• Above Average
    • Superb

indexed.gif

Title of Set: 6057 Sea Serpent

Theme: Castle/Black Knights

Year Released: 1992

Pieces Count: 117

Minifigures: 5

Original Price: $16.50 (USD), Unknown (EUR), Unknown (GBP)

Current Prices: BrickLink Price Guide

Further Information: Brickset, Lugnet, Peeron, Photobucket Album

The Black Knights are part of some of the best Classic Castle sets and the Sea Serpent is no exception. Read on to find out why.

Instruction Pamphlet:

instru1.jpg

instru2.jpg

The usual foldout instruction pamphlet is included with this set. The steps are easy to follow and the pictures display everything in great detail. A total of 15 steps are present.

Parts:

parts.jpg

While at only 117 pieces, the Sea Serpent comes with five armed minifigs and a beautiful cloth sail. Quite a few large pieces are included.

Minifigs:

figs.jpg

Three Black Knights and two Black Falcons are included. Armed with crossbows, long bows, shields, varying helmets, and ABS plastic swords, the minifigs are definitely a focal point to this set.

Accessories:

access.jpg

This set has plenty of weapons and armor to go around for suiting up the many included minifigs. A thing to note is the oars. In previous Castle ships LEGO used regular halberds and spears in their place, but now with the Pirate theme out, LEGO can include actual brown oars. Also, three red plumes come included.

Unique Pieces:

sailclose.jpg

A printed flag displaying the Black Knights’ emblem and a cloth sail, again with the Black Knights’ emblem, make up the unique parts in this set. Not many, but they are both great to have.

Partially Built:

Top/Side:

partial.jpg

Bottom:

bottom.jpg

Due to the large pieces, the build is quick and the base of the ship is just about done in only a few steps. The black circles on the bottom on the ship create a floating effect, as well as adding to the structural durability.

Extra Tidbit:

compartment.jpg

A 2x2 barrel can fit snuggly into an unused compartment on the boat. Sadly, it is one stud too short to accommodate a chest.

Set without minifigs:

Overview:

overview.jpg

Front:

Without Sail:

front.jpg

With Sail:

frontsail.jpg

Side:

Without Sail:

side.jpg

With Sail:

sidesail.jpg

Back:

Without Sail:

back.jpg

With Sail:

backsail.jpg

For the few amount of pieces that create this boat, it is actually very roomy. All five fully armed minifigs can safely fit onto the boat, along with a few extra accessories. Small clips hold the oars in place. The sail is easy to attach and the only troublesome issue may be tying two knots with the included black string.

Completed set with minifigs:

minifigcomplete.jpg

As mentioned in the previous section, all five minifigs fit onto the boat.

The Voyage:

scene.jpg

Reviewer's Score:

Playability: 9.9/10 – A boat is always fun to play with, whether in actual water or just on plain blue construction paper. Since there are two factions, one can have the Black Falcons challenge the Black Knights. Plenty of accessories also help vary each time one plays with it. One can even just spend time by dressing up the minifigs in different weapons and armor.

Design: 9.8/10 – The colors look very good and stay true to the Black Knights. The flag is perfect for this set. While large pieces are used, they create a realistic look of a boat and provide the space required for the minifigs. Only thing is, not much more other than the minifigs can fit directly onto the boat, which is to be expected for a small set.

Price: 9.3/10 – Five fully armed minifigs, a cloth sail, a printed flag, and a ton of accessories for only $16.50. A good deal, indeed!

Total: 29/30 – Absolute must buy for any ship lover and/or Castle fan. The final product is a great looking ship, five very useful and desired minifigs, more than enough accessories… what more can one ask for?

*Instruction pictures are from Peeron.

*Printed Black Knights’ flag is on upside-down in my pictures, except in the scenery shot, as I did not notice until after uploading all the pictures.

*Thanks goes to Mister Phes for the scenery backdrop and SlyOwl for the guide.

Thanks for the review.

I've added it to the index.

