36 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away....

Luke Skywalker and his merry gang join us today in reviewing the X-Wing Fighter. Will Luke manage to blow up the Death Star?

6212 X-Wing Fighter

6212-1.jpg

Set Info:

Set Name: 6212 X-Wing Fighter

Theme: Star Wars

Released: 2006

Pieces: 437

Price: USD 49.99-EUR I'm not entirely sure, but one place said 69.99-GBP 39.99

Minifigs: 6

Review time!

We'll start with the box.

First, the front, which shows the X-Wing flying through space being chased by TIE Fighters. It also shows an image of the minifigs included with the set.

x_wing_029.jpg

Now, the back which has some of the features of the set, along with a picture of the sets that were released alongside this one back in 2006.

x_wing_030.jpg

The instruction manual

The picture on the front is the same image as on the front of the box.

x_wing_031.jpg

On the back is an advertisement for the LEGO Star Wars video game.

x_wing_032.jpg

The Minifigs

With this set you get a whopping 6 minifigs, 3 of which are exclusive to the set. It's really nice to get so many figs with a set that's not ridiculously overpriced.

The exclusive figs are: Wedge Antilles, Han Solo in a Hoth outfit (he has a nice parka and printed legs.) and Princess Leia in a Hoth outfit. The other figs are Luke Skywalker in a pilot's uniform, R2-D2 and Chewbacca . The minifigs that come with the set are great.

x_wing_033.jpg

Some interesting parts

These parts are nice. A chrome lightsaber which I really miss, a nice printed slope with a picture of the Death Star's trench and some great printed tiles.

One wonderful part about this set is that there are absolutely no stickers in this set, which is always nice.

x_wing_034.jpg

The Extras

I think I must have missed where to put the red plate.

x_wing_013.jpg

All built!

Here is the finished set! The design is very good. I think the LEGO designers did a great job getting the look of the ship right.

x_wing_014.jpg

The front part of the ship has an interesting angle made by some hinge bricks.

x_wing_015.jpg

Cockpit

The cockpit can hinge up as usual.

x_wing_016.jpg

Here is the inside with the nice printed slope.

x_wing_020.jpg

Side Guns

These are simple, but look really good.

x_wing_017.jpg

Engine

Like the guns, the engines are simple, but have a nice appearance.

x_wing_018.jpg

The Back

This is a good picture to see the x shape of the wings. You can also see the nice wing lifting mechanism, which works really well.

To make it work, you turn the technic gear, which turns a piece, and then lifts up the wings. The tension is held by the rubber bands. It works really well and adds a lot of playability.

x_wing_019.jpg

The Nose

x_wing_021.jpg

Lightsaber Compartment

This is a really nice feature, as often the lightsabers or weapons that you get with a set just lie around, easy to get lost. It's nice to have it right at hand.

x_wing_022.jpg

Customization Options

Now we get to the "customization" you can do with the set. The set comes with a printed tile with 5 red stripes, which is "Red 5" Luke's ship, and also comes with red and white tiles so you can make "Red 3" Wedge's ship.

x_wing_023.jpg

Now it's time to bid our friends goodbye...

x_wing_025.jpg

Brickshelf Folder

Now, for the ratings!

Price: 10/10 (6 minifigs, a good number of parts and a Star Wars set for $50.)

Parts: 9/10 (Not a gigantic amount of pieces, but many of them are quite large.)

Design: 10/10 (It looks great and has lots of nice features.)

Playability: 10/10 (Quite swooshable and the wing-lifting feature is great.)

Build: 9/10 (Not too hard but still took a decent amount of time. Pieces are not in numbered bags though.)

Minifigs 10/10 (6 of them, and 3 are exclusive. Hoth Leia and Han are really detailed.)

Overall: 58/60

Brickset

Peeron

Bricklink

LEGO S@H

What will happen when R2 retires?

x_wing_026.jpg

Conclusion

I have to say, this is an amazing set that any LEGO fan would enjoy. Lots of figs, good design and nice playability make this a set that I can highly recommend.

Thanks, and happy building! :classic:

Nice Review this is definitely a nice set. I haven't touched mine in a while I might have to get my duster out. how do you get such clear photos?

What will happen when R2 retires?

x_wing_026.jpg

Poor Luke. :tongue: Great job on the review as always. I must agree with your conclusion as I am not a LEGO Star Wars collector but I am tempted to purchase this set. Don't think it will blend in with my Castle sets, however.

There was already a review for this set.
Well thanks for the constructive feedback :hmpf_bad:.

Really good review there Erdbeereis :thumbup:! Nice, bright & sharp pictures with SP-2P as a kicker :laugh:!

I also think this is a great set, especially for those who missed out on the 4502 for the X-Wing. Good minifig pack on top of that!

I´ve MOC´ed it a bit for a project - the Driving School version:

x-wing_1.jpgx-wing_10.jpgx-wing_rear_6.jpg

The last pictures is of the better looking behind with the rubberbands placed internal instead.

