Sign in to follow this  
Tinn-man

Some very happy pirates...

indexed.gif Vig. 31a

Here is my entry for the medium PTV contest:

dsc02369.jpg

These pirates are very happy, because they are able to get away with a ton of loot and no one is even trying to stop them. Of course, there is only so much that they can carry, so they were unable to steal everything in the shop.

dsc02373.jpg

dsc02371.jpg

I wanted to keep an open air feeling about the shop, so I left the roof off. Because it is a shop, it needs tons of supplies and food!!! There are apples, bananas, cherries, and even a pizza :pir-tongue:

I also added a back wall, filled with guns and a couple of treasure maps. This was inspired by the shops in the Legend of Zelda video games.

dsc02377.jpg

Here is a view of the shop by itself, allowing you to see it in greater detail.

dsc02378.jpg

Finally, the minifigures: two happy pirates with the loot and one scared shop keeper.

For more pictures, see: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=349845

Feedback is appreciated! :pir-classic:

I would give this entry an 8/10. Even though the face of the "yellow" pirate is happy, it is also standard. I would replace it with a more happy non-standard face. Also, I sense a lack of blood, gore, and overall piratey badness. Stealing a treasure isn't that mean, so i would reconsider your plot. Anyway, an overall good entry. good luck!

pat

My opinion:

Looks good Tinn-Man, just a few little improvements and you are there. I admire the market stand.

Possible improvements:

1) I think it would look a bit better if the saleslady would lean a bit back, that might add to her scared expression.

2) The standard face of the second pirate is too standard, and I would give the first one hair or a bandana.

3) The pizza isn't at place in that time :pir-tongue: , and I would replace the second pirates' revolver with a pistol.

4) As xpatriot720x stated, your entry might benefit from some real cruelty, PTV isn't about happy pirates... :pir-classic:

Non-brick related advise:

1) I think the quality of you pics could be a little bit better, maybe you resized it too much? And you are allowed to post them at 800x600.

Edited by zorro3999

I really like this, Tinn-man!

What I like:

The shop is very good, and I like the items hanging on the wall. The lamps and flags are nice additions, and the stone path is done beautifully, bravo.

What could be improved:

This doesn't really show cruelty, though. I would either add some or change your concept entirely. It's up to you to figure out what to do. :pir-wink: I would also advise you to change up the faces a bit; perhaps give the pirate with the bandanna a better face that's not so generic, and give the black pirate a hat or headgear of some sort. Also, you could change the revolvers (which weren't around at the time of pirates) to pirate pistols.

Please take these things into mind, and good luck! :pir-classic:

Edited by JimButcher

I really do like your entry Tinn-Man!

The cobblestoned path is beautiful and so is the market stand with all of the fruits.

A few things I would improve:

1) The pizza really doesn't fit in too well, I would recommend removing it.

2) It's not very cruel. One thing that would greatly enhance the cruelty would be to have a pirate holding a gun up to the shopkepper's head, and a dead body laying in the street.

3) Your pictures are quite grainy. It's probably because you resized them too much. They can be up to 800x600.

4) The faces could look a bit meaner.

Great work on your entry! I think you have a very good chance.

that's a nice entry, even if it's not very cruel ^^

I'll just say like erdbeereis1 about, just remove the pizza ^^ apart from this, the shop is really nice! ( and it DO looks like the Zelda shop !)

anyway, that's a really nice entry and I wish you good luck for the contest! ^^

Basically what the others said about it not being cruel enough but the cobbles worked quite well but would look better on a higher angle to make them look less like studs to add effect.

Well, the reason that it is not very cruel is that I actually do not own any pirates sets :pir-cry_sad: . That's why i'm entering the contest, so that I can start my collection with some old pirates sets and some new ones that will come out later this year. As for the pizza, it was supposed to be sort of a joke, but i guess I'll take it out. My pictures are blurry just because that is the best camera I have, and it does that with natural lighting, so I'll see what I can do there. So for the minifigures, I really don't have any more piratey torsos or more expressive heads, and the only guns that I have are revolvers and SW blasters. Thanks for all your feedback and I'll see what improvements I can make.

The market was great, I liked it immediately. Having the hole in the roof meant the lighting came through nice in the photo's. But you do need a better camera. The whole premise of a happy pirate is wrong. Murdering brutal pirate yes, happy no.

Edited by pe668

Well, the reason that it is not very cruel is that I actually do not own any pirates sets :pir-cry_sad: . That's why i'm entering the contest, so that I can start my collection with some old pirates sets and some new ones that will come out later this year. As for the pizza, it was supposed to be sort of a joke, but i guess I'll take it out. My pictures are blurry just because that is the best camera I have, and it does that with natural lighting, so I'll see what I can do there. So for the minifigures, I really don't have any more piratey torsos or more expressive heads, and the only guns that I have are revolvers and SW blasters. Thanks for all your feedback and I'll see what improvements I can make.

You don't really need a lot of pirates sets to have cruelty.

For example, if you have some sort of pistol or cutlass, that could be held up to the shopkeeper's head.

And in the street, you could have a body with some trans-red plates around it for blood.

But even without a lot of cruelty, your entry is still magnificent! :pir-classic:

Opinion

I like the whole market idea and pirates stealing from a helpless woman. Your MOC really does look like a market with the food in the crates and the guns and maps hanging on the wall in the back. The roofless market looks like something you would see in person.

Possible Improvements

1) Change the expression on the pirates faces because they are too standard.

2) Instead of having different color stones for the ground, just replace them with tiles.

3) I don't think the pizza fits in with a market.

4) As zorro3999 and xpatriot720x said, your entry might benefit from some real cruelty, PTV isn't about happy pirates. It is about pirates killing and fighting.

Non-Brick Related

1) Your pictures are a little blurry. I would retake all of them.

Overall- I like the idea of pirates robbing a market, but you need to have some fighting or something else in there. Some things to work on, but if you fix up your MOC, it will look great. I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

My PTV Entry- Medium

My small PTV contest entry is coming soon!

Well matey, this contest is about the pirates cruelty, no their sweetness,spiceness and everything niceness. Stealing a treasure aint that cruel, ransack her shop! Break the walls and that ought to do you some good!

Improvements

1) You can make it a look like a robbery, pirates love to steal from anyone! Girls,boys,babies,women,man and monkeys!

2)If you are keeping it that way than lose the pizza, I dont think pirates ate pizza during those times mate.

3)Take better shots laddy, no offense but I can see the small squares/megapixles in your pictures.

4)The heads faces are too standard, get some with angry faces! Especially the lady and like what Zorro said. Lean her back a bit or get her the bad and horrifying face. A scare ought to do her some good!

5) The name was attractive laddy but it is not fit for your moc, it needs something better like the robbery! Something that describes it eh?

Thats all I have for you laddy! Good luck for your entry! :pir-skull:

Off course they are happy. Who wouldn't be with a loot like that.

The shop looks nice with all kinds of different stuff for sale. The lady in the shop lucks scared. Thats very suitable for the sight before her eyes.

The lanterns looks good.

Possible improvements

There's not much death about it. There's pillaging but I'd like a trail of blood after the pirates. Maybe an arm in the chest or something.

The western guns aren't good in pirateMOCs. Replaced them with the real pirateguns if you have some.

Give the black pirate a headgear. He deserves it.

I think it would look good if you added a pirate more carrying something. Maybe just weapons. but another pirate would make the other two looks less "alone".

Your pictures are very blurry. Can you do something about it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now go get this MOC from average to awesome.

Good luck with the contest.