Oky

Star Wars

4 hours ago, Error404 said:

Snoke is supposedly around 7 feet tall.

I recall reading that in the local paper, of all places.

Comparing the hype train of this film to the last film this one feels like it is lessened for some reason.

Is it because the leaks are fewer this time around? Either way despite being the 40th anniversary it all feels so quiet with Star Wars in some sense. 

We haven't reached over-saturation already have we? Maybe the fun will pick up as we get closer to debut? Oo 

21 hours ago, Japanbuilder said:

Comparing the hype train of this film to the last film this one feels like it is lessened for some reason.

Is it because the leaks are fewer this time around? Either way despite being the 40th anniversary it all feels so quiet with Star Wars in some sense. 

We haven't reached over-saturation already have we? Maybe the fun will pick up as we get closer to debut? Oo 

Are you referring to TFA or Rogue One? Because the hype for TFA was pretty big considering it was the return of the franchise and Rogue One got a lot of hype over the return of Vader to the big screen.  So I can see why the hype for TLJ wouldn't be as much but I think a lot of people are pretty psyched to see Luke in this movie.  Just my thoughts.

13 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

Are you referring to TFA or Rogue One? Because the hype for TFA was pretty big considering it was the return of the franchise and Rogue One got a lot of hype over the return of Vader to the big screen.  So I can see why the hype for TLJ wouldn't be as much but I think a lot of people are pretty psyched to see Luke in this movie.  Just my thoughts.

Yes, I meant TFA =)

I think there is hype judging by how every click bait fake news ad saying "The next Star Wars is being filmed near YOU and they are looking for extras!" is constantly being shared by my Facebook friends. :laugh: So if people are easily duped into believing that stuff and happily share it, then yeah they must be excited for Star Wars! 

@Oky You'd swear that with the millions of cash they are pumping into this the design team could pull something innovative design wise. At least now they are slightly altering things whereas TFA  SWITCHED the color of the main line TIE and called it a day. 

I hate the prequels but they succeeded in creating some very iconic designs, which were later used by the much better Clone Wars animated serie. 

Let's remove the T shaped command center from the star destroyer and call it a First Order star destroyer; for the AT-AT make it twice the size, put some more guns on it, it's gonna be cool! Let's not make anything new that may shock the audience or be slightly daring! At this point have Snoke summon the six bounty hunters; Bombur Fett, Ig-89, 5-LOM, Suckuss, Lizard Man and fan favourite Dongar. 

@Ashnflash Kylo Ren ship is the exact mix of a TIE phantom cockpit with the wings of the main line TIE advanced from the TIE fighter game. 

I feel like were are treated like some kind of nostalgic dumbasses that scream in the theatre everythime they recognize something from the first trilogy. 

Of course I'm gonna go see the new movie, I just don't want to sit there like an idiot replaying ESB in my head for the duration of the movie because of TFA, and getting treated like some kind of idiot by the producers. I feel for the guy responsible of this movie, JJ abrahams had no freacking plan of continuation for the events or the characters and the script of the movie is A new hope with switched out names. How do you proceed then to not make anything that is empire strikes back is extremly hard. 

2 hours ago, npgcole said:

Lord and Miller left the Han Solo film.

This can't be good. It's right in the middle of filming... :look:

http://www.starwars.com/news/a-message-from-lucasfilm-regarding-the-untitled-han-solo-film

http://screenrant.com/lord-miller-flash-movie-dceu-han-solo/

This article says a report claims the two met with WB while they were on a production hiatus from the Solo film, discussing the possibility of directing the DCEU Flash film after originally penning a script for it awhile back.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-why-han-solo-movie-directors-were-fired-1015474

Yeah, supposedly they were fired for making Han Solo too funny. What were they expecting when they hired two of the biggest comedy writers out there right now? :wacko:

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand it was almost guaranteed that with Lord & Miller directing the movie was at least going to be entertaining and changing directors halfway through tends to not work out very well, but I can see how they might have gotten the character wrong and getting somebody who understands the character better is probably a good idea. It seems like they are currently considering Ron Howard and Joe Johnston. Not sure if either of them would be a good choice or not.

Either way, I have very little interest in this movie and now that it doesn't even have the Lego Movie connection anymore I have even less interest.

Well crap... This was basically guaranteed to be different from the rehash loaded ST but no, too different apparently. 

Well did anyone else see Yoda on Steven Colbert's show. My first thought was isn't he technical dead. Then my second thought is I would like that "Yoda puppet". 

We can only guess what this means. I'll guess though.

They've specifically said that they had an issue with the feel and tone of the movie. I actually think Star Wars should reach out and get different feels and tones. Star Wars tonally is EXTREMELY limited. The scope of it is TINY thematically and feeling wise. Why NOT experiment with the tone and feel in the spin-offs?

I think the spin-offs are perfect for good Star Wars movies which don't have to have the same tone. We could have more light-hearted, funny ones (without going TOO far), some that are more like Breaking Bad tonally, blablabla whatever...

Plus, honestly the tone and Star Wars feel doesn't make a GOOD movie. I know Rogue One tends to be liked but come on, it wasn't a good movie haha. It FELT like Star Wars sometimes but that didn't help it's characters having any development or any CHARCTER. It got along SOLEY on it's Star Wars feel which made for a meh movie. I'd say Rogue One was basically Micheal Bay's Star Wars Transformers. A lot of nothing with legit cool Star Wars on top, which works for a lot of people I guess (I blame those people for us having so many of these Transformers movies which are factually terrible).

I'd rather have experiments and HIGH QUALITY stuff. But they're owned by Disney now. Just like Marvel they'll never take an actual risk ever again.

The last talk Kennedy and Miller/Lord had (and the reason they got fired)

KK: "The lead in the Han Solo movie is a strong female right?"
Lord/Miller: "No, why?"
KK: "You're fired!"

4 hours ago, Jedi-Bendu said:

The last talk Kennedy and Miller/Lord had (and the reason they got fired)

KK: "The lead in the Han Solo movie is a strong female right?"
Lord/Miller: "No, why?"
KK: "You're fired!"

:roflmao: 

I'm waiting for TLJ to make a judgement, but I'm starting to think Kathleen Kennedy is the problem at Lucasfilm. TFA was formulaic star wars: No intervention. R1 tries to be a war movie: KK brings in someone else to oversee reshoots. Han Solo possible tonal difference: Fired by KK. Hmm.

People are completely overreacting to this calling for Kathleen Kennedy to be fired and such. I've heard the Han Solo movie was practically a slapstick comedy under the previous two directors. It could be totally out of line with the story group's vision for the franchise and the directors simply didnt want to change their vision.

Simple fact is this, we don't know the full story. Lets just wait for details to become apparent. 

It is confirmed, that Ron Howard will continue the movie

http://www.starwars.com/news/ron-howard-to-assume-directorial-duties-on-the-untitled-han-solo-film

He also tweeted, that he will respect the work that has been done until now, lets just hope we will get a good blockbuster, because that is everything that I expect of this film to be and to be honest, thats all I want it to be.

It's just impossible to say anything definitively.

They were basically fired for not sticking to the script enough, improving things and making it more comedic, which I don't know how anyone would expect anything else from these two. And it might have worked. Or maybe it wouldn't have.

Some people are saying this is good and Han Solo should never be comedic. Some people are saying it's bad because they were skilled people and made good movies and maybe a comedic movie (which I doubt was comparable to Ace Ventura and I know how people EXAGGERATE). But we'll never know.

I for one don't trust the judgement of Disney IN ANY REGARD. I kind of trust Kasdan though... sooo maybe it was going too far. But I don't know. We won't know. Everything is guesswork.

Maybe Kasdan was being a classic overprotective artist and was being too protective of his vision and maybe the movie would have been amazing, possibly more comedic but still an amazing Star Wars. Maybe it would have sucked and been weird and Ace Venturay. I for one think the movies NEED to explore new tones especially if we're going to get a STAR WARS MOVIE EVERY YEAR FOR THE NEXT 100 YEARS! But at the same time Kasdan does good stuff, but at the same time I absolutely love some of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller's stuff too!

The one thing I'm sure of is that they SHOULD have expected this from Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Their personalities are known in the industry and they have a certain style they don't really deviate from. Lucas Arts should have known better.

@ToaDraco I read your comments about ship design in the Lego Star Wars 2017 Rumors thread, and the apparent lack of innovation between ROTJ and TFA, compared to the massive technology shift between ROTS and ANH. I decided to pen my thoughts to that here instead of derail the other thread.

I think Star Wars technology logically has followed and mirrored real history. In WWII aviation went from prop propellors to jet airplanes and V1 rockets. In comparison, modern era changes have been less dramatic. We are still flying F-16's almost 40 years after that airframe was introduced, while it's replacement the F-35 is rolling out slowly yet to fully replace the F-16. 

How does this apply to Star Wars? From Attack of the Clones to Return of the Jedi; the Galaxy is in a constant state of war. A growing Empire had to replenish it's fighting force, and constantly sought out new designs. Rebels had to scour for odd ball fighters to use, and got a wide variety of strange fighters for their forces. Conflict drove innovation.

In comparison in the new Canon, the 30+ years between ROTJ to TFA is rather peaceful. The T-70 X-Wing was introduced at the end of the Galactic Civil War, with it's successor vehicles relying on the same airframe (I think a T-80 is shown in the Poor Dameron comic and it looks identical to the T-70). Meanwhile the First Order was building up their army, yet rather than invent new designs they updated the proven TIE airframe (much like how Russia still fly's Soyuz capsules, or how the F-15 was modified by the US to become F-15E ground attack units). Why waste resources on a new fighter airframe when resources are thin and being taken by the massive Starkiller project? 

I think then seeing classic Star Wars ships in the Sequel Trilogy makes sense considering the inter-war peace during that era. With the galaxy in chaos again though I hope by episode IX or the following Trilogy (Sequel of Sequel Trilogy?) we get to see new designs.

I agree with your post xboxtravis7992. Design and shape wise, jet airplanes haven't changed much in 50 years as far as I can see. New technology, yes, but the shape and design is still pretty much the same.

Star Wars is fictional, but logically if you consider development in the real world, it's not really that big of a deal as to why space ships haven't changed that much in 30 years.

Not to say the argument against lack of innovation aren't reasonable, it alway makes me laugh to hear them as a fan since the golden age of the EU. 

In the EU we had Tie Fighers and X-Wings and all the classics for a good thirty so years in universe after Return of the Jedi. Yes we got E-Wings and the billions of silly Tie Variants but the staple poster child vessels of the OT were still the classics. At least with the ST the "Empire" is the First Order and look significantly updated.

I will complain though about the lack of more capital ships and new fighter designs. The New Republic should have new fighter types on top of updates of the old one.

Edited by Forresto

I see your point.

Regarding the "old" ships like X-wings and TIE fighters I guess one could say it fits with the (old?) saying "why change a winning formula".

X-wings, TIE fighters, Star Destroyers, they have all been shown to be good on their own (objective as I can only be from watching the movies).
Although experimenting with new designs and technology is a good thing, it's not a problem keeping the old designs in updated forms if they still prove to be good.

No rant, just my general thoughts.

It does make me wish they brought back the E-Wing concept to sprinkle some variety into the ST fighters. Just like the F-22's relatively small production run which failed to fully replace the F-15/F-16 models, I can see the E-Wing doing the same. 

However with that said, the plethora of X-Wing's and Tie's still makes a ton of sense for the ST.