JopieK

Review: 7036 Dwarves' Mine

indexed.gif

Name: Dwarves' Mine

Number: 7036

Theme: Castle

Year: 2007

Pieces: 575

Minfigs: 6 plus a large troll (8cm tall)

Price: EUR 54,95€ / USD 59,99$ / GBP 39,99£

Special parts:

The green 3 x 2 doors (2 left and 2 right)

The brown 1 x 2 bricks on the carts as well (they are at least not very common on bricklink)

Quite a lot of nice 1 x 1 sloped tiles.

According to bricklink, the set can have either 3730 or the new 63082 "Black Plate, Modified 2 x 2 with Towball Socket" our sets all had the new one.

The most expensive item on Bricklink is the Troll (average new price of $11.54)

Introduction:

Although we almost never buy Castle sets, the Dwarves' Mine was an exception. We bought 2 for ourselves and 1 for the review so now we have 3 of them. We are planning some narrow gauge railroad project and like the small cars very much, so that is why.

Anyway. The set is quite nice, so let's see just how nice!

00Box.JPG

First let's start with the huge box. It's quite nice with and gives a good impression of the set.

01BoxBack.JPG

The back side of the box is also quite impressive with some humorous scenes as well :)

01Instructions.JPG

There are two booklets included. The set is quite easy to build due to the good instructions that are in the booklets.

02Bags.JPG

Not only air but a heap of bags was found inside the box.

03Figures.JPG

Our family of trolls and dwarves saying "cheese" for the photo guy.

04Troll.JPG

The troll is quite large. We have seen it before but then in green. It has horns at his back and on his head (ears I guess).

05Tools1.JPG

A nice variety of tools, weapons and utensil. LEGO was quite generous in this set.

06MiningCars.jpg

The mining cars: narrow gauge, four studs wide. They used the old 12V era tracks but then without the beam openings just like in the harbour sets etc. 4 Metallic Silver Rocks and 4 Metallic Gold Rocks are included to make nicely filled-up carts.

07MainTower.jpg

First we build the main tower. It is quite large and rocky. A throne for the dwarves' king.

08CraneTower.JPG

Next, the crane tower that goes to the right of the main tower. It is connected with technic pins. A large wheel is used to hoist the heavy buckets with produce.

Note: there was a mistake in the instructions the "Reddish Brown Technic Connector Hub with 4 Bars" was reversed in one of the drawings (and can only fit one way).

08MainCraneTowers.jpg

The combined towers. Already 2/3 of the mine is completed!

09LeftTower.JPG

Then the left tower. Here it still looks quite empty but that will soon change as it gets a sliding slope to let the produce fall down and a connection to the 'cable car' system. The furnace and the barrel with a drumstick are nice details, as is the table with the cup.

10Catapult.JPG

There is a catapult as a large defense system (to knock out the large troll?!) The wheels give it a nice tought they are not very useful.

11MountedCatapult.JPG

The catapult is mounted on the left tower.

14BlackSmithDwarf.JPG

There is a blacksmith working in front of the mine. Too bad that he doesn't have a fireplace (the one inside is too far away). His huge mallet and of course his anvil are really nice!!!

15KingDwarf.JPG

The dwarves' king is no good at all. He just sits in his throne (actually stands since the small legs can't really bend) enjoying his spirits and jewels.

16Transport.JPG

The mine has a very special transportation system.

17Transport2.JPG

Another look at the transportation system. Not too realistic, but nice for children.

18Unloading.JPG

The minerals or metals can also be put in the carts with a nice system.

19Coals.JPG

This is quite strange, those 'coals' on top of that LURP (Large Ugly Rock Piece for the people that don't know the acronym).

20Leftovers.JPG

There were some parts left after building. I checked but couldn't find where they would need to go.

21Overview.JPG

The finished mine in all its' glory.

Just after taking all important pictures, my large troll just got naughty. After behaving so civilized in the figures' photo shoot he suddenly went for it!!!

12OohwNo1.JPG

The troll grabbed one of the dwarfs rocked it really hard ;) The other dwarf got a headache by a blow that was so hard that the helmet almost crushed, and now the dwarf is even shorter.

13OohwNo2.JPG

Aah, maybe the troll was just greedy and just wanted the money. Too bad LEGO didn't put those coins in the set :)

Hope you enjoyed the review and have a better insight in this set now!

Parting it at bricklink (average for sale price) makes it $129.72 so that shows that the set indeed has very nice parts I guess!

This set can be found on:

Peeron

Lugnet

Brickset

Bricklink entries

Playability: 10/10 (Children can play a lot with it. The amount of figures, the transportation systems etc are really making it almost perfect!)

Design: 7/10 (Nice set but a not really realistic design I'm afraid)

Price: 8/10 (I got mine for 45€ and parting them for $129.72 should say a lot.)

Overall: 8/10 (nice set, even for non-Castle people like us)

N.b. I share the LEGO hobby with my brother and cousin, that is why I generally use plural forms :)

Edited by JopieK

Wow, I thought this was an academy review. :laugh:

Nice review. You have a few pic problems though.

I love this set. So many awesome parts...

Edited by ~VBBN~

Nice review. You have a few pic problems though.

I love this set. So many awesome parts...

I agree, very hard to take pictures of this set. It is just too large :s Try to improve some.

Update: at least fixed the most obvious ones. Even with lightcube and diffuser on external flash still hard to get both no reflection and a nice color tone.

