49 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

I noticed no one had reviewed this set yet, so I thought I would.

Set name: X-wing Fighter

Set Number: 6212

Theme: Star Wars

Released: 2006

Pieces: 437

Minifigures: 6

Price: 39.99 EUR, 49.99 USD, 79.99 CDN

Brickset

Peeron

Bricklink

LegoShop.com

LegoShop.com Description: Fly with the heroes of the Rebel Alliance!

Build one of the most famous ships of the Star Wars saga! In the hands of the Rebel Alliance's brave pilots, the X-wing starfighter helped to destroy two massive Death Stars. With S-foil wings that open to attack position, folding landing gear, a cargo hold and lots of authentic details, this Star Wars set includes the first-ever LEGO minifigure of Rebel hero Wedge Antilles, as well as several hard-to-find characters. Features parts to customize your starfighter as either Luke Skywalker's Red Five or Wedge's Red Three X-wing! Includes Wedge Antilles, Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca and R2-D2 minifigures.

Now, Onto the review!

The Box

Front

x-wing_001.jpg

The box is very detailed, showing Wedge flying the X-wing with TIE fighters pursuing him. It also identifies this set as a limited edition and prominently displays the six minifigures included. Personally, I like these old style boxes better than the new clone wars ones.

Back

x-wing_002.jpg

This basically shows all the sets functions, such as the moving cockpit canopy and landing gear, as well as the mechanism that moves the wings. Like most lego boxes, it also advertises the 2006 line of star wars lego.

The Instructions

Front

x-wing_003.jpg

This is basically the same picture thats on the front of the box. The instructions are of the usual lego quality and there are no errors.

Back

x-wing_004.jpg

This shows an advertisement for the "new" Lego star wars game. You can tell the age of the set by this. :tongue:

Random Page

x-wing_005.jpg

The Minifigures

x-wing_006.jpg

These are what really sold me on this set. It comes with Hoth Han Solo, Hoth Leia Organa, Chewbacca, R2-D2, as well as Wedge Antilles and Luke Skywalker. The last 2 are very similar except for the patterns on their helmets. Han and Leia both come with awesome parka torsos, which are very useful, aand Chebacca is very accurate to the movies. R2-D2 is always good, but I think most people have too many astromech droids (I personally have 4).

Extra Pieces

x-wing_007.jpg

This is what you're left with at the end: 3 round 1x1 plates of different colours, 2 technic connecters,and a yellow and black joystick piece. Sorry for the yellowed picture.

The X-wing

x-wing_008.jpg

And there you have it, the main part of the set. It is very well made, and some interesting design techniques have clearly been used(especially with the long, tapering front of the starfighter). The four identical engines exude a look of power, and the tried and true X-wing/Y-wing/Snowspeeder cockpit canopy has, of course, been used. The ships every detail really is spot-on accurate to the movies. I found the ship to be quite light and fairly sturdy, except that the wings are a tad flimsy.

Cockpit Canopy

x-wing_009.jpg

A picture showing the aforementioned cockpit canopy. It is semi-transparent and has a simple but accurate print on it.

The blaster Cannons

x-wing_010.jpg

These are simple and accurate, however I thought they should have been longer.

The Engines

x-wing_011.jpg

One of the four engines. They look alright and they are very sturdy.

Back view

x-wing_012.jpg

In this picture you can see the backs of the engines as well as the gear and rubberbands that power the S-foil opening mechanism. It works well but opens fairly slowly. The rubber bands make it impossible to close the wings without turning the gear.

Bottom view

x-wing_013.jpg

I had to show you it from this angle. It shows the uniquely desined nose of the fighter. Through the clever use of hinge pieces, the designers managed to make the long front of the starfighter a triangle. I thought this was the most interesting part of the design of the set.

Printed Piece

x-wing_014.jpg

This is probably the best printed piece I own. It is a few pipes and connectors as well as 2 rebellion logos. Its very useful for rebel MOCs and this set comes with 2!

The Cockpit

x-wing_015.jpg

This is simple and rudimentary. Its basically just a flight stick and a targeting computer. I would have preffered if they had been able to fit a moulded seat into it.

Attack Mode

x-wing_016.jpg

Sorry for the bad lighting on this one. I was so preoccupied trying to keep the ship from falling off my improvised display stand, I forgot to fix it.

Its also worth noting that you can change the markings on the wings of the fighter to create different ships from red squadron.

Lukes Red 5

x-wing_017.jpg

Wedges Red 3

x-wing_018.jpg

Entire set with minifigures

x-wing_019.jpg

x-wing_020.jpg

Overall

Design: 9/10- Its perfect(except the wings are slightly flimsy.

