Sign in to follow this  
xwingyoda

TLC shifting production & results

Guys fresh news from our beloved TLC !!!!

1) LEGO Group half year result in line with expectations

"During the first six months of 2005 the LEGO Group managed to recapture market shares in a global toy market that remains under severe pressure. Consumer sales of LEGO products showed a positive trend in all markets

Where's...

3) A new SYSTEM based Pirate theme based on the original but with many new clever and creative innovations

???

Consumer sales of LEGO products showed a positive trend in all markets

A distribution centre in the southern hemisphere would be really nice! Prices here would have to be more expensive than they are anywhere else.

yay lower prices!!! thats wat i want to hear

Let's look a little at the consequenses of that remark.

TLC want lower prices. TLC moves production to countries that means lower costs. That is great for AFOLS!

But let's take it a bit further!

Your Dad looses his job at LEGO meaning that your allowance is lowered (or are zero)

You can't buy any LEGO! Won't get any LEGO at birthdays!

Every time you think "great this is cheep" - jobs are lost in the west!!!!!

Every time you buy a cheep product jobs are created in the East!!!!!

China and India alone have 2 billion people ready to do YOUR work - Are you prepared?

This is a doomsday vision I know but think about it !!!!!!

yay lower prices!!! thats wat i want to hear

Let's look a little at the consequenses of that remark.

TLC want lower prices. TLC moves production to countries that means lower costs. That is great for AFOLS!

But let's take it a bit further!

Your Dad looses his job at LEGO meaning that your allowance is lowered (or are zero)

You can't buy any LEGO! Won't get any LEGO at birthdays!

Every time you think "great this is cheep" - jobs are lost in the west!!!!!

Every time you buy a cheep product jobs are created in the East!!!!!

China and India alone have 2 billion people ready to do YOUR work - Are you prepared?

This is a doomsday vision I know but think about it !!!!!!

well, in this case, john, jobs stay in the european union, but we get your point. however, your point is also just a little bit one sided, after all, the poor asian or indian , who is without a job now, gets a brand new job and will be able to send his kids to school so they get at least one shot in life...

prices can be lowered, btw, by reducing other costs, like getting rid of the airplanes, selling the airport, reducing the number of working hours, without sacking some one...

My daddy aint gonna lose his job no matter LEGO does! He never bought me LEGO anyway. Loss of jobs in Europe only work to my advantage for various reason. Think of all poor Chinese and Indians that could live above the poverty line with these jobs. Yes, they only get paid 5 cents an hour but that's worth a lot more in those countries than anywhere else. These poor Asians don't have a wellfare system like the most of the European countries, so this is a really good opportunity for them to buy new underwear!

Anyway the artical said the European distribution centre will be located in the Czech Republic so that's not going to help the Chinese and Indians unless they move there...

Yes I know that my point is one sided.

Yes I know that the jobs stay in European Union . (For now anyway)

But the fact is that the world is changing!

Jobs are moved East and living standards will be better! That is good! I agree on that. But it has consequenses!

Jobs are lost in the West. And there will be less people to pay for the wellfare system. This situation will not hold for long!

The problem here is not to give something to someone! It is that someone is loosing something!

This could end up in a long discussion about global economics.

But as long as there is difference in the world - changes will happen.

EB found its Michael Moore :D

Just a couple off topics points !!!!

Cheap/child labor in Asia

= less child prosttution, those families live way better !!!!!

= products are now affordable to less fortunate people that could not afford them (NIKE: in the US most Nike consummers could NOT afford those products if it was manufactured in the States !!!!),

Cheaper labor in the Eastern Europe

= huge economic benefits for those people !!!! better salaries, they have more jobs...

Bottom line, we have to think also to their benefits !!!!!! Its a win/win situation

Why do we have to think of their benefits? If these forementioned countries spent less money on their nuclear weapons programs and more on their people they might be far better off anyway. However, I don't have the facts and merely writing that out of ignorance because I can!