On a scale of 1 to 5  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Hello everyone! Last christmas was when I recieved this amazing set, and now I am going to review it.

Name: Holiday Train

Number: 10173

Pieces: Unknown

Released: Seasonal

Availability: Not Available

The box:

Front

2885618827_3b6654990f_o.png

This thing's box is HUGE! It is very long, and although it is short in length, it is about 2 1/2 minifigs deep! And it is filled with parts. It is larger than my studio as well. :laugh: I realy need to get my new one up and running.

A side view showing the figs pics.

2886462646_07132a5b39_o.png

Back of the box:

2885626823_9e792e4f26_o.png

I really like these scenes. :thumbup:

Another back of the box image:

2885627385_497789b37a_o.png

Manuals:

2886464156_12382c93f0_o.png

There are two in this set. The first one is 60 pages and book 2 is 50.

Random image:

2885628331_7627b37da0_o.png

Figs:

2886464960_cd8af35e94_o.png

What a group of figs! The conductor is fun and has a really nice red scarf. The two ticket guys are awesome, especialy the dark red caps. The other figs are a woman, a boy, steven steelburg with a classic space jacket, and a scary looking man. :shock:

Stay tuned, as I will later post part 2, the set!

Enjoy,

VBBN

It's a bit shabby, but part 2 wil detail the set heavily. :sweet:

I was waiting for this to come. Im glad it did. I should have gotten it when I had a chance, but I dont like trains to much anyway...

I was waiting for this to come. Im glad it did. I should have gotten it when I had a chance, but I dont like trains to much anyway...

For what? The set or review? And you will find that this set can spark your interest.

Poll added. :classic:

Nice start to the review.

I have this set and definatley enjoyed building it. I never planned to buy even a single train, but when this and Hobby train went on sale for half off at Shop at Home I couldn't resist. Thank heaven I got in before they completely discontinued 9V.

As your pictures show, it has a really nice selection of minfigs and accessories filling up a charming set of train cars. My cousins love seeing it around the Christmas tree. It's also a great set to rebuild in different colors.

VBBN, why did you want to do this review? :hmpf:

You are going to make me feel regret, for passed out this set last year xmas when it is selling for half price, especially after reading your review. Nevertheless, I always wanted to find out more of this train. The reason why I passed out, because I don't owned any train sets or train tracks. In addition, there is no engine included. I think that is the reasons why I did not get it in the first place. :sadnew:

I am looking forward to this complete review of yours. :classic:

I miss connecting rods by this steamengine. Take one guess what a 12v freak would do with this train :grin: :

i_-_waiting_for_christmas.jpg_thumb.jpg

Exactly, I modify it for 12v. Only I had to make the steamengine 2 studs longer. Can also be 4, I don't remember it anymore. Nice review.

Edited by AFOL12v

@VBBN, nice start indeed with a nice set. B.t.w. the one with the scarf is the engineer :classic:

This is a really great set, from which i always wanted to see more detailed pictures. Wish TLG would make more such detailed trains instead the new passenger trains with lots of big pieces. :sceptic: Looking forward to the next part, looks very good so far! :thumbup:

This is a nice set, thanks for the review. I too bought this at half price on S@H around last Christmas. It was my very first train. I bought some of the plain track for it to run on (9V seems a nice idea but it is too expensive).

The selection of minifigs is nice, it's got good train parts, and nice extras like the three pine trees, animals, etc. It was a fun train to build and display during the Christmas holidays. Quite festive :)

I hope the new train system (2009?) is sensible and I can motorise this train for it relatively cheaply and easily (or whatever else I build from it).

Glad everyone like the review so far. In a short while I will photoshoot the images and resize them tonight. I will post the review tomorrow night in a seperate thread labeled Part 2.

I'm not really a train guy, but I liked this set. (I didn't bought it)

The old fashioned feel makes it very nice.

and only the cast of figs is already good.

2 dark red 80ies caps, some not so common faces and torso's and even black Hermiony Hair.

If they put the figs in a citizen battle pack without the train, I would buy it.

