KimT

Advanced Building Techniques

Hello all,

I have used some new technics learned from this topic so thanks to all who contributed. :thumbup:

After reading this topic I went on a search of the internet to find more.

I came across a technic making round structures using this Wedge 3 x 2.

But now that I want to use the technic I can no longer find it. :angry:

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Hello all,

I have used some new technics learned from this topic so thanks to all who contributed. :thumbup:

After reading this topic I went on a search of the internet to find more.

I came across a technic making round structures using this Wedge 3 x 2.

But now that I want to use the technic I can no longer find it. :angry:

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

This might be the page you are looking for: ntbricks, although it is based on 4 x 2 Wedge Bricks.

Edited by mikey

Hello there, good people of EB. :classic: I was wondering if you could help me out with a design. Since the Zurg minifig from the upcoming Toy Story sets simply has one of those stupid flick-fire bazookas as a blaster, I thought I'd make a more accurate one for him. This is how it should look like:

toys2collect_2080_2148296.jpgzurg_shooting.gif

My idea is it to use 1x1 round bricks for the barrels, but the problem is that I can't find a good way to hold them together. The best I was able to come up with was to stick Exo Force robot hands into the studs of the round bricks and then clip those onto one of those pneumatic T-pieces, but this doesn't give me the round shape I'm looking for and it's hard to attach that construction to anything.

So, do you have any ideas? Please let me know, even if your idea doesn't involve 1x1 round bricks.

So, do you have any ideas? Please let me know, even if your idea doesn't involve 1x1 round bricks.
I'm not completely sure if these will work (I don't own some of the parts), but I found two techniques you could try. :classic:

Technique 1

You could try using the tree top piece and attach three 1 x 1 round bricks to three of the bars (not sure if they will actually fit). The fourth bar could be on the top to act as a targeting sight. You could then add a lightsaber bar to the middle and attach an Exo-Force robot arm to the bar to make a handle. You could also add some Technic bushes to make it thicker.

Technique 2

Using this Technic piece, you could find a way to attach three things to the three axles to look like the barrel of the gun. You could then attach a 2 length axle to the middle and attach a space gun to it.

Hopefully what I suggested makes sense. I wish you good luck on searching for a way to make Zurg's gun! :classic:

Thanks, Pi, but those techniques don't do it for me. Technique 1 is the same as simply sticking the round bricks to the underside of a 2x2 round plate and doesn't look very good. Technique 2 comes close, but the barrels are too far apart, making the gun look ridiculously big. :sceptic:

I'm looking for a solution where each 1x1 round brick touches the other two.

This might be the page you are looking for: ntbricks, although it is based on 4 x 2 Wedge Bricks.

That's the one, I just remembered the wrong piece. :tongue:

thanks Mikey. :thumbup:

Hey folks, I was messing around and discovered that plates are quite secure when placed perpendicular to... um... well, just look:

100_6131.JPG

Is this a known technique? Seems like there's plenty of potential here. Notice in the middle of the structure - with four plates stacked (2x8, 1x8, 1x8, 2x8) the 2x8s exactly fit into the perpendicular plate.

Is this a known technique?

Yes it is. I think TLG themselves now consider it 'illegal' because of too much stress on the bricks.

Hmmm.... I actually never knew that, but I don't think there is a way to use that in an MOC. Someone prove me wrong! :tongue:

I looked for this in Didier Enjary's excellent compilation "The Unofficial LEGO Advanced Building Techniques Guide," but it's not there. (Though this is a kind of opposite technique to ToPLESs - maybe we call it Pants-less :tongue: )

This doesn't have nearly the brick stress of ToPLESs, and when the stud is pointing inward and located between two tubes (as with the upper lime green 1x8s in the pic), the join seems very precise.

Does anybody have that Powerpoint allegedly used internally at LEGO which describes the illegal techniques? I have an old link to the GoogleDoc but now it's restricted.

P.S. No way to use it in a MOC, parteek? For shame! :wink: You can see I already used it to make a microscale Tie Fighter!

P.S. No way to use it in a MOC, parteek? For shame! :wink: You can see I already used it to make a microscale Tie Fighter!

I meant in a big MOC. Small MOCs are forced to use illegal methods :grin:

Hello does anybody have any ideas on how I could make a better gasgano design that looks more like him?

453292-289px_gasganp_large.jpg

I'm planning on making a podracer with a xexto pilot but the version lego made is just ugly. :sadnew: Any ides?

Does anybody have that Powerpoint allegedly used internally at LEGO which describes the illegal techniques? I have an old link to the GoogleDoc but now it's restricted.

Are you thinking of the presentation on Illegal versus Legal builds that Jamie Berard did?

It's linked in the first post of this topic.

It looks official enough :grin:

Hello does anybody have any ideas on how I could make a better gasgano design that looks more like him?

453292-289px_gasganp_large.jpg

I'm planning on making a podracer with a xexto pilot but the version lego made is just ugly. :sadnew: Any ides?

Hmm.....If you have the original white General Grievous, you can use Gasgano's head on it, and perhaps replace the white legs with colored ones, for pants.

Are you thinking of the presentation on Illegal versus Legal builds that Jamie Berard did?

It's linked in the first post of this topic.

It looks official enough :grin:

Thanks KimT - that's it! And not a mention of Pants-lessâ„¢ technique. :laugh:

Thanks KimT - that's it! And not a mention of Pants-lessâ„¢ technique. :laugh:

Heh, what a great name. I'll have to see what I can come up with this "Pantsless" technique myself.

On a side note, does anyone else find it odd how more and more advanced techniques are sneaking into official sets? I swear, they've become far more detailed since I was a child. Even the minifigures are better - no more solid color torsos and plain faces.

Does anybody know how the person who made this wonderful MOC did the round windows :classic:

Looks like black tape with a cut-out.

Hmm.....If you have the original white General Grievous, you can use Gasgano's head on it, and perhaps replace the white legs with colored ones, for pants.

I tried that but Xextos are supposed to more spider-like and not humanoid so it looked kinda odd. :sceptic:

Hm, that could work to make a crude version. Perhaps well enough, problem will be to get the "straights" between the corners down with a lower incline.

But the parts are cheap enough to order some for experimentation. Thanks!

However I still want to know if it's possible to make double curved surfaces with bricks. :classic: