Just how cool is the CCB?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• I'm sorry I can't seem to decide just how cool it is
    • soooooo cool
    • Outstanding
    • Truly amazing, best idea ever!
    • I truly can't live life without it!

A cat walk in this case is the long stretch of elevated land in which the minifigs can walk and stand. If you look at the post KimT previosly posted, a cat walk is what you see the minifigs standing on, I assume that is what is being referred to.

Alright, i already thought something like that and in the meanwhile i tried to build a VERY RAW prototype of what i thought a module could look like. Once again note, that it's very raw and i only want to show my idea with it.

That's about the way it could look on the outside wall:

s73f0062mk7.jpg

w800.png

The backside is left open, i think there everybody could decide for himself if he puts in a wall or something other, for example a horse stable there would not be needed walls necessarily:

s73f0064yw6.jpg

w800.png

And as i mentioned before, the roof or catwalk could be attached with modular building technique:

s73f0067hn8.jpg

w800.png

What do you think about that idea?

Edited by metalandi

This project sounds like an excellent idea, that I would love to be a part of. (on my way to bed, will add more comments and ideas tomorrow).

I like that idea Metalandi, just one thing, if we use a 16x16 plate then it would be pretty hard to get a large castle here no? How many sections are going to be built? We should or there should be some kind of uniform patter for the outer wall, what exactly it should like like and exactly what peices should be used. So that way a 16x16 baseplate could be efectivly used.

I would definitely be interested, but if you already have enough people, I don't mind just watching the magic. :tongue:

This is a really neat idea, I Scream Clone! I'm not sure if I'll be able to contribute creation wise, but I am definitely interested in seeing where this goes.

How were you planning on keeping the buildings similar in appearance? Perhaps once you're beginning to settle on the basic guidelines and style, you or someone else could build a module for others to use as a reference?

Dear all,

I must admit, the idea is begining to grow on me.

I was wondering about the regular wall sections.

should we agree on a wall width on the outside of the castle,

so we can seamlessly attach them? the inside could be variable

by living quarters and stables.

I used KimT his photo as a reference.

Kind regards,

teddy

post-1646-1223538884.jpg

Alright, i already thought something like that and in the meanwhile i tried to build a VERY RAW prototype of what i thought a module could look like. Once again note, that it's very raw and i only want to show my idea with it.

That's about the way it could look on the outside wall:

s73f0062mk7.jpg

The backside is left open, i think there everybody could decide for himself if he puts in a wall or something other, for example a horse stable there would not be needed walls necessarily:

And as i mentioned before, the roof or catwalk could be attached with modular building technique:

What do you think about that idea?

Great to see plenty of interest so far guys. metalandi, i like what you have done so far, but since we are all building interiors for castles perhaps the front of the Castle wall should move forward on the baseplate?

I also feel the wall itself should maybe only be 4-6 bricks thick in order to allow more building on the rest of the baseplate

This project sounds like an excellent idea, that I would love to be a part of. (on my way to bed, will add more comments and ideas tomorrow).
I would definitely be interested, but if you already have enough people, I don't mind just watching the magic. :tongue:

Youre all on the list guys!

Dear all,

I must admit, the idea is begining to grow on me.

I was wondering about the regular wall sections.

should we agree on a wall width on the outside of the castle,

so we can seamlessly attach them? the inside could be variable

by living quarters and stables.

I used KimT his photo as a reference.

Kind regards,

teddy

post-1646-1223538884.jpg

I will work up my quick idea for a section soon.

Judging by the keenness shown I will have to put metalandi into one of the first groups to build i think.

Here is a list of Castle structures etc that I shamelessly ripped from the net :classic: . This should give us a good starting point.

Make the castle modular. Since the line will hopefully last at least several years, modular sets could expand the castle. Ideas such as the castle kitchen, stables, armory, blacksmith, etc were suggested. Finally I had a unique idea to increase modularity. Why not make the actual castle itself split into individual towers with hinges, center wall sections, and a gatehouse? This will allow a child to make a variety of different castles, large and small, with the same assembled sets. The designers really liked this idea. It is also good because large sets are assembled in steps. Each section would be a step.

Other group ideas included:

gatehouses

crenellations

hoardings

dungeon

secret entrances

hidden treasure

princess or wizard's tower

keep

drawbridge

brick built portcullis

buttresses

curved towers

defensive siege weapons

collapsing walls or towers

traditional joust

So for starters lets get a list of favourites

Blacksmith forge

Kitchen/Mess hall

Stables

Dungeon

I need the first lot of people to put there hands up for the first two builds. Lets start with 3 people per category (this can be expanded later if more interested parties are keen :sadnew: )

Why dont we start with 3 for Blacksmith and 3 for Stables?

that ok with everyone?

I will update the first post with how projects are going. You're entries can be posted like normal mocs and everyone is free to comment here or in the thread, though I think we might limit the initial intake of builders to say 18?

Is it too late to join?

This sounds cool, especially since it's castle...

So, can I join? :look:

Is it too late to join?

This sounds cool, especially since it's castle...

So, can I join? :look:

Of course mate, your in!

By the way

For standardizing the Castle wall, I feel it needs to be made out of mostly light bley with dark bley features (up to you) in the pics below I have moved the wall section forward to allow more room inside the castle wall for structures, thoughts on the placement?

earlyOct006.jpg

This pic show a couple of ways to place tiles to give the wall some character, headlights and the other piece shown here 47905.gif

earlyOct005.jpg

So who is in for the first two builds?

Will we make it 2 weeks build time or 4?

EDIT: Just forgot to mention, I would like to see dark bley plates on top of the 6 brick high wall

and dont worry if like me you dont own 16 x 16 baseplates or what colour they are, its the rest of the build that matters :thumbup:

Edited by I Scream Clone

This is a fun and interesting idea, and I'd love to be a part of this, but there's a few concerns I have.

First of all, in my opinion making everything modular and uniform in size restricts imagination and the outcome will look a tad silly, with every room and every wall being exactly the same size (if I've understood correctly). So basically, would for example the stables, the throne room and the gate all be the same size?

Also, where do outdoor buildings like the stables attach to, if they're made modular? I'm just missing the big picture here - what shape of a castle would we build?

Forgive my ramblings, I'm just trying to get everything clear in my head so I can join the fun! :wink:

This is a fun and interesting idea, and I'd love to be a part of this, but there's a few concerns I have.

First of all, in my opinion making everything modular and uniform in size restricts imagination and the outcome will look a tad silly, with every room and every wall being exactly the same size (if I've understood correctly). So basically, would for example the stables, the throne room and the gate all be the same size?

Also, where do outdoor buildings like the stables attach to, if they're made modular? I'm just missing the big picture here - what shape of a castle would we build?

Forgive my ramblings, I'm just trying to get everything clear in my head so I can join the fun! :wink:

All very valid concerns Sandy, its a WIP at the moment, thats why I wont to start small to begin so we can see how everyone goes, I dont want 48 x 48 size behemoths yet, but im not ruling out larger structures for future comm efforts. I just want to keep the hype going now with a small project like blacksmith forge.

There is nothing stopping you making higher walls as long as they can join another construct on each end that is six bricks high, you could have ladders steps etc. We dont want to cramp the creative style of each individual, so by all means climb aboard, we look forward to your contributions

Cheers

ISC

It took me awhile to read all of this, especially after reading the Baritones Conclusion. :grin:

I will love to take part in this, but at this period, I do not really have the time to construct a castle moc which required many of my sorted bricks and in depth design techniques. I am not really a good castle builder. In fact, I don't build my own castle building mocs before. :sadnew:

However, I will watch out for the progress, and hopefully I will be able to take part at least one section of the castle. So for now, it will be a KIV (Keep in view). :wink:

ISC, hope you don't mind that I am not able to contribute actively on this project.

@ISC: I was already thinking about something similar, but as i said i just wanted to build a raw prototype of what i was thinking about. I like how you made the wall segment, the adding of such detals as tiles on the outside and 2x3 slope bricks gives it a nice touch. :thumbup:

I hope to have some time on my hands tomorrow which will result in me posting a "stripped" version of the baseplates with my thoughts on the basic layout.

I agree that we have to ensure that we don't "tie-up" the possibility of being creative and innovative.

But as mentioned one can/and will hopefully be allowed to work one's way out of having the catwalk and a fixed height.

Only imagination and time will tell.

Small modular builds to form a large castle.....this is something I have time for!!!!!

INTERESTED! Please include me.

And if you need a stable builder, I would be willing to volunteer for one of those as soon as I read the rest of the posts in this thread.....I'm just at work now.

Edited by stash2sixx

alright metalandi has been placed into Blacksmith and Stash2sixx has volunteered for stable. :thumbup:

need a couple more for each

:classic:

Castle On!

Thanks for the interest Whitefang and Captain Green hair we will be in touch later on.

Looks like some people will come around once they see the first entries I guess.

Edited by I Scream Clone

I will try the blacksmith forge ISC.

I'm a bit busy with Pillage the village, so pardon me if I don't make it. I'll try my best though! :thumbup:

This is a very exciting idea! :classic: By the way, I think it would be good to give the participants at least 3 weeks or so to get their entries in. That way there is enough time if bricklink orders and the like are needed.

Thanks, cool that you put me in for the blacksmith area, that's one of my favourite things in the castle world. :thumbup:

I just have a few more questons. First, now we decided that the wall itself should only be about 4 studs thick, do we have any guidlines or points to hold on on how to buld the rooms itself? I mean, i must admit that i don't really have the picture yet on how the whole thing should look behind the wall. As for the blacksmith area, i would imagine it isn't really a room, but an open area, like for example this. please tell me what you think :classic:

It's almost half past 3 in the night herte, but that didn't stop me from starting bulding something again, i'm already obsessed with it :tongue:

I took your idea for the wall as inspiration, and i thought maybe we should move the hole bricks more to the outside, for example like i did, 2 studs from the baseplate cause if they are in the middle that will be a problem for like the blacksmith area or other open rooms cause the bricks would be in the middle of where nothing else is.

dsc00410sz4.jpg

w800.png

You can see i made the wall basically 3 studs thick, built 1 stud into the baseplate to leave space for things like the 2x3 slope bricks.

dsc00411kz6.jpg

w800.png

There is still enough place above for the catwalk.

dsc00412la4.jpg

w800.png

Tell me what you think :classic:

Edited by metalandi

Thats great metalandi (gotta think of a nick name for you) :thumbup:

There is no reason why we cant move the wall to the edge.

I would like to see WIP shots of peoples builds so we can help shape the creations too.

Strawberry, I have added you to the list for Blacksmith too. :thumbup:

Once we have the numbers we will give a month to build the first MOC's and see how people cope with the time.

Bring it on!

Thanks ISC, i highly appreciate that! :sweet:

Now, i took your words and even it's night here i couldn't resist to build a quick sketch of my idea of the blacksmith area. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it. :classic:

dsc00413hi9.jpg

w800.png

dsc00414jy5.jpg

w800.png

dsc00415gw9.jpg

w800.png

dsc00416da4.jpg

w800.png

dsc00417vi2.jpg

w800.png

I personally think it would look better on a dark bley basebplate, but unfortunately i don't have one at the moment so i had to took the green one.

Edited by metalandi

A quick question, are we supposed to make our MOC have 3 walls and a roof plus catwalk?

And is the roof meant to cover the entire top? Or just the catwalk part?

As i said before, i think that depends on what exactly is beeing built. For example if it is a corner tower, it of course should be closed at all sides. For example the blacksmith area i think it would be enough to have the catwalk and, say a "cardboard" style roof, made of wooden parts or something like that.