Edited by JopieK

I really like this set, but too make it look really nice, you have too build a mountain :/

I really like this set, but too make it look really nice, you have too build a mountain :/

Well just like last year we plan to build one again for LEGOWorld 2008 (Zwolle, Netherlands), but since we have 3 of these sets now we can combine some parts ;)

Very nice and detailed review! I just picked one of these up this past weekend, and I love it!

You really capture the good points well. :thumbup:

thanks for the review, but i've got 2 things to say: First, the part about beeing realistic or not..think about that this is a DWARVE'S Mine, so realistic is a contradiction in itself. :tongue: And the second thing is, you put on all the beards with the backside on the front. :laugh:

thanks for the review, but i've got 2 things to say: First, the part about beeing realistic or not..think about that this is a DWARVE'S Mine, so realistic is a contradiction in itself. :tongue: And the second thing is, you put on all the beards with the backside on the front. :laugh:

Oohw whoops, too much Erdinger I guess :hmpf_bad: Of course it is not real but I was talking about the mechanical features I think, or wasn't I ... wait I can't remember... Those evil dwarfs got me drunk as well...

Thanks for this delightful review!

I've enjoyed seeing some details pictures of this nice set.

Unfortunately it's not part of my collection. And with the new pirate sets it probably will never be in my possession.

But I'm getting one of those dwarves beards with the advent calender soon :sweet:

ah i remember having this set in my arms while on the bus .i couldnt wait to build it but after a week i was actually kinda disapointed.anyways thanks for a great reveiw

Thanks for the nice review. I wish I would have gotten this set (it's not still available, is it?). The mine cart and track were nice, as well as the gold and silver rocks. I didn't even know TLG made beards like that (I am so out of it when it comes to Castle... :hmpf:). The amount and variety of weapons and tools was great. :thumbup:

Thanks for the nice review. I wish I would have gotten this set (it's not still available, is it?). The mine cart and track were nice, as well as the gold and silver rocks. I didn't even know TLG made beards like that (I am so out of it when it comes to Castle... :hmpf:). The amount and variety of weapons and tools was great. :thumbup:

It is still available. If you can't find it in a store, then try LEGO's online shop (http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=7036) or another online retailer.

And thank you for the review. Nice to have another review for one of Castle's larger sets.

Edited by dj2005

Good Review JopieK! I personally love this set and rebuilt it a few times. My 3 year old also loves the train tracks and carts.

This was the set that got me back into Castle. :thumbup:

Perfect set! I enjoyed playing my dwarves' mine very much. In fact, this is my favourite castle set in 2008. I bought multiple sets for its dwarves, troll, orcs, mine cart, tracks, ores, and etc. It offer high playability from digging the ores to transporting down to the blacksmith. Great set! :thumbup:

Excellent review! You've pointed out all the good parts of this set and I think this is one of the best (castle) sets LEGO has ever made!

Thanks for this great review of an even greater Castle Set.

It's nice to have it "on-site" again :grin:

Did some of the picture links "die" or is it just me?

Yes, indeed some are. A small blanc space does point out they have to be there...

Heeeeey! JopieK please fix the pics :sadnew:

oohw whoops, sorry guys, the server is case sensitive and some pics had 'jpg' instead of 'JPG' as their extension. Maybe next time a PM is quicker.

oohw whoops, sorry guys, the server is case sensitive and some pics had 'jpg' instead of 'JPG' as their extension. Maybe next time a PM is quicker.

Probably :blush: But where's the fun in that? :grin:

Thanks for fixing those precious pics.

I am truly amazed at your picture skills :thumbup:

I own 2 of these fantastic mines and if anyone's considering to buy this, then by all means do so.

Skip buying anything...even Star Wars and get this fantastic set.

Thanks for the great review JopieK!

I got this set last week and I must say that it is an amazing set. :thumbup: It has many many great features and is very well designed.

The minifigs are excellent. I love the giant troll and the dwarves are really cute. Plus the mine carts look great with a really unique build.

Great review of a great set! :classic:

I own 2 of these fantastic mines and if anyone's considering to buy this, then by all means do so.

Skip buying anything...even Star Wars and get this fantastic set.

Would you recommend it over Castle Siege? I am looking for a base for my Crownies and overall a good set to have them battle the trolls/skeletons. I'm thinking this set may be too small, but I just love the minifigs and all the goodies. I can't justify splurging and buying both sets, at least for now, so this is a difficult choice for me.

Would you recommend it over Castle Siege? I am looking for a base for my Crownies and overall a good set to have them battle the trolls/skeletons. I'm thinking this set may be too small, but I just love the minifigs and all the goodies. I can't justify splurging and buying both sets, at least for now, so this is a difficult choice for me.

That's a difficult question.

They're close to a tie.

If I had to choose....then I'll go for the King's Castle Siege, simply because it's bigger and the parts allow more diversity when MOCing.

Luckily I didn't have to choose between them. I got'em both - only 1 castle siege though :grin:

That's a difficult question.

They're close to a tie.

If I had to choose....then I'll go for the King's Castle Siege, simply because it's bigger and the parts allow more diversity when MOCing.

Luckily I didn't have to choose between them. I got'em both - only 1 castle siege though :grin:

Yes, damn TLC for designing two really nice sets! :tongue: I am tending to agree with you on both accounts (size and parts). Also, I love to add on to sets and the Castle Siege has plenty of areas that can be molded into new forms, as well as giving the owner a big empty courtyard. Perhaps I will just purchase both. :classic:

Reviews such as this one really help make buying LEGO sets easier as it is normally very hard to judge a set by just a few favorable pictures. I was expecting the Mine to be a bit larger in terms of baseplate size.

Edited by dj2005