Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Halloween Review #4: 6257 Castaway's Raft

On a scale of 1 to 5  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Send this set to Davy Jones' Locker!
    • 2 - Plundering Perilously
    • 3 - Ahoy... Just be Average
    • 4 - Arrr! Shiver Me Timbers
    • 5 - This Set Be Like Lost Treasure

In the twilight of a moonlit sky with only the flickering stars to guide them, three castaways make their way along a vast, never-ending sea. Atop a makeshift raft from the reckage of their pirate vessel, the scurvy crew fight for survival. Their food and water has been depleted; and if things could not be worse, a hungry shark has began to follow them. Will this be the end of the pirate crew, or will they survive long enough for the special moonlight transformation?

00title1.jpg

Halloween 2008 Review #4

Castaway's Raft

Set #: 6257

Theme: Pirates

Year Released: 1989

Piece Count: 50

Minifigs: 3

List Price: $8.50 (USD)

My 4th Halloween 2008 review is dedicated to Pirates in anticipation of the return of the Pirate theme. 6257 Castaway's Raft is one of just a few pirate sets that someone gave me as a gift in the late 80s. I wanted to add it to my Halloween collection as I haven't opened a pirate set in some time.

Beginning with the box with traditional Pirate theme boxart:

01box1.jpg

The back of the box provides a few additional scenes with alternate ideas:

02box2.jpg

The set includes three nicely detailed pirates. Whenever I made these; however, I always placed the red cap on the pirate with the red-striped shirt, and the same for the blue.

03figs.jpg

This little set includes two sabres, two muskets, and a rifle - a nice selection of arms:

04weap.jpg

The set also has a wonderfully printed pirate flag and treasure map:

05assess.jpg

I never really liked the raft to this set, although I can appreciate the design now. You'll notice that four white flags are used as sails. Unfortunately, most of the hooks/clips broke very easily after just building thes set a few times:

06raft1.jpg

The main raft has a long technic beam running through each side with two barrels and a few round 2x2s. This set was a great way to get 4 brown barrels with lids:

07raft2.jpg

Here's a close-up of the makeship mast with one remaining flag (almost ready to break):

08raft3.jpg

One old dark grey shark adds to the value of this set:

09shark.jpg

The complete set as our pirate castaways battle the grey shark:

10set.jpg

And lastly, the same pirate crew with some additional skeleton faces:

11skellies.jpg

Final Thoughts:

Castaway's Raft is really a nice addition to the Pirate theme. As mentioned above, I never really appreciated this little set at the time, but now I can see the value of what the set includes. With weapons, barrels, three figs, shark, and some additional pirate elements, the set is a great pirate "booster" pack, or can serve as a stand-alone set for some adventures not far from shore. I hope you enjoy this classic review and do try to stay away from shark infested waters.

I'm undecided whether to vote Average or Above Average for this set. $8.50 is a lot for fifty pieces and there aren't a whole lot of accessories, though the printed map and flag are nice additions.

For the review, it's fantastic. I am really enjoying these unique backdrops for each review. Plus, I feel your pain with the white flags. At least yours are still white.

For the review, it's fantastic. I am really enjoying these unique backdrops for each review. Plus, I feel your pain with the white flags. At least yours are still white.

Thanks DJ, esp. since you're the 1st to comment, which I appreciate. All my white pieces are good, just that these few flags broke (as well as some from my Caribbean Clipper).

Great review, I like these holloween reviews :thumbup:

It's sets like these which make me wish I was around for that era of Lego :cry_happy::cry_sad:

What review next? I've always wanted to see a review of the Vampire set :wink: and is there gonna be a big halloween review finally?

and is there gonna be a big halloween review finally?

Thanks for the feedback Hollis. That's a great idea I had not considered. :wink:

Great review, this is a good set considering its size. I'm not sure what this has got to do with Halloween.

I'm not sure what this has got to do with Halloween.

Halloween represents all things scary. I think pirates and sharks fit into this category. Pirate Halloween costumes are also very popular among kids.

A great little set.

I got me two of these by accident when I intended to collect Pirates and won quite a few auctions on eBay.

An accident that I am now happy about.

It's a great accesory set.

Thanks for the scary review :thumbup: