Sign in to follow this  
SirNadroj

Under The Union Jack

indexed.gif Vig. 27b

I thought I may as well make a small entry; in the middle of my large one, of course.

Fighting piracy under the union jack on the white sand beaches of the caribbean...

I haven't seen any "white sand" in LEGO, and white extra slopes lying around, I said "why not?", right? :pir-wink:

1-123.jpg

Overlap does not extend over 1 stud in any direction.

Thanks. :pir-blush:

Oh, and for your pleasure, a WIP-Teaser for my large entry. It'll be posted in its own thread once finished.

portwip3.jpg

Very good, SirNadroj.

What I like:

The white sand was a great idea, good job on that. I also like the tree very much. The barrel buried in the sand is cool, too.

What could be improved:

A pirate just killing someone isn't really original and "cruel", IMO. Some blood bleaching the sand would make it much better, I think. Also, the pirate is holding the sword a bit strangely, perhaps change that.

I wish you good luck, and I'll look forward to your large entry! :pir-sweet:

Wow, I like this! Where are those leaves from? I've not seen them before....Nice use of the Dinosaur tail for the tree, as well. I'm not sure on the use of white for the sand, though...call me old fashioned but to me, in LEGO world, sand is yellow and snow is white....Maybe tan would look better than white?

Can't wait to see the large entry, either...looks fantastic so far...

Very nice work as usual Sir Nadroj!

I really like the white sand idea, as it's very original. Your tree is also great especially the nice trunk.

One improvement you could possibly make would be:

I think it would look good to have a little bit of blood under the soldier for some extra gore, but it's really not too improtant.

Great entry!

Cool. I really like the use of the dinosaur tail as a tree trunk.

However you could improve he following:

1. I wouldn't mix SNOT with upright building in this particular MOC for the sand. It looks as though it is there just for the sake of incorporating SNOT into the model and doesn't really serve any purpose.

2. I think you should get rid of the roof tiles on the sand. They would be fine for a rocky beach, but when you say it represents a peach in the Caribbean, the sand on those beaches is a smooth as silk and so would never form in rocky clumps like that.

3. The pirate is stabbing the soldier in a very strange way. I think rather than have the hand protecting peice facing the camera, have the sword the other way.

Other than that, this is a fantastic MOC and you are certainly in the running for a prize. And I really look foward to seeing the finnished large MOC. It looks awesome so far. And I don't know if you can do this as the entries must be exclusive to Classic-Pirates.com until the competition is over (I think), but I think it would be pretty neat if in your large entry you had some sort of small island with this small entry in it.

that' s a nice entry ! I love it ! and it seems that your large entry will be... very large! there is more blue bricks in your teaser that I have in my entire collection^^

This certainly is a very nice creation, and I love the way you did the tree, but there are some improvements that can be made:

1. The white sand is a good idea, but I think it doesn't quite capture the effect as tan sand. However, since some of those slopes would have to be custom painted to come in tan, I suppose it'd be pointless to change it.

2. Unlike Zuloo, I don't notice any SNOT techniques, but the various chese slopes that stick up look out of place. Perhaps, if they were grey or bley, they could simulate rocks well. :classic:

3. The tree is incredible, but by the top, right under the canopy, part of the connecting piece is showing. I'm not sure how to describe it, but if you moved down or extended the leaves, it would look much nicer.

4. How about adding a little blood to the scene? I didn't realize that the soldier was getting killed until I put my glasses on and noticed the tiny cutlass impaling him. :tongue:

5. Using a technic axle as a flagpole is a good idea, but, being light grey, it blends too much with the sand. I think that using a brown one of these:

long_pole.png

or a longer black/brown pole like from this Bricklink page would be a better choice for the union jack.

Other than that, this is a wonderful MOC! :wub:

Edited by Adam

Thanks for the feedback. I'm strapped for time, so I will not be revising this. I'm happy with it anyway; but your feedback is always apprecaited. Thanks for the input. :thumbup:

What could be improved:

A pirate just killing someone isn't really original and "cruel", IMO. Some blood bleaching the sand would make it much better, I think. Also, the pirate is holding the sword a bit strangely, perhaps change that.

Not original, but certainly cruel. :pir-wink:

1. I wouldn't mix SNOT with upright building in this particular MOC for the sand. It looks as though it is there just for the sake of incorporating SNOT into the model and doesn't really serve any purpose.

2. I think you should get rid of the roof tiles on the sand. They would be fine for a rocky beach, but when you say it represents a peach in the Caribbean, the sand on those beaches is a smooth as silk and so would never form in rocky clumps like that.

3. The pirate is stabbing the soldier in a very strange way. I think rather than have the hand protecting peice facing the camera, have the sword the other way.

