25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Excellent!
    • Above average.
    • Average.
    • Below average.
    • Poor.

thindexedgif.gif

I just recently got this amazing pirate set off of eBay, and I am happy I did. It comes with all the pirate accessories a pirate fan may need, and it just plain rocks.

6270 Forbidden Island:

6270-1.jpg

The picture depicts the set very well. It shows every feature, from the cannon to British Solider to monkey. I like this picture a great deal.

Set Information:

Name:Forbidden Island

Number:6270

Theme:Pirates

Year:1989

Pieces:176

Minifigs:4

Price?

Peeron.com

My Brickshelf (when moderated)

Island:

The island is well designed, and looks like my idea of a pirate fort. The only problem is that half of the jail cell, and the stairs leading up to the bridge, are in water. That isn't a major problem though, and can be overlooked easily.

Overview

fi003.jpg

The minifigs are placed like they are on the box, or as close to as I can. See if you can find the thing that doesn't belong in this picture, or the picture below:

The Picture Below

fi002.jpg

Now my Easter egg is obvious, please don't miss it. This is a good view of the British Solider, and the cannon. The cannon is very neat, but sadly, I have a non-firing one. :pir_bawling: The bridge is also a nice piece, as are the TWO jail doors included in this set. Yes, two jail doors. It's awesome.

Crows Nest

fi004.jpg

The crows nest is basically like one found on a pirate ship. This makes it a great way to get rigging, and a crows nest for a pirate ship. I like how you can have a sword fight staged between minifigs on the rigging. :jollyroger:

Stairs

fi005.jpg

The stairs lead to the water, which is my only problem with them. The flag is great, and it is on a wooden lance piece, attached to a flag. I like how the flag looks, the cliche symbol for all pirates, the jolly roger.

Minifigs and Accessories

This set comes with 4 minifigs, a monkey, a parrot, a shark, a boat, a chest with 8 chrome gold coins, and a cannon. I think that this set has a great amount of accessories.

Everything

fi010.jpg

Here you can see everything I just mentioned, which I will go into detail about in a second.

Minifigs

fi012.jpg

The minifigures are great in this set. The only problem I have is that the British Solider has a standard grin, while everyone else has a cool pirate face. :pir-hmpf_bad::imperialguard_commander1::pir-sceptic: I would have prefered him to have a non standard grin head, but it still is a nice figure. There are 2 different epaulets, a brown one on Captain Redbeard, and a pair of red ones on the British Solider. The Solider also comes with a backpack, and an awesome Shako. This set also comes with 2 flintlock pistols and 2 flintlock rifles, and 4 sabers. The parrot, shark, and monkey are also great bonuses.

Accessories

fi013.jpg

The accessories are great, the rowboat comes with 2 paddles. You wouldn't want to be up a river with no no paddles would you? The treasure chest and 8 chrome coins are also great, the booty would make a king envious. The cannon is great, and it is on wheels so the pirates can take the butt kicking to other places, if they can get it off of the island. The accessories are overall very well designed.

Conclusion

This set is great, and it deserves a gold medal in the 4x100. It seriously is that good.

Design:9/10, the only design flaw is that the stairs lead into the water.

Playbillity:10/10, there are many scenarios you could with using only this set.

Parts:9/10, the set comes with a nice stash of parts, but it doesn't have a lot of parts, especially for $30 on eBay.

Minifigs:10/10, There isn't a thing wrong with the pirates.

Total:38/40

Your right about the stairs :pir-classic:

I got this set for my birthday once, i have all the sets of the first solider/pirate lines.

I like it more then the later pirate nests, this one has loads of playability.

We could use 1 or 2 more minifigs for this set, also in regard to the release price wich used to be around 35euros if I remember right... (50 USD)

Thanks for the great review. I never really considered this set until now. There are a lot of usable pieces in this set for ships and forts. I will have to search for this on eBay.

Tony

Your right about the stairs :pir-classic:

I got this set for my birthday once, i have all the sets of the first solider/pirate lines.

I like it more then the later pirate nests, this one has loads of playability.

We could use 1 or 2 more minifigs for this set, also in regard to the release price wich used to be around 35euros if I remember right... (50 USD)

$50 for under 200 pieces? Sure there are a lot of big pieces, but that seems overpriced.

The set is a lot better than later pirate bases.

$50 for under 200 pieces? Sure there are a lot of big pieces, but that seems overpriced.

The set is a lot better than later pirate bases.

Actually this has another reason: I paid it (i think around) 1400 belgium francs, which equals to about 35 euros nowadays and 35 euros are NOW worth about 50 USD,

BUT: in those days the dollar was a lot stronger and 1400 belgium francs in that time were not worth more then, lets say, the euro is worth now (probably even less).

CONCLUSION:

In THOSE DAYS it would have only costed 30-35 USD instead of 50 USD, what it would cost if bought now,

Sorry for the mistake. (Damn euro and its stupid exchange rates :pir_laugh2: )

A great review for a great set, Manta! But I´m surprised noone have mentiioned the Stormtrooper yet... :hmpf:

Nice review. Did this review pass through the Reviewers Academy?

I passed through on 3 different reviews.

I passed through on 3 different reviews.

Congratulaions with your Bronze star.

I think if you keep this up the silver and gold will follow smoothly

Nice set to have, but a bit expensive to buy. It's quite a simple set with not too much bricks in it.

I have problems with the stairs and the jail door in the water as well. But I think it's well playable and detailed who makes it a nice set.

I like the crow's nest and the bridge the most. If I may: I give it a 7 on a scale from 1-10 :pir-blush:

I don't have this set and i can't say the design appeals to me much.

It does contain some great parts and figs, therefore i would not mind getting one :pir-grin:

I've added a poll so we can rate it. :pir-wink:

Great review Manta, keep 'm coming! :thumbup:

It does contain some great parts and figs, therefore i would not mind getting one :pir-grin:

I wouldnt mind you getting me one either...

Great review Manta, keep 'm coming! :thumbup:

Yup, this was a good review but I already said that.

I have just done a review about the Imperial Flagship of the Imperial Guards.

My next one (weekend) will be the Skulls Eye Schooner.

And I also plan to rebuild and review the Imperial Flagship of the Imperial Soldiers, the bluecoaties, that is.

Very nice set. I'm happy I've got it for Saint-Nicolas in 1991. The baseplate is also great.