CopMike

Good review! I find it interesting that this set went unreviewed for 2 years, then, out of the blue, two people(me and you) review it in the same day! :tongue:

You got a problem with that? :tongue:

I don't, Well done on a great review mate! I have always wanted this set, but still am yet to purchase it. It is such an iconic vehicle and instantly recognisable as well as coming with cool minifigs.

Nice photos too, I give it 3 :thumbup::tongue:

Good review! I find it interesting that this set went unreviewed for 2 years, then, out of the blue, two people(me and you) review it in the same day! :tongue:

I didn't realize that! That is really weird! :wacko:

Sorry to take away from your glory. :blush:

I didn't realize that! That is really weird! :wacko:

Sorry to take away from your glory. :blush:

Sorry to take away from yours. :grin:

Great review with clear pictures. It showed clearly that you don't have to undergo grading. :tongue:

Seriously, X-Wing Fighter is my favourite SW aircraft in the OT. I had not built my X-Wing yet due to lack of time and space. Therefore, I am keeping these safely in my boxes, hoping one day I could bring it out and build and do a review too. :laugh: Is there one more space for X-Wing's 3rd review? You have pointed out several good points such as its compartment and I loved your ending. It give me a good laugh. I can't image future rebel pliots using "it" for navigation.

These are the planes which I had bought this year. :blush:

xwingfighters1.jpg

There was already a review for this set.

In Eurobricks, we welcome multiple reviews of the same set to provide different perspectives and presentation.

Thanks for the review S-Man.

I've added it to the index.

This is my favourite X-Wing fighter.

This is a great set :cry_happy::thumbup: [since I own it]

I gave it a 4 But its not perfect, it could definatly use some modding

Nice review :thumbup:

Mini-Figs: :classic::classic::classic::classic: - Couldve had a real Hoth Han [Like the one in the latest Millenium Falcon]

Build: :classic::classic::classic::classic: .5 Pretty well designed but could be slightly better

Price: :classic::classic::classic::classic: Its pretty expensive on Shop @ Home [for Australia including shipping that is] But I got it in store for $60 which I think is pretty good :classic:

Overall: :classic::classic::classic::classic:

How would you rate this one compared to the other 2 versions? I see there are small differences between this one and the yoda kit. Many differences between the first one. Lego keeps remaking this. 3 models and one of the large models.

You got a problem with that? :tongue:

Hey, I'm new here! :hmpf_bad:

I didn't know it was allowed that there were multiple of the same reviews here on Eurobricks... :alien:

Nice review by the way. I think I'm not going to buy this set since it's too expensive..

The price is $62 at S@H + shipping costs is around $68

Edited by General Magma

Hey, I'm new here! :hmpf_bad:

I didn't know it was allowed that there were multiple of the same reviews here on Eurobricks... :alien:

Nice review by the way. I think I'm not going to buy this set since it's too expensive..

The price is $62 at S@H + shipping costs is around $68

Don't worry about it. :classic:

That's why I used the :tongue: .

I never like S@H shipping prices either....

Don't worry about it. :classic:

That's why I used the :tongue: .

I never like S@H shipping prices either....

How much do you have to pay for shipping costs? I guess it would be alot since you live on The Northpole. :tongue:

Normally the price for shipping starts at around $7. I feel they should give you free shipping if you order over a certain amount of money, as many other online shops do.

Great review Erdbeereis1 :thumbup: . I think your pics are awesome (I specially like your pic of the minifigs) really neat and with good light, perfect! :sweet: . I own this set and I also want to add that I found it in a lucky day (Just think in this, I found it the december 26 of 2006 in a Toys R Us and is the only lego star wars in the shelf :oh::grin: (Or I think so :laugh: )) and I think is the best redention of the x-wing so far. I really like the minor changes the TLC add to this and that option of customized (I have mine in the Red Leader 3 style). I also like the Wedge minifig (I think the Han and Leia in this set can be get on the 4505 Millenium Falcon set :wink: ).

Poor Luke. :tongue: Great job on the review as always. I must agree with your conclusion as I am not a LEGO Star Wars collector but I am tempted to purchase this set. Don't think it will blend in with my Castle sets, however.

But when spongebob needs to make repairs, the empire can't hit him because they aim for the holes. XD

Can anyone briefly summarise the differences between this X-Wing and the X-Wing found in set 4502 (Dagobah set) ? I have 4502, and also the older X-Wing (7140), just wondering if it's worth picking this one up as well...

Thanks !

Dr. D.

Other then Yoda's hut and the mini figs, the only real difference is the nose, white vs gray and the the use of old grays on 2004. Also note Lego is dumb when it comes to Wedge's X-Wing, he was Red 2 in Ep 4 and Rogue/Red Leader in Ep 6. Biggs was Red 3 in Ep 4. As for the original X-Wing it is completely different and simpler no technic opening wings, nose is stubby mostly old grays and more bricks then plates and lot of slopes.

Edited by Knightsword

Thanks, Knightsword. Given that the new X-Wing is so similar to 4502, I guess I'll know how obsessional I am if I decide to go buy it anyway......

Dr. D.

Great review, I am really tempted to buy it. Does anyone know if it is exclusive to TRU only?