Other than that, this is a fantastic MOC and you are certainly in the running for a prize. And I really look foward to seeing the finnished large MOC. It looks awesome so far. And I don't know if you can do this as the entries must be exclusive to Classic-Pirates.com until the competition is over (I think), but I think it would be pretty neat if in your large entry you had some sort of small island with this small entry in it.

1. That's based on personal preference, of course. The SNOT is there for the sunken-in barrel. I don't over-complicate things for the sake of over-complicating. :pir-wink:

2. That would make sense...

3. Those minifigs were a pain to pose. :pir-grin: Hence the awkwardness. Oh well.

1. The white sand is a good idea, but I think it doesn't quite capture the effect as tan sand. However, since some of those slopes would have to be custom painted to come in tan, I suppose it'd be pointless to change it.

2. Unlike Zuloo, I don't notice any SNOT techniques, but the various chese slopes that stick up look out of place. Perhaps, if they were grey or bley, they could simulate rocks well. :classic:

3. The tree is incredible, but by the top, right under the canopy, part of the connecting piece is showing. I'm not sure how to describe it, but if you moved down or extended the leaves, it would look much nicer.

4. How about adding a little blood to the scene? I didn't realize that the soldier was getting killed until I put my glasses on and noticed the tiny cutlass impaling him. :tongue:

5. Using a technic axle as a flagpole is a good idea, but, being light grey, it blends too much with the sand.

1. I'd much rather have it original than regular old bland tan sand. :pir-wink:

2. The SNOT holds the barrel in the sand.

3. That was the best I could do. I fiddled with the tree for at least a hay-hour trying to get it right. That's the best I could do.

4. Blood. Bah, I don't really care for adding blood. :pir-tongue:

5. Technic axle? You're seeing things, me thinks. :pir-wink:

Ok, again, thanks for the feedback. Sorry if I sound defensive. :pir-tongue:

My opinion:

Your entry seems very finished and it is of the high quality we expect from an expert MOC builder like you, therefore a :thumbup: from me.

In relation to its size and your experience as a builder, there is not much I can add to the others advise (at least: some of the above is advise...).

Possible improvements:

1) Make the pirate look a bit more into the lens. You can do this by replacing the camera focussing point or by turning his head a bit more (please don't snap the poor minifigs neck :pir-grin: )

2) I would have used yellow for the sand, but that is sooo your decision...just like the decision about adding blood or not...

3) A red crab/scorpion to get more color in the lower regions of your MOC?

Overall: a great MOC, please build more like these. I await your large entry with patience. I just know we will get the quality everyone hopes for... :pir-wink:

Edited by zorro3999

Opinion

I really like how you thought of using white sand instead of yellow or tan. The way you made the slopes making it look even more like a beach was very creative. Also, the tree that you made is very good. Is that a brown dragon tail being used for a tree trunk? If so, that is really smart thinking. You also put a good amount of leafs on your tree which is good. You used good minifig faces for the expressions. I like how the pirate stabbed the Imperial guard in his stomach. I also like the flag that you used. Is the rubber band that is around the Imperial guard to hold the flag in place?

Possible Improvements

1) In your MOC, the Imperial guard is getting stabbed; I think you should put some blood under the sword.

2) Towards the top left of your flag, it is dirty or tearing. I would change that to another one if you have or find another flag to put in its place.

Non-Brick Related

1) I would just add some more pictures from a couple different angles.

Overall- You have done a very good job making your MOC. I can see that you put a lot of effort into it. Just some small minor improvements to do, but other than that, it is great. I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

Edited by LegoKing

Thanks for your input, LEGOKing and Zorro!

And, since I can't resist, another WIP for for me large entry. I know I should make it its own thread, but right now, I don't have much to post. Just teasers.

Neptune/Poseidon rock formation for the lagoon; keep in mind it's still a WIP. :pir-tongue:

poseidonspeakwip.jpg

Wow! Is the person standing next to it for comparison or...?

Anyway, I like the white sand. As a frequent visitor to the British Virgin Island, I cant see why others havent made white sand. Nice Job

Sir Nadroj, how can you build such an amazing rock ? that's impossible ! destroy it ! now ! or I'll hate you till I die ! :pir-cry_sad: your entry is going to be awesome.. I'm so jaleous of your talent and your bricks!

I like your entry very much. The only improvement I see that you can make is adding a little bit of blood on the sword. :pir-devil: Other than that, its a great entry for the contest! :pir-classic:

Perhaps, if they were grey or bley, they could simulate rocks well. :classic:

This is supposed to represent the white beaches of the Caribbean, so it wouldn't have many rocks at all.

Edited by Captain Zuloo

I know this topic is a tad dead but I would just like to ask where you obtained your vintage flag from? :pir-classic:

Not saw this earlier.

The tree is nicely done. It's got style. :thumbup: