• Below Average
    • Poor

8293 Power Functions Motor Set

Theme: Technic

Released: 2008

Price: 30 USD

Pieces: 14

Introduction:

There has been a long debate whether 8293 had a new "small" motor or not. Unfortunately we don't get a small motor and its existence remains a mystery. Now let's take a look at what we actually get.

We don't have instructions, instead we get a little poster showing which sets can be motorized with 8293:

We used to get parts & instructions for small gadgets in motor packs, we don't any more.

00.jpg

Parts come in five polybags:

One for each electric element plus one for other small parts.

01.jpg

The light unit doesn't have a strong flash but doesn't consume too much energy:

There is a black block in the middle of the cord same size as a 2x2 brick and the light up part of the unit is the same size as a pin.

02.jpg

Clutch gear is always necessary with fast speed motors:

TLG changed the color scheme of gears this year. We now get tan, black and dark bley gears instead of light bleys. Variety is always nice.

03.jpg

The new 3-stud long universal joint is the most interesting part of the year if you ask me:

The 4-stud long universal joint doesn't actually come with the set, I pictured it for comparison.

04.jpg

We haven't had a pole reverser for years:

There is only one socket for input/output unlike the older pole reverser and the cord length is not adjustable since the cord comes attached.

05.jpg

We already have tens of Power Functions battery boxes and medium motors from other sets:

But it wouldn't be a motor pack without them.

06.jpg

Folder when public:

Brickshelf

Rating:

-Figures: 0/0 No figures in this set.

-Parts: 8/10 We don't get many small parts unlike the older motor packs but have new PF elements instead.

-Price: 8/10 30 USD is just fine for all the electric parts we get.

-Design: 7/10 Even though PF theme is a great step in eletric parts, I don't like the unadjustable cord system. It should have been designed better.

-Building: 0/0 Nothing to build in this set.

-Total: 23/30 A nice starter pack for Power Functions.

Conclusion:

If you haven't got the 8297 Off Roader, it's a must buy. We don't get the pole reverser and the light unit from any other set - not counting Vestas promo. Besides I'm sure many Technic fans have been waiting for the new universal joint which we get 3 with this set. Buy with confidence.

Links:

Brickset Reviews

Bricklink Entry

Peeron Inventory

The PF set adds a lot to the playability of the 8294 evacuator set. I built mine today and added the PF set. Makes it much more fun to play with.

Overall I would rate the PF set a 7/10. I think it could do with an extension cord or more gears in different sizes. But it is good value.

This set looks like it's worth picking up. I like how they have brought back the motorizing instructions with the current Technic lineup and positioned this set as an addon pack. It would have been nice if the set also included an XL motor for a slightly higher price though.

The new u-joints look very useful and I can think of several places where those would work much better than the bulky older ones.

The gear color change is a good thing in some ways. I can easily mix those with the older light gray (not blay) gears in my spare parts collection without having any source of confusion. :tongue:

A fine review of a very useful set - technicwise that is.

It's good to be shown the possibilities within the rather new range of technic power units.

Thanks

Cool, but what do these things actually do, and how good are they at doing that? I don't know much about electric Lego elements. :tongue:

:skull:

You're kidding, right? The motor spins, which when connected to other stuff makes that go round as well, while the LEDs light up. The pole-reverser's sole function is to change the direction of current, making the motor spin the opposite direction.

IMO, I'm glad they didn't include the XL-motor, because that beast isn't as straightforward as the M-motor. Other than half the rpms, it's got more than twice the torque of the "M"- and is known to break axles and gears if you don't use it correctly.

You're kidding, right?

Nope. :tongue:

The motor spins, which when connected to other stuff makes that go round as well, while the LEDs light up. The pole-reverser's sole function is to change the direction of current, making the motor spin the opposite direction.

Well, I knew about the motor and LED but couldn't remember from long ago Science lessons about the pole reverser, thanks for telling me. Umm, I know they're not exactly electrical, but what are the hinges like, and why are they in this set? Just floppy things that will allow bits to move when the motor moves them? They look it. :look:

:skull:

IMO, I'm glad they didn't include the XL-motor, because that beast isn't as straightforward as the M-motor. Other than half the rpms, it's got more than twice the torque of the "M"- and is known to break axles and gears if you don't use it correctly.

Well, you can do that with the medium motor too if you gear it down enough. The XL motor is much closer to the 9V black/red one that was in the previous motor pack.

