Oky

Star Wars

Ive always heard good things ahout Shadows of the Empire, is it worth reading?

Yes. (And check out some of the author's other books, like Death Star [co-written with the author of the similarly excellent Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter] while you're at it; they're all good.)

Yes. (And check out some of the author's other books, like Death Star [co-written with the author of the similarly excellent Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter] while you're at it; they're all good.)

Ah I remember reading Death Star! (Spoilers ahead)

I do find it funny though how the book gives so much prominence to one random Death Star gunner who hesitates to fire the Death Star for a second thus giving Luke the time he needs to destroy the Death Star (thus meaning Luke killed this sympathetic gunner to...).

Well I guess it is all non-canon now anyways!

I do find it funny though how the book gives so much prominence to one random Death Star gunner who hesitates to fire the Death Star for a second thus giving Luke the time he needs to destroy the Death Star (thus meaning Luke killed this sympathetic gunner to...).

If you don't like that sort of coincidence to give backstory to events...let's just say you should never read Darth Plagueis...

If you don't like that sort of coincidence to give backstory to events...let's just say you should never read Darth Plagueis...

Well I liked the coincidence when I first read Death Star. Was a great Imperial character from what I thought at the time. But as time has worn on I have forget that man's name and the situation seems more ridiculous now.

An issue I had with the original EU was how they either a) constantly shoehorned in characters from the OT films or b) made inconsequential characters make grand impacts on the films stories that have little need to be really part of the plot. The worst offender of this was the kids book series "Galaxy of Terror." I swear with the how often Luke, Leia, and Han showed up in those kids lives they might as well have been their babysitters...

An issue I had with the original EU was how they either a) constantly shoehorned in characters from the OT films or b) made inconsequential characters make grand impacts on the films stories that have little need to be really part of the plot. The worst offender of this was the kids book series "Galaxy of Terror." I swear with the how often Luke, Leia, and Han showed up in those kids lives they might as well have been their babysitters...

Agreed. The EU definitely suffered from the sheer number of (often subpar) authors all trying to one-up each other with the next great revelation or addition to the saga. (*cough* the Jedi Prince series *cough*) No disrespect intended towards Leland Chee, but he wasn't a storyteller. They needed someone with a big picture plan to manage continuity, as opposed to someone who only told authors whether or not they were contradicting an equal or higher level of existing canon. We ended up with people like Zahn who'd write great novels and then have their characters altered, put down, or killed off by other authors in their efforts to make the next big impact.

One of the very few reasons I'm glad for the canon reboot is that it stopped the power creep that culminated in the ridiculousness that was the Fate of the Jedi series.

I have been using Netflix to catch up with the Star Wars: The Clone Wars "Lost Missions" and last night watched the story arc involving Rush Clovis. As much as I love how it was hinting at Anakin's fall it seemed a bit overwrought. Seriously after watching the second episode of the story arc it's a miracle Luke and Leia still existed, with how much Padme was pissed with Anakin after that...

Speaking of The Clone Wars, I just finished watching the only two episodes I hadn't finished yet, the Jar-Jar/Mace arc towards the end of the series. I liked it overall, but I couldn't help but feel it was ripping off from Temple of Doom a bit to much. And seeing Jar Jar with a love interest was kind of weird...

Ive always heard good things ahout Shadows of the Empire, is it worth reading?

Yes, it was a fantastic book, and one of the few pieces of EU that I miss.

The synopsis for Catylyst (the prequel novel to Rogue One) has been announced and some information on Director Krennic has been revealed. Nothing that ruins anything for me but dont look into it if you want to go into RO completely fresh

Yes, it was a fantastic book, and one of the few pieces of EU that I miss.

Good to know its definitely on my list of need to read.

Has anyone read Aftermath: Life Debt? I hear its supposed to be very good, much better then the first.

On 9/3/2016 at 2:56 AM, Columbus019 said:

Have you seen gorogue, a short animated rogue one toy adventure thingy! It's pretty cool.

Columbus

Yes, but it's actually a multiple parts story, and it all hasn't been released yet.

On 9/22/2016 at 9:57 AM, Forresto said:

Has anyone read Aftermath: Life Debt? I hear its supposed to be very good, much better then the first.

I haven't, but I've heard that the Aftermath books are really good as well.  I may have to put them on my list when I'm done with all of the classic science fiction I've been reading.

Am I the only one who is finding it funny all the old spoiler tags are visible now with the forum upgrade? I hope everybody has seen episode 7 by now (like it has been nearly a year so they better off!) or just opening this topic would instantly ruin everything! :laugh:

On September 24, 2016 at 0:49 PM, x105Black said:

I haven't, but I've heard that the Aftermath books are really good as well.  I may have to put them on my list when I'm done with all of the classic science fiction I've been reading.

The first one is alright, it was rushed to get released before the Force Awakens and it sort've shows. The second one is much better, so if you find yourself hating the first one you may have better luck with the next installment.  

Life Debt may have serious implications for Episode 8 and 9, that is all I will say. 

Especially in regards to the potential role of Jakku in the greater scheme of the saga. What is with SW and backwater planets? 

:laugh: 

Edited by Forresto

Here's a Wall-mart add for Rogue Friday, man those Shore Troopers in action are AWESOME. ARGHHH I want to see the movie so bad...

Edited by RetroInferno

Me too! I always wanted some sort of Starwars side story with a bunch of badasses on a suicide mission, a lot like Mass Effect 2. 

Force Awakens was servicable and I liked it, it established a good base for the other movies but c'mon it's a soft reboot of a A New Hope. 

9 minutes ago, RetroInferno said:

Me too! I always wanted some sort of Starwars side story with a bunch of badasses on a suicide mission, a lot like Mass Effect 2. 

Force Awakens was servicable and I liked it, it established a good base for the other movies but c'mon it's a soft reboot of a A New Hope. 

I agree with your points. And a movie about the spies who stole the Death Star plans sounds pretty badass. In hindsight it's a shame they skipped that whole part in the original Star Wars movie!

On 10/1/2016 at 0:51 PM, BrickHat said:

I agree with your points. And a movie about the spies who stole the Death Star plans sounds pretty badass. In hindsight it's a shame they skipped that whole part in the original Star Wars movie!

I can't imagine Star Wars would've been nearly as successful if it had been "spies in space" instead of "classic hero's journey with swords and magic in space." Taken with a grain of salt, of course, since I wasn't alive in 1977. Even in the other OT and PT movies, the subplot of stealing the details to either Death Star doesn't really impact the main characters' story arcs that much, and I think it was better left as a background detail. Which is not to say I'm not glad they're making a movie about it now! It just wasn't appropriate before. 

On 10/4/2016 at 4:04 PM, RetroInferno said:

Have you guys ever stumbled on this gem of a video?

Oh my god my life has meaning again :O

What a classic video.

New Rogue One character and possibly location

Admiral Raddus, a blue Mon Calamari from the polar regions of Mon Calamari. Its cool to see some ethnic diversity amongst an awesome alien species. According to a tweet, or at least how I read it, SW keeper of the lore Pablo Hidalgo seems to have confirmed we will be going to Mon Calamari in Rogue One. Potentially very exciting.

Plus before he passed Tim Rose apparently did some filming so speculation is he either is voicing this new character or Admiral Ackbar is back for Rogue One.

There's a new Rogue One trailer supposedly coming next week. Personally im good, I don't need to see anymore clips or trailers.