Build: 8/10- The build is mostly straightforward, but confusing at times.

Minifigures:10/10-It doesn't get much better than this.

Playability: 8/10-Fun to swoosh around, but the wings may break.

Price: 6/10-I thought it could have been a lot cheaper.

45/50

Conclusion

I don't think this set could have been much better. Its accurate, well constructed, and has plenty of cool minifigures. I doubt this will be around much longer, so unless you want to pay big bucks for it on ebay or bricklink in a couple of years, I reccomend picking one up.Thanks for reading my review of this awesome set. Comments,questions,and constructive criticism are not only welcomed, but encouraged.

A very good review, millacol88.

This set is a true treasure and classic, I wish I never had my Dark Ages and bought this one instead...it was at my Dark Ages I had the most money, but someone wanted to buy booz every day...(stupid me :angry: )

And now it's a bit to expensive for my taste.

Edited by zorro3999

That was a pretty nice review Millacol88. I thought the lighting looked really good on your improvised display stand because it gave it a cool effect which I do not know what to call.

Good review! It's an awesome set, but $62 is a bit too expensive though.. :hmpf_bad:

They still sell it in the UK not sure about the Netherlands though. :look:

Thanks for the comments, guys. I got very lucky in finding this set. I thought it was no longer available but I managed to find it in a TRU near where I live.

EDIT: Could someone please add a poll to this?

Edited by millacol88

Poll added and review Indexed.

Thanks for this fine review.

The 6212 is my favourite version of this Rebel Fighter.

Lego store near me still has this. correct me if I am wrong, this is the third model of the Xwing. I have the verison with yoda and his hut. I would love to see a side by side of all three to see which one really is the better made model.

I always Loved the X-wing, and I think sit set is excellent, I really like how it looks ^^

I got this for X-mas and I agree it can't get much better, but it would have been nice is Han, Leia, Wedge, and Chewie came with guns. I had plenty of guns for then though. I did find mine on shop@home.

Its a great set(got 2 of them and the original that came with Yoda's hut), but what bugs me and how Lego got it wrong, I dunno, but Wedge's X-Wing is Red 2, Bigg's was Red-3.

Nice set and review. For every review I read I want the set reviewed even more!

It surprises me that this set comes with so many minifigs - only one fits in side the starfighter! (two with R2 D2 of course...) It is a great source of rare and cool minifigs.

Excellent review of an iconic Star Wars vehicle. I agree with your rating. This is a very cool set and the number of minifigures is just the icing on the cake.

The hinge technique used to create the nose is different and works quite well. This set will be right up there as one of the best for me.

Lego store near me still has this. correct me if I am wrong, this is the third model of the Xwing. I have the verison with yoda and his hut. I would love to see a side by side of all three to see which one really is the better made model.

Not including the mini versions, I think 6212 is actually the 5th version ! Previously we've had 7191 (UCS X-Wing), 7140, 7142 (re-release of 7140), 4502 (Dagobah) and finally 6212. I'd have to say that 7191 is the best, and I love 4502 because of Yoda's hut, but 6212 is I guess the most 'realistic' of the non-UCS versions.

Dr. D.

I love this set. It was one of the best deal's I've ever gotten, only Leia's hair was blobby... :cry_sad:

Edited by Darth Legolas

Thanks for the review. I love it when a reviewer has lots of pics and comments.

I never new that there was an X-wing that had so many minfigs! Add to that the fact that they are fleshies, seems to me I have some shopping to do. Set 6212 will soon be added to my list!

I'd like to see a new version of the X-wing, using the 3x12 wedge plates for the wings to make longer slimmer wings, and not use the specially-made star wars pieces like the cannons (I don't know if the engines are new or what)

A nicely done review!

I really like this version of the x-wing. Such an iconic ship from the OT.

Thinking of getting one to keep in MINT. Also with a good lie-up of mini-figs.

Ask and you shall receive. :classic:

The X-wings from 4502 and 6212 are nearly identically constructed. The only major difference is the switch from grey to bley bricks.

xwing_3.jpg

xwing_4.jpg

xwing_5.jpg

In what countries does it say this set is made in, if possible a picture of the part of the box where it says it.

I bought this set after finding a ten-pound note on the floor in the middle of the road. It is great but the wings keep falling off mine.

Nice Review! :thumbup:

Great pics! :thumbup:

I own this set and even though I don't own the other two, I must say from the pic of all three, that this is the best one out of them all!

It's a really good set.

CommanderFox