By the way, what happens if you reverse the polarity on these lights? Are they always steadily on or do they flash in some way, like the older 9V lights?

I am pleased that we now have the option to power the models if we so wish, I do hope that we see the pole reverser and the lights for sale seperately like the other PF components. I think this will be likely next year when the PF trains come along?

Paul

I just love this set. And yes, I am a Technic fan :)

I have bought one of this set, and may get another one later.

The light is realy nice, I have one from this set and one from the Offroader. They are not as bright as I wish they was, but they make an nice effect to a MOC. And since they are made of Light emmitting diodes they dont use much power like the old electric bulb from the old sets. This could probably stay on for many hours on one batterypack. Should be interesting to see if someone actually testet how long they could last (nice to know for exhibition and events).

The motor is ofcourse good and as Freddie said, it is a good thing they did not include the bulky XL-engine.

The pole switch is made good. It was a nice feature that they made it possible to connect an axle to the side of the switch, it could then be controled from gears and/or other levers.

And I had just today discovered that the new 3-stud long universal joints that came in this set. They make it a lot easyer to connect to the new items like PF Linear Actuator that have a special mounting bracket.

And for they who don't understand the use of this universal joints: they are realy nice to use on rotating axles that you also want to bend when rotating. Think of the axle from the engine on a car and how to transfer that rotating axle to a differential that moves up and down with the supension on a car. That is just one of the many uses. Another is like I mentioned above; for the linear actuator that would move slightly in constructions like the excavator where two of this is used.

The negative side of the parts in this set is:

- not bright enough LED's

- the light is difficult to fasten or to connect to a brick, works only on studless beams (mostly) and it does not sit as firm as I would like

- the power leads on every electrical component is too short. I like to build large constructions.

- there should have been an adaptercable for the old 9v system to this. I first thoght that the 2x2 black brick on the lights was this type of connector, but it is just to split the leads and probably contains a resistor for the LED's too.

- there should have been an adaptercable for the old 9v system to this. I first thoght that the 2x2 black brick on the lights was this type of connector, but it is just to split the leads and probably contains a resistor for the LED's too.

The extension cable sold on S@H also serves as an adapter to the 9V system. You can use most of the PF and 9V elements together using that cable.

I might be able to use the pole reverser for motorized track switches. why Lego hasn't done this in almost 20 years is beyond me.

This was asked before, but if you switch polarity will the lights flicker?

I just tried it for you Thomas and unfortunately it does. That was a vital point for the review, I don't know how I missed it, sorry !

I just tried it for you Thomas and unfortunately it does. That was a vital point for the review, I don't know how I missed it, sorry !

What do you mean?

My lights do not flicker (a.k.a. start blinking like the old bulbs) when I switch the polarity. The lights just stay on, so it is not possible to make flashing warning lights on a policecar or something. It is pretty much like the old train lights.

What do you mean?

My lights do not flicker (a.k.a. start blinking like the old bulbs) when I switch the polarity. The lights just stay on, so it is not possible to make flashing warning lights on a policecar or something. It is pretty much like the old train lights.

Yes it does, here's proof for those unbelievers :) Sorry for the quality, that's the best I could do in 15 minutes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_olxvXZHUbc

Very funny cagri :tongue:

It is a shame that it doesn't flicker when changing the polarity like the old 9V lights before the ones used in trains.

The LEDs are, however, quite good light sources compared to the old lights and consume much less energy!

I have just added 3 of these sets to a PF-powered creation where I can adjust the voltage, and the LEDs light up pretty well even on the lowest PF-voltage (1 of 7). Unfortunately it doesn't flicker even there (the lower power outputs are made by flickering the power really quickly from the RC-unit).

I am planning on getting 11 of these sets for the LEDs alone. Quite an expense, but to get more Vestas power plants or 4WDs will be even crazier!

Thanks for the overview. I'm sure it answers a lot of questions about these new components.

Do you have links to this? Ive been playing around with PF's for the past month... it's my first time playing around with electrical Lego parts ever. I've had a lot of fun, but I don't see the XL engines breaking anything. I have a chassis I threw together that has 2 XL motors driving two axles using a total of 3 6L axles, and 6 gears. 1 axle is running between the two motors with a pole reverser on 1 motor so they both spin the same direction. I used differentials pirated from 2 Power Miners sets to drive the axles with a 6L axle running between them.

The only issue I've had with it is lots and lots wheel spin, because I geared it for speed as opposed to torque.