Edited by Wout

Argh! Thank you very much for drilling a hole in my heart! :hmpf_bad:

I remember this fantastic set selling half price last year but unfortunately I wasn´t fast enough to get it.

So the only thing I can do I watching these pics and crying into my pillow... :cry_sad:

My vote: Above average (4) :thumbup:

I voted above average. I find the locomotive is a bit too small. It could be longer. Anyway, I like the colour scheme of the train very much. I didn't get it half price off. I bought it for the orginal price. :hmpf: But I'm happy to own one! It's a pity that the 9V motor was not included.

2164797207_354538c3b0.jpg

The locomotive is a bit small, I'll agree, but it's still an awesome set. :grin: My favorite part is the gondola car with all the presents, the passenger car looks little off, but I can't complain about much.

--Tony

Hey hey, theres VBBN with our review!

As a wrap up, here is the first part of the Holiday train review (link). I covered the box, instructions, and minifigures. Now it's time for the really good stuff. :classic:

Part 1/Engine

Overview:

2893157076_22785a4c22_o.png

The engine consists of 2 parts. The main engine and the wood stock car. As you can see here, they flow nicely together and have a consistent color scheme. The use of the large slopes makes it look like they were one car.

Engine:

2892319143_f9dc0a5504_o.png

Here we have the main engine. The detailing is simply outstanding, especialy around the sides. I love how the "trunk" of the engine has the rounded cylinder It look very clean and has a very nice flow.

Back:

2893157692_ece2d8fe47_o.png

The back of the engine is open, but that is so the enginner can get to the wood stock. There is one detail that I like alot about this car. Can you spot it?

Detail:

2892319781_ef9a689836_o.png

Yep, that flap opens up to reval a furnace. Sadly, the woodstock doesn't fit in it. It is still nice that TLC put th effort in to it. :sweet:

Wood Stock Car:

2892320071_d00b25eb9b_o.png

Now I'm no expert on trains, but don't trains run on coal, not wood stock and rats? Either way, this small little car follows a similar design as the engine. Under the thing with the "valve" is simply open space.

Back:

2892320449_97d6faf15c_o.png

Nothing much. A few cool details.

Wood Stock:

2892320753_abc1706143_o.png

One nifty little thing is that it includes some clips for the engineer's tools such as his shovel.

Part 2/Passenger Car

Overview:

2892321059_6f975048aa_o.png

Now the passenger car is probably my favorite part of the set. It has a clean look, and resembles one of my dad's classic model train cars.

Detail:

2892321385_909f610315_o.png

It may be alittle hard to see from this pic, but the detailing in this railing is simply beautiful. And this car has two white doors. What more could you want?

Roof Open:

2893159932_b7cbcee4cc_o.png

In order to keep the doors in place, only the middle secion comes off. However, you can take off the other two panes, but it is connected by a few studs.

Sides off:

2892321975_0c3387ee9a_o.png

I thought this looked cool, so enjoy.

Part 3/Goodie Car!

Overview:

2893160556_31019ff503_o.png

One of the coolest things of this set is the goodie car. So, what's in it?

THE GOODIES!!

2892322615_769902d572_o.png

Look at all of that. Lots of envelopes. And I am missing a wheel on my skateboard. Forgot to put it back on. Like the trans stud on the front od the 3-wheeler bike? Sorry, but I put that on. The set doesn't include one.

The car.

2893161098_0767ee1b00_o.png

Nothing much to comment on here.

Part 4/Tree Car

Overview:

2892323309_97f917aa4a_o.png

Lot's of clips and poles come with this car. And I like it. Very solid and well constructed.

Seperated:

2892323655_242507d912_o.png

Part 5/Caboose

Overview:

2893162056_39abcf5669_o.png

The caboose looks pretty nice. You can see the roof details and some other little things that make the detail stand out in this set.

Back:

2893162430_26dca114b1_o.png

The back looks really cool in this shot. And once again the railing has beautiful detailing.

Open:

2893162780_abf0d849cd_o.png

There are two problems with this car.

1)No way to open it up fully without pulling the whole roof off.

2)No interior. Just open.

However, it does have doors and can hold lots of figs.

Overall:

2893163134_2fe127e638_o.png

The complete set is stunning. The only downfall for me is that I don't have any track for it. :cry_sad: And track is kind of costly... :sceptic:

And here we have a size comparison to the new gunship:

2893163514_9db47683d3_o.png

--------------------------

So, what are my thoughts on the set?

It is amazing. The details, parts, figs, everything. And their are only a few flaws. N track was included, but I belive their was a set that included it, and the lack of interior in a few cars. Pther than that, I give this set a "5," Outstanding. :thumbup:

So my friends, I leave you to bask in this holiday goodness. Drop by your comments, and if you have any pic requests, just ask! Enjoy!

Edited by ~VBBN~

Great review VBBN! :thumbup: I :wub: this set! It is GIGANTIC! I never thought that it was that big..... :look:

Lego12

Very nice review; I must agree with you, that goodie cart contains some great goodies! Someone is going to be very happy on Christmas...

Mind you, you'd that the presents would be protected from the elements.......

These well created large sets are seldom released, therefore it always is such a pleasure reading a review about them.

I will not buy it because they cost a lot and I am using all of my budget to buy pirate Lego; and to save some for the new releases... :wink:

Your review is very extensive with loads of good pics and enough info: therefore:thumbup: :thumbup::thumbup:

great review in 2 parts , I love this set :wub: a really amazing set !

Nice review, pretty thorough. Just FYI, steam engines can technically run on anything that burns - from coal, to wood, to oil and natural gas. Many of the early steam engines ran on wood simply because wood is plentiful almost everywhere, so if you ran out of fuel it was easy to get more. Of course certain adjustments must be made to run on liquid or liquefied gas fuel, but the only thing that's important is that the water gets hot enough fast enough to turn to enough steam.

--Tony

Great review VBBN! :thumbup: I :wub: this set! It is GIGANTIC! I never thought that it was that big..... :look:

Lego12

Thanks! And I didn't think it was that big either, but when it was finished, it was huge. Now to see how big the Eiffel Tower is when I get it... :cry_happy::thumbup:

Very nice review; I must agree with you, that goodie cart contains some great goodies! Someone is going to be very happy on Christmas...

Mind you, you'd that the presents would be protected from the elements.......

Thanks! And perhaps they have raincoat wrapping? Nothing to be said about the envelops and animals though... :tongue:

These well created large sets are seldom released, therefore it always is such a pleasure reading a review about them.

I will not buy it because they cost a lot and I am using all of my budget to buy pirate Lego; and to save some for the new releases... :wink:

Your review is very extensive with loads of good pics and enough info: therefore :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks! Three thumbups hm? Interesting, a member giving passing academy rating to me.. :laugh:

great review in 2 parts , I love this set :wub: a really amazing set !

Not a problem. :sweet:

Nice review, pretty thorough. Just FYI, steam engines can technically run on anything that burns - from coal, to wood, to oil and natural gas. Many of the early steam engines ran on wood simply because wood is plentiful almost everywhere, so if you ran out of fuel it was easy to get more. Of course certain adjustments must be made to run on liquid or liquefied gas fuel, but the only thing that's important is that the water gets hot enough fast enough to turn to enough steam.

--Tony

Ah, thanks for the info. Now I get it. :classic:

Great review; I thought about buying and using this set around the tree last year but opted for the Futuron Monorail instead.

As Tony said, Steam Engines can use a variety of fuel. The car behind the engine (what you call the "Wood Stock" car) is called the Tender. The tender is what hauls the locomotive's fuel--both stuff to burn (usually coal, but earlier times used wood, and later ones used oil) and often extra water (you can't make steam without water!

I think the set was indeed available together with a "Starter Kit" that included track and a speed regulator...

Edited by Cameron_Talley

Great review! :thumbup: You have indeed make me felt regret back then, to pass out this set last year. Now, I have a good look on what this set is all about. The gifts, carriages, and its overall look are very nice, not to pass out. I felt that the down part of this set, is the lack of engine. Other than that, I think it's great. :sweet: