on it ? mhhh..

the house is cool, the roof is nice, the tower is cool, but the studded beach don't like the flash/strong light pointed at it I think ^^ try to takes the pics without flash

I think a picture with the guy hiding under the brown thing on the water on the foreground, and the rest of the entry behind him ^^

what's happening on the house ? we can see fire coming out from the windows I think, but I think that's something you have to improve^^

anyway, that's a nice entry^^ and I wish you the best for the contest!

Opinion

I Scream Clone; your work has paid off by creating a wonderful MOC! This looks much better instead of when it was just the calamari and land. I like how the evil skeletons are against the pirates and Imperial Armada. I am surprised that the pirates and Imperial Armada are teaming up, since they both hate each other. The beach is really well done and how you made the beaches geography different in different places. The thing that is funny is that one of the pirates is using sheep as a weapon. The house is well created and the roof is terrific! I also like how you included a little jail cell in your MOC. The calamari attacking the tower is my favorite part.

Possible Improvements

1) Put tiles on the ground to cover it completely if you have enough pieces to do so.

2) Maybe it would look cooler if you had a monkey fighting against the evil pirates.

3) In the middle of your water, it looks empty. Possibly you could have a pirate in a little boat firing a cannon at the calamari.

4) Put a guard on the top of the tower that the calamari is attacking.

Non-Brick Related

1) Some grammar mistakes. Example; Pirates and Navy are quick....... It should be Pirates and the Navy are very quick.......

Overall- I Scream Clone, your hard work has paid off and your final product is great! There are some tiny things that I suggest that you fix. I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

Thanks for the input, in answer to your questions/critique

1. I wish I had that many tiles.

2. Don't own a single monkey

3. but then it would just look like Nadroj's

4. Thats the guard falling off the top of the tower

Beautiful work ISC! :pir_laugh2:

After seeing that little teaser picture, I had high hopes for this, and you didn't disappoint! I'm glad to see you really fixed the transition between the waters well.

Your entry has lots of exciting action, a lovely giant squid and nice buildings. I love the "sheep attack". :pir-laugh: The buildings have great colors and detail. Combining white and tan for the colors was a wise decision and that building on the left has a great roof. The way you mounded the plates gives the entry and much more 3D feel, which is often lacking in MOCs.

Some improvement ideas:

1) The right middle section of the water looks quite bare. I love LegoKing's idea of a boat with a cannon shooting at the squid.

You could also have a little sailboat with a scared head minifig in it.

2) Maybe a few more bloody bodies? :pir-devil: I also feel that there could be a bit more blood where it's used.

3) Perhaps you could put something on the top of the tower, as it looks slightly empty at the moment. Some ideas would be a cannon or another guard.

===========================================================================

It's good to see how this entry came from an ISC mind-block ( :pir-tongue: ), to something as nice-looking as this.

Great job and good luck! :kahuka:

Thanks for the nice appraisal.

I have no more pirate figures or Navy, so cant really add anybody else to the scene (unless stormtroopers or knights are allowed :pir-tongue: )

Not sure about the tower top, perhaps I will add something.

Thanks and good luck to you too.

lol, as usual, it's a funny moc you did ISC ^^

I love the sheep used as weapon XD

what I think you can improve on it ? mhhh..

the house is cool, the roof is nice, the tower is cool, but the studded beach don't like the flash/strong light pointed at it I think ^^ try to takes the pics without flash

I think a picture with the guy hiding under the brown thing on the water on the foreground, and the rest of the entry behind him ^^

what's happening on the house ? we can see fire coming out from the windows I think, but I think that's something you have to improve^^

anyway, that's a nice entry^^ and I wish you the best for the contest!

The house is only just alight as they have only just finished pillaging the village.

I had a pic of the guy in the water as my sneak peak, and its on my Brickshelf, its just I then have to take another pic down.

Cheers and good luck to you too Guss.

Superb.

A VERY well constructed MOC, and I mean that.

The squid is lovely. At first glance I'll admit I thought that it looked fairly simple to constuct, but upon seeing the closeup shots of it (espescially it's mouth) I was very impressed. You've crammed a lot of detail into this, and that squid attacking that superbly put together tower serves as an excellent centrepiece.

It reminds me of Pirates Of The Caribbean - not just the kraken-esque giant squid, but the whole idea of undead creatures attacking a small settlement. Inspired.

And As much as I liked the sand in your small MOC, using yellow pieces for sand here reminds me more of the original Pirates sets. I prefer the yellow sand for that reason.

Well done and good luck!

Rocketbilly

Edited by Rocketbilly