Sign in to follow this  
CPT. Jr

Mademoiselle Guillotine

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 25c

I took alot of pcs so here's a link

Guillotine pics

The new french government has exicuted this pirate for accepting brittish bribes to try and smuggle aristo's out of france

I can't believe no one used a guillotine yet.

100_4800.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Bobthesh...ll/100_4800.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Bobthesh...ll/100_4793.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Bobthesh...ll/100_4795.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Bobthesh...ll/100_4798.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Bobthesh...ll/100_4801.jpg

Edited by SlyOwl
Resized main image, other images changed to links

You might want to deeplink your photos as the folder is not yet public.

To do this, click on the small image of a picture above the post window, paste in your photo's web address and press enter.

I'll make some comments on your MOC once I see pictures. :pir-classic:

You also might want to insert a couple of images into your first because that will help your entry get more attention. It's more likely someone will passover a thread without images.

In case you're not sure how to do this may I suggest you read our How to Deeplink and Post Images Tutorial as this will teach you how to link directly to your Brickshelf images. This way you don't have to worry about whether your Brickshelf folders are moderated because your images will display regardless.

You also might want to insert a couple of images into your first because that will help your entry get more attention. It's more likely someone will passover a thread without images.

In case you're not sure how to do this may I suggest you read our How to Deeplink and Post Images Tutorial as this will teach you how to link directly to your Brickshelf images. This way you don't have to worry about whether your Brickshelf folders are moderated because your images will display regardless.

Mister Phes and Erdbeereis1 are right, you need to deeplink your photos to your post. The folder is not yet even public yet.

Suggestion

I can't say any thing yet, but you can only have a max of 6 pictures and cannnot be bigger than 640x480.

Not much to say until I can see your pictures.

cannnot be bigger than 640x480

Actually, although that is the standard on Eurobricks, the images are allowed to be a maximum of 800x600 for an entry.

Issues:

Largly no pictures,

Secondly, you wrote for the title of this thread: "my ptv entrie small". You should have written: My PTV entry - Small. So you should ask an admin to change that for you as it is unprofessional looking before you even open the topic.

rahh turn your pic 90° clockwise ! ^^

pirate using guillotine to kill people ? why not ^^ that's a nice moc but.. is the blood coming from the head made of lego parts ?

rahh turn your pic 90° clockwise ! ^^

pirate using guillotine to kill people ? why not ^^ that's a nice moc but.. is the blood coming from the head made of lego parts ?

Silly Guss! The blood is merely transparent red plates! I like the moc. Although could you use brown instead of red? I know it is a rarer colour, but it would look much better. Other than that, I really like it. Well done and good luck! :pir-classic:

Silly Guss! The blood is merely transparent red plates!

He's talking about the other pictures, where the executioner minifig lifts the beheaded head up. The blood coming out doesn't look like anything related to LEGO to me... So that's definitely a minus. Also, the guillotine itself should be brown instead of red.

I'm not sure if guillotine was even used in the New World, as I've read somewhere that it was invented during the French Revolution. I could be wrong, though.

You should probably improve your MOC while you still have the time, Cpt. Jr., if you want to compete for the prizes.

we can see in this pic that the guillotine is fine in red ^^

Guillotinemodels.jpg

and it actually seems that it was invented during the 18th century.

Edited by Guss

He's talking about the other pictures, where the executioner minifig lifts the beheaded head up. The blood coming out doesn't look like anything related to LEGO to me...
we can see in this pic that the guillotine is fine in red ^^

Guillotinemodels.jpg

Thanks for completley contradicting my post. :pir_laugh2:

I see what you mean about the blood now though. Not a good look. LEGO only in this comp.

And yes, red does actually look good although I think it would be better in brown.

Good luck! :pir-classic:

My opinion:

It has a cruelty factor of 12,5/10 so that's good, and I think your guillotine looks pretty good and realistical as well, so you get a :thumbup: from me for this one!

There are some concerns I have though.

Possible improvements:

1) ANACHRONISM !!! The guillotine was discovered in 1792 !It wasn't used often in the Caribbean, and not before 1826 according to my sources. The contest entries should take place between 1500 and 1800, which is the primary reason there aren't any others in the contest I think.

Maybe you could convert it into a

Halifax Gibbet?

BUT: don't worry to much about this, I think it is allowed anyway.

2) Add some realistical movement to the pirate that is standing next to the guillotine.

3) Do you have any better faces for the pirate and the errr...chopped off head? These are just so "standard".

4) You must choose which pictures we are supposed to rate, we can't rate them all.

5) Tiling the little baseplate would be fine I think. Maybe you could try it and see how it looks?

Non-brick related advise:

1) Deeplink your pics. This is a lot easier for us. Remember the guidelines concerning this!

2) Watch your grammar: eg. "exicution" should be execution.

Keep building and having fun! I like your work.

Edited by zorro3999

Your guillotine looks very accurate and the entry is plenty gruesome, but there are quite a few thing you could improve.

Here are some pointers

1) I think it would be a very wise decision to rotate deep-link your photos, as it's very hard to get excited about an entry when there's not a picture as soon as you click on the thread.

