Preuss, your army is impressive, I loved your custom elves. What was your main source, bricklink, ebay?

Angeli, how many soldiers do you have? It's awesome!!

Hello!

I really liked the Dragon Kingdom minifigs, so i decided to start recruiting an army. Not there yet.

Soon to be updated!

Edited by Lazer

m-10.jpg

m-08.jpg

I don't get it. Why dress up all your mini-figures and slap a sword in hand and armour onto them? I wouldn't classify this as an 'army'. More as an attempt to outshine individuals.

I don't get it.

I don't either, to be honest. I don't find it impressive, or compelling. I just looks like somebody spent a LOT of money in order to create as many duplicates of the same thing as possible....which just isn't interesting to me. (I understand others may feel differently)

Only "the same thing" about them is their armour, and what is wrong with that being 'standard issue'? Also, if minifigs with a weapon and armour isn't an army then what is?

I don't get it. Why dress up all your mini-figures and slap a sword in hand and armour onto them? I wouldn't classify this as an 'army'. More as an attempt to outshine individuals.

I don't either, to be honest. I don't find it impressive, or compelling. I just looks like somebody spent a LOT of money in order to create as many duplicates of the same thing as possible....which just isn't interesting to me. (I understand others may feel differently)

Only "the same thing" about them is their armour, and what is wrong with that being 'standard issue'? Also, if minifigs with a weapon and armour isn't an army then what is?

I agree with Artanis. Yes, there is a wild assortment of colors under the armor, but it's still an army with standard issue equipment. This is no different than someone buying 200 of one fig and posting it as an army. It's great that everyone has opinions about what they like and don't like, but this is the "Post Your Own Army" thread not the "Criticize Someone Else's Army" thread.

Just look at some of the old paintings with knights on it. Most of them wear strange and different colours under their armor, yet that is an army and this isn't?

As I said earlier, I really like it!

Hi everyone! I haven't upload yet my 'armies' because my good camera died. I have a small collection, and my armies are seven or eight groups with 4-9 guys each, also i always make an effort to evoid repeated faces. That's the type of army i like. However, i agree with Rogue Armor, this is the "Post Your Own Army" thread and is great to watch everyone's armies (big or small ones, weirds, regulars,colorfull or not)!

I get that the guys have some different colors under the body armor and helm...but that doesn't make it any more interesting to me. It still looks quite boring to have a massive set of figures that are all seemingly the same.

The emotion that it's supposed to invoke is: "Wow! Look at how many there are!!!"....which frankly doesn't do anything for me. If there was more variety in it...some creative component...it would be much more visually compelling. But as is, (as Wodanis pointed out) it kinda comes off as "My army is bigger than yours!".....to which I would reply "yeah, but beyond the sheer volume of it, there's very little else that's compelling." Anybody can, given a sizable enough bankroll, come up with hundreds of mini figures, then slap the exact same weapon, armor, and helmet on ALL of them.

I find value in both kinds of armies. i personally lean toward smaller and more thoughtful, but the giant, less detailed formations are fun too.

I get that the guys have some different colors under the body armor and helm...but that doesn't make it any more interesting to me. It still looks quite boring to have a massive set of figures that are all seemingly the same.

The emotion that it's supposed to invoke is: "Wow! Look at how many there are!!!"....which frankly doesn't do anything for me. If there was more variety in it...some creative component...it would be much more visually compelling. But as is, (as Wodanis pointed out) it kinda comes off as "My army is bigger than yours!".....to which I would reply "yeah, but beyond the sheer volume of it, there's very little else that's compelling." Anybody can, given a sizable enough bankroll, come up with hundreds of mini figures, then slap the exact same weapon, armor, and helmet on ALL of them.

I agree, Part of the fun with this thread is the creativity when making an army.

I find value in both kinds of armies. i personally lean toward smaller and more thoughtful, but the giant, less detailed formations are fun too.

Personality is what makes one get excited about seeing their army. I've enjoyed others as they try to do something unique with it or add personality in addition to the shear size. I will have to post up new photos of my army as I have expanded on them. Mine won't be the largest out there but I am happy with it. (They just lack a castle to inhabit...)

Ah.... the age old dilemma... what is better? Many similar troops or few varied ones?

Lets look at an extreme example....

<--- 5,248 Clone troopers (and lets take note that with nearly 1million views of this vid alone AND 100K+ subscribers... he probably makes more money than any of us just from his you tube videos of... what shall we call it... an army? ...nope - this... to me is a collection... something that gathers dust and makes you feel "cool"... but you can't "really" play with 5248 troopers at once... EVEN if you were fighting on a large scale and moving 32x32 baseplates around the house! :D

As for me I like it when it looks like some thought of coherence and consistency has gone into the design of a group of troops... big or small (although I wouldn't personally describe 5 troops as an army... maybe a squad or a unit perhaps?) and it's not just big collections of the same figure that can be accused of this... I also see it plenty with small groups of minifigures too...

However, soldiers don't HAVE to match to be part of the same group do they? Well read this article ----> http://exploringbelievability.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/psychology-of-uniforms.html <---- a brilliant place to start any conversation about this type of thing.

For me consistency and coherence runs across a whole faction theme... so I look to have 3 main rules for each of my armies... so for my wood elves I decided this: No heavy plate armour... (they live in the wood so are going to need to be more mobile) They are a very shooty army... so 50% has to be ranged with bow and arrows (rather than crossbows) so I have 80 troops with bows on foot, 20 scouts (bows and hand weapon) plus half my mounted troops are ranged and armed with bows only (as opposed to the other half that are armed with spears)... and finally both male and females of significant numbers in the troops. In my mythos, the female elves fight too... the majority might not necessarily be melee troops... it is still sensible to protect those that have to grow the next generation perhaps slightly behind the front line... but they can still fight to help protect their mates and their children... so why not have she-elves fight too? Some of the most important general/hero/leader troops are also female.

So these 3 rules: no heavy armour / 50% ranged / females fight too

will be completely different for every other faction I create... and this allows both the basic army differentiation (ie: lots of minifigs/less minfigs... all the same armour and weapons/all different) to matter less because there is still a (in this case) wood elf "flavour" running through the whole collection :D

Ah.... the age old dilemma... what is better? Many similar troops or few varied ones?

IMHO, neither is better: they're both cool. As regular readers of this thread or visitors to my Brickshelf page (see link in sig) might have surmised, my collection leans much more to variety than quantity. My only duplicates are 40 or so uruk-hais; the other 600+ minifigs in my display collection are all different.

That's not to say that I don't value big collections. The one on Youtube showing 5000+ Clone Troopers is undoubtedly impressive. To be honest, if I had the time, space and money, I would consider building a huge Castle army. I would still have my smaller, varied collection; I would just have a vast army to go with it.

I can see why someone may not care for one type of army or the other, but I don't see the point of criticising other people's collections. If you don't like what someone else has done, just move to the next collection or post your own.

^ yep, if someone's artwork is not your style just pass over it and comment on the ones that you do like.

<--- 5,248 Clone troopers (and lets take note that with nearly 1million views of this vid alone AND 100K+ subscribers...

Just for clarification first two rows (so 1/4 of that collection) were funded by fans and after the video was done minifigs were sent to them. Even the remaining part is still huge anyway. :)

If you don't like what someone else has done, just move to the next collection

^ yep, if someone's artwork is not your style just pass over it and comment on the ones that you do like.

Or we could, ya know....discuss what it is we do or don't like about something. This is a forum after all, which the entire purpose is to share and discuss stuff related to topics. Forums aren't just for positive reactions.

Or we could, ya know....discuss what it is we do or don't like about something. This is a forum after all, which the entire purpose is to share and discuss stuff related to topics. Forums aren't just for positive reactions.

Constructive Criticism is one thing. "Your army is all the same type so it sucks" or other broad negative comments don't serve much purpose other than to bring people "down a peg". This is inherently a showoff thread, and people shouldn't be afraid to show off their armies if they are not fully completed, or conform to other people's standards of what they think an army should look like. If your only comment is going to be " I don't like you army because of X", why comment at all?

Constructive Criticism is one thing....people shouldn't be afraid to show off their armies

And people should not be afraid to share their opinions. Regarding it being constructive or not - I'd argue that my comments were. I didn't simply say "it sucks" without any further context. On the contrary...I offered quite a bit of context on what/why I didn't like it.

You ask why I'd share any opinion at all if its negative. The answer: because this is a public forum for discussion. If you post something on a public forum, you should be willing to accept all types of criticism, not just praise. Someone else said an opinion I agreed with, so I offered further context on why i agreed with it.

Anyhow......

Hello!

I really liked the Dragon Kingdom minifigs, so i decided to start recruiting an army. Not there yet.

Nice army Lazer, this is one of my favourite Lego factions too. I'll have to do a photo-shoot and post my updated dark green army - it has grown considerably since I last posted it here (especially with the beautiful CMF Knight torso from the current series)!

Also great edit on your armies Noktu, the different factions are really well presented and as others have commented, the carpet makes an interesting prop to march through!

MÃ¥dplatzians got a slight update!

That's a very nice siege tower! I also like your use of both crownies and the latest lion knights, they work very well together with their similar colour scheme. :thumbup:

The variation of your Nokheimer Raiders is great, but what I like most about them is their dynamic poses. They really look so much more realistic when there are small variations in how they are holding their weapons, which foot they are lifting, which way they look etc.

When I army build it's usually just a maximum of 20 minifigs, but that makes it easier to experiment with more rare shields and torsos. This is my small company that uses the bear shield from the Frightening Knight from the Collectible Minifigs sereis 15. I made a MOC with them for a mini-challenge in Guilds of Historica but it's essentially just an army build with some landscaping so I figured I could post it here as well.

25895792110_24d4924051_z.jpg

Just now I realized that I have some of the old KK2 bear shields, 3846pb16, that I could've used to make the company bigger. Maybe I'll use them in a later build.

That's a very nice siege tower! I also like your use of both crownies and the latest lion knights, they work very well together with their similar colour scheme. :thumbup:

The variation of your Nokheimer Raiders is great, but what I like most about them is their dynamic poses. They really look so much more realistic when there are small variations in how they are holding their weapons, which foot they are lifting, which way they look etc.

When I army build it's usually just a maximum of 20 minifigs, but that makes it easier to experiment with more rare shields and torsos. This is my small company that uses the bear shield from the Frightening Knight from the Collectible Minifigs sereis 15. I made a MOC with them for a mini-challenge in Guilds of Historica but it's essentially just an army build with some landscaping so I figured I could post it here as well.

Cheers Etzel!

I'm blown away with your smart use of parts to fit such a formidable sized squadron with that unique style. Especially the knights look stunning. The bald dukish lad seems to be ready to tax some peasants!