Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

The Frigate SMS Austin

thindexedgif.gif 17a

We've been discussing the possibility of naval frigates in other threads if anyone's been reading. I've finally come across of a MOC one!

asmsaustin_profile2.jpg

And I'm very pleased because its not a modified Black Seas Barracuda, Skulles Eye Schooner or Caribbean Clipper.

Brickshelf Gallery

This captain definitely needs some crew :)

I like it when people make good looking custom hull sections, like the whole part between bow and stern in this case. Inverted slopes at the sides would look better than normal bricks, however the way it is it looks surprisingly good.

Yes, we can all learn something from viewing other people's MOCs. I'm curious about the crew too. I noticed there's an important looking figure on the stern but not quite sure what his signifigance is. I've asked the creator and still waiting upon the response. When I get it, I'll post it here and we'll all live happily ever after!

Edit by Phred:

This topic has been merged with Mr. Phes' topic on the same ship.

Although I've had my ships already posted on Brickshelf, I haven't yet introduced them. In the next few weeks I hope to start building again, but in the interim I thought I'd show this community and ask for comments and suggestions.

The SMS Austin is a strong corvette style frigate with 26 custom cannons and deck room for more!

Please feel free to critic, I'll be building again shortly.

asmsaustin_profile2.jpg

for more links visit...

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1360488

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1360477

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1360471

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1360474

P.S. Yes that is an admiral with my custom sticker. I'll try to post a closer shot in the future.

Although I've had my ships already posted on Brickshelf, I haven't yet introduced them. In the next few weeks I hope to start building again, but in the interim I thought I'd show this community and ask for comments and suggestions.

The SMS Austin is a strong corvette style frigate with 26 custom cannons and deck room for more!

Please feel free to critic, I'll be building again shortly.

asmsaustin_profile2.jpg

for more links visit...

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1360488

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1360477

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1360471

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1360474

P.S. Yes that is an admiral with my custom sticker. I'll try to post a closer shot in the future.

excellent as usual, but i was wondering if you could give us a shot of your custom cannons.... buying the real deal is out of my budget right now, and would love to see some alternatives.

also, if i remember correctly, this was one of the last MOCs on Piratebricks right? do all your ships still exist? or are they getting taken apart to build when you start building again. BTW didnt you have a shot of 6 sterns or soemthing on your brickshelf page. that was a cool image! what happened to it? or am i thinking someone else?

Actually this MOC was posted on Eurobricks last year by ME!!! Unfortnately it didn't get much of a response but that was back in the days before I was in charge of anything so things should be different now and this ship should get a better response on its second run.

If you're curious you can look at the old thread but that's not much to see there.

As usual SirScott, a great ship, however the sails look a bit too low, and the last mast at the back( I don't know the english word for it) should be longer, Great ship!

Mr Tiber

As usual SirScott, a great ship, however the sails look a bit too low, and the last mast at the back( I don't know the english word for it) should be longer, Great ship!

Mr Tiber

As I look at by gummy your right! Those sails are too low to the ship. As with all my collection they are in boxes in my basement but I anticipate pulling them out of the depths of Davey Jones locker in about two weeks, then I will make the recommended changes.

Thanks mate!

Remind me what the sails are made out of...

I know its written in another thread somewhere but the impending class start is preventing me from searching. Besides, its much to nicer to recieve the answer from the MOC creator!

Remind me what the sails are made out of...

I know its written in another thread somewhere but the impending class start is preventing me from searching. Besides, its much to nicer to recieve the answer from the MOC creator!

I don't have the exact name of the stuff right now because I'm at work (hee, hee) but it's basically foam paper from Walmart, you can also get it from different craft stores too. Some would rather work with cloth but I find this is extremely sturdy and doesn't fray. I also like that you don't have to iron or worry so much about dust. I have a small hole punch which works really well and I don't have to worry about rips and tears in my rigging...

Ok, what's this stuff similiar too? That link you've provided isn't working for me a the moment so I can't go and have a look.

Hmm, foam, I am almost sure there is some practical use of it I can use to describe it but I just can;t think of it right now. Well, it's more solid than cloth but still pretty flaxible and it has a rubbery kind of feel.

SirScottLego, this is quite the attractive ship. I haven't seen many people use the bar pieces as railing, though, judging by the spacing it looks as if you had a slim supply. The situation of the cannons is too random (I really can't stand that. :-P), and I'm not big on the "gold" bow area. Why did you substitute a wagon wheel for the ship's wheel? Because I've been thinking that a "dwarf wheel" would be handy for cramped spaces... A little something TLC might want to consider when they revise the Pirate Line.

Mr Tiber

I found the word! It has to be mizzen mast :-P About the mast, all of the masts should be taller, it would also take care of the low sails, the mast of those ships were veeerrryy tall. The bow setion: could also use some work

smsaustin_bowdetail.jpg

It looks a bit of boring, there are plenty of MOC's for inspiration, for example, here is my improved bow section

voorschot.jpg

To Berry Syedow: this is not gold, look at here

It reminds me alot fo this ship

pallada-tall-ship.jpg

Minus the height and number of sails.

Which ship is this? It looks like this image has a constrained width (I.e. it should be wider than it is) and it looks too tall for its length.

It reminds me alot fo this ship

pallada-tall-ship.jpg

Minus the height and number of sails.

Which ship is this? It looks like this image has a constrained width (I.e. it should be wider than it is) and it looks too tall for its length.

It looks like the Pallada to me

And the width is supossed to be like that, I've bin at some of those tall ships on Sail 2005 in Amsterdam, the most looked to long for its width, the only ship what was wide enough for it's lenght was the Amerigo Vespucci, a bloody nice ship!