2) It really doesn't look like the blood you have used in that one picture is a real LEGO piece. And the rules clearly state that you must only use official LEGO parts, except for string.

3) On the baseplate, I believe tiling it a bit would greatly enhance the look of your MOC.

4) In your entry description, it says that the soldiers have struck back against the pirates, but it looks as though the pirate is executing his own men. I would recommend using a red or bluecoat soldier next to the guillotine, and perhaps have a pirate standing next to him in custody with a scared head.

5) Adding some red cheese slopes or 1 x 1 tiles on top would give the guillotine some extra detail.

6) I would select some different heads to the ones you are currently using, because they look a little too happy for people that have their heads cut off. :pir-tongue:

You already have a pretty solid entry, but I think if you improve a few things that some of us have suggested, then it will turn out great!

Good luck in the contest!

I don't know why everyone is complaining about the anachronism. This is a "horrendous violence in lego" contest, not a 'historically accurate lego" contest.

It's just that some people, including myself, preffer the historically accurate MOC's to the fictional ones. Don't ask why, I just like them better that way.

I don't know why everyone is complaining about the anachronism. This is a "horrendous violence in lego" contest, not a 'historically accurate lego" contest.

Is it? I thought it was just a "Make a MOC featuring the realism of pirate life" contest. Excessive violence isn't required, just pirates doing something that is in character. Thus the guillotine seems out of place to me...

It's just that some people, including myself, preffer the historically accurate MOC's to the fictional ones. Don't ask why, I just like them better that way.

I agree.

I enjoy historical accuracy too... but let's face it, lego pirates are anything but that. And again, the contest rules do not specify that anachronisms are a bad thing.

Also, the gulliontime came before the shako or bicorne did (or around the same time), and I've seen PLENTY of entries with both.

I enjoy historical accuracy too... but let's face it, lego pirates are anything but that. And again, the contest rules do not specify that anachronisms are a bad thing.

Also, the gulliontime came before the shako or bicorne did (or around the same time), and I've seen PLENTY of entries with both.

The guillotine was invented by "le Docteur Guillotine" in 1792 (French Revolution was still raging in 1792) actually he made this disovery at least a year before but because off the many executions during the French Revolution (mainly done by hanging and chopping heads of with an axe) he sold this to the government as a more humane method of executing deathsentences.

After all, chopping heads of with an axe was a brutal and slow proces. It sometimes took up to 10 minutes before this was done, since some executioners and/or judges made it a sport of using blented axes... :pir-grin:

The guillotine was invented by "le Docteur Guillotine" in 1792

his name is : Docteur Joseph Ignace Guillotin

quote from the article :

Son idée est adoptée en 1791 par la loi du 6 octobre et, malgré ses protestations, on attribue son nom à cette machine, qui existait pourtant depuis le XVIe siècle.

approximative translation : "his idea is adopted in 1791 by the october 6th law and, despite his protest, they gave his name to the machine, which yet existed since the XVIth century "

I don't say that what is written on wikipedia is right, but there is other article on different website that says that similar machine existed before the French revolution, Maybe it wasn't used in the Caribbean, maybe it was ^^ I don't really think that we can't affirm that it didn't exist and they didn't use it, anyway, it's the admin decision to accept or not this entry, but in my opinion, I think it'll be fine.

EDIT : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillotine >>

The guillotine became infamous (and acquired its name) in France at the time of the French Revolution; however, guillotine-like devices, such as the Halifax Gibbet and Scottish Maiden seen on the right, existed and were used for executions in several European countries long before the French Revolution, the earliest reference to the Halifax Gibbet dating back to 1286. The first documented use of The (Irish) Maiden was in 1307 in Ireland,[2] and there are accounts of similar devices in Italy and Switzerland dating back to the 15th century. Nevertheless, the French developed the machine further and became the first nation to use it as a standard execution method.
Edited by Guss

Opinion

This is a good little small MOC. I like how you have created your MOC and use the guillotine. I like how you think. You have added blood and a chopped off head on the ground. That is always good to have. Also, I like how you created the guillotine.

Possible Improvements

1) First thing is that you should get some of your facts straight.

2) I don't really understand what this has to do with pirates at all. This is what villages did you people in the old days that have commited a crime. Pirates did not do this.

3) Put some tiles down on the ground.

4) Your are only allowed to have a max of 6 pictures in your contest entry. Pick which ones you want to be graded and deeplink them to your topic.

Overall- I don't really find this a good entry for this contest, but it is a good MOC. I think you should change your theme. I wish you good luck!

LegoKing

The guillotine was invented by "le Docteur Guillotine" in 1792.

I feel sorry for his decendants having a surname like that! :pir_laugh2:

how do i deeplink, i tried it and got an error? As to my faces, yes it is sad i dont have any more non standard ones for the decapitated head, however the other one was meant to be happy because the french were nutty and liked doing that sort of thing at the time. The color red for the guilioteen was historic, because as someone mentioned already (ITHINK) it dosent show the blood of the previous victims. Sorry about my spelling errors, i am learning a second language, german, and i tend to mix and match some spellings :pir-blush:. Does anyone know if lego makes a basket?

the french were nutty and liked doing that sort of thing at the time.

??