I really want this to be a Dragon Knights set, but we've already talked about that :wink:

A great set in my opinion.

that's a really nice review you did, and that's an awesome set I think ! I really love it, I wanted it when I was a boy ^^ But I never had it .. don't know why.

Very good review! :thumbup: I did not have a chance to comment in the academy earlier. :blush:

Well, I love this set very much as this is one of my earliest childhood set and is my favourite castle ship of all times. The sails from its range of minifigs and weapons included are just so amazing for an incredible affordable price. I must admit I love this set so much. I wish TLG could ever create such a set again, and sweep our foot away. Furthermore, this set comes with 2 additional Black Falcon soldiers and 3 Black Knights soldiers.

Thanks for doing this classic castle reviews. :wub:

A great review of a set I love so much. This wasn’t a set I got as a child but as I always love boats it was an early post darkage by, so far I’ve got 5 and parts for a few more about the place. I skeletonised one all back with while bones a while alone it is a great complement to the new large ships in any fleet.

What I particularly like about this ship is its hull. With this ship LEGO proved that it could also produce a ship without those big hull pieces. The only thing that annoys me is that the oars tend to fall off easily when you touch them accidentally. But that's not a big deal. It's still a superb set.

Great review, thanks.

This set is great indeed (although the the greatest ship used in Castle is still 7416 in my opinion).

Love the way you showed every corner of the ship with your pictures.

I think you mixed the two heads with moustache though.

If you can buy it somewhere for €16,50 you should defenitly do it, Here in the netherland people are willing to pay €20 €25 Euro for a complete set.

Another of the sets I recently picked up. Great review, you truly show many of the positive aspects of this set. The fig count is extraordinary. I love the sweet sail and the amount of shields you receive. Overall, another of those classics you shouldn't hesitate to snag if the opportunity arises.

I just got this set in the mail today, and I have to say it is really awesome. For the price you can still get it for, it is one I recommend for any castle or even ship fan 100%! It is awesome and has so many options with all of the weapons and figures. For what you get even today, it is incredible. I recommend this to anyone! :classic:

Nice set / review default_classic.gif

I had the chance to be offered it years ago as a child default_laugh2.gif

I don't have this set but just went to brick link and bought one can't wait to get it.

Do you realize this is a 3 year old thread???

It was a good review, but without adding anything to the thread, there is no real reason to bump it.

Agreed Big Cam, perhaps UCSProductions1 will favour us with some reviews of this and the 10176 Castle, that way making newer more relevant threads for members to comment in?

OFF TOPIC: Surely your response is just as bad, doing nothing other than to criticise another member? Neither you I Scream Clone or the previous post have added anything to the topic either. Incidentally, the member criticised wasn't bumping a 3 year old thread but a thread less than 1 year old. hardly current I grant, but if this is the review thread for that piece, where else is he going to be able to comment on it? This is the same reason I have no reason I have no problems in posting today... or would you rather I start a new topic overlapping this one already here?

ON TOPIC: This was my first Lego set, which I was given when on holiday in a place called Dartmouth, a lovely historic sea-side town. I can't remember how old I was, but I was 5 at oldest. I remember making this at the table before then going on our friends boat and sailing to a little alcove just near Dartmouth Castle. This will always be my favourite set!

However, even taking Nostalgia away, this set was magnificent. IMO It was a good medium sized addition to the Black Knights Theme, with the Minifigs and accessories particularly generous. The set overlaps fantastically between the Castle and Pirate themes and appeals to both genres as a standalone piece or as part of a larger collection.

I had actually tried to build this from memory, using what pieces I could botch together. The result was suprisingly similar- I may post it should anyone like. I was minus a sail, but I have now acquired one from ebay, and, with these instructions, I look forward to restoring The Sea Serpent to her former glory!!! :dhappy:

Isn't there a giant index of set reviews with links to year-old topics like this one..? Why have that at all if necro-bumping isn't allowed?

A splendid set indeed, I sure wouldn't mind stumbling across it. And the design is timeless; replace the blue with dark green and BOOM you could easily use it for the Dragon Knights from Kingdoms.

They give you a lot of minifigures! It's good for a pirate theme OR a Castle theme, too. I like how they actually give you a well-designed sail instead of it just being a little rowboat.

Edited by Lightning Dragon

OFF TOPIC: Surely your response is just as bad, doing nothing other than to criticise another member? Neither you I Scream Clone or the previous post have added anything to the topic either. Incidentally, the member criticised wasn't bumping a 3 year old thread but a thread less than 1 year old. hardly current I grant, but if this is the review thread for that piece, where else is he going to be able to comment on it? This is the same reason I have no reason I have no problems in posting today... or would you rather I start a new topic overlapping this one already here?

Arguing with Moderators will only lead you into trouble. I suggest you stop.

It's not an arbitrary rule. If it didn't exist, ancient threads would be bumped all the time and EB would hardly be navigable. If you really have something to contribute to the thread, bumping an old thread can be acceptable. But it had better be something worthy of reviving the topic. The contribution UCSProductions1 made does not qualify. It could have easily been made in the "What did you buy today?" thread.

Algernon: An index makes old reviews accessible so that you can always read them if you are interested in a certain set. But again, posting in an old thread should only be done if it will start a meaningful conversation.

Such a great set, especially for parts. So many great parts in a small set... :classic:

I'm also fond of this classic set, it may be quite small but can still accommodate a surprising number of mini-figs. I missed this one back in the day but was able to purchased one off ebay second hand a year or so back, once I'd given it a thorough clean I was impressed with the finished model.

I always felt the naval element of medieval warfare is something Lego could have made more of in their castle sets. IIRC of the classic castle sets, there were only three ships and this was the largest. It was not until the fantasy era that we saw larger ships such as the skeleton ship and the excellent troll warship. I would dearly have liked to have seen a dragon knights warship in the Kingdoms theme.

I remember having this set as a child. Though in my memory it was HUMONGOUS, and could fit an entire army inside it! default_classic.gif As an adult... maybe it's not quite so big, but still a good size. I feel like I've seen this design (or similar) in several member creations in the forums here. It is a fairly basic ship design, and just swapping a couple of colors here and there can easily change up the "faction" of the vessel.

I always felt the naval element of medieval warfare is something Lego could have made more of in their castle sets. IIRC of the classic castle sets, there were only three ships and this was the largest. It was not until the fantasy era that we saw larger ships such as the skeleton ship and the excellent troll warship. I would dearly have liked to have seen a dragon knights warship in the Kingdoms theme.

I agree, I would like to see some middle-of-the-road options for castle-themed ships. I recently picked up a troll warship, and while it is very impressive, it's also enormous! Trying to build a fleet of those would require additional rooms in the house. With the Sea Serpent style, you could build three or four of them, pack in ten to twenty soldiers and build a nice fleet that takes up about the same size as one troll ship.

I vaguely recall another ship or two from the same theme as the Sea Serpent, but they were very small, one- or two-man boats, maybe even rowboats?

I agree, I would like to see some middle-of-the-road options for castle-themed ships. I recently picked up a troll warship, and while it is very impressive, it's also enormous! Trying to build a fleet of those would require additional rooms in the house. With the Sea Serpent style, you could build three or four of them, pack in ten to twenty soldiers and build a nice fleet that takes up about the same size as one troll ship.

I vaguely recall another ship or two from the same theme as the Sea Serpent, but they were very small, one- or two-man boats, maybe even rowboats?

In regards to other castle themed ships, you may referring to any of these:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6018-1

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6017-1

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6049-1

I take your point about the troll warship, I to purchased one recently and found it to be much larger than I expected. Cost is also an issue. I paid almost double the original RRP for a MISB copy and even second hand copies also cost an arm and a leg. I had great plans to build up a troll fleet but its not really feasible given the expense. Second hand Sea Serpents in contrast can be picked up relatively cheaply, so its much easier to build up a fleet.