Sign in to follow this  
Dragonator

Mystery Castle - Behind the Scenes

Ladies and Gentlemen, today I would like to welcome you to a special episode of Mystery Castle, where we will look back at all the many scenes you came to both love and hate.

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing the scenes as they were when built. These are much like sound stages, and so are very rough around the edges, especially since I had to build some of them in a matter of hours. I know that next season I'll definitely be preparing the scenery in advance! :laugh: Anyway, let's have a look shall we...

The Dead King

p1050206.jpg

This was the small vignette that opened the game way back in day 1. I would have liked to have built the whole bedroom, but time was the problem. Anyway, this offered some hints into how exactly the king died. Two things to be noted are that the King's skull head was metaphorical not literal, and the chicken leg is supposedly a fish. Not quite sure what Calvin thought he caught there... :grin:

The Courtyard

p1050245.jpg

Day 2 saw the death of Lord Martin, and he was hung out in the castle courtyard. We see here the twin Dragon statues that are a feature in a lot of Dragon Masters Kingdom architecture, as well as some of the nice castle gardens. I had to use a lot of larger castle pieces for this one, mainly again because of time. Man I hate that thing! Anyway, I thought this one turned out all right.

The Kitchen Courtyard

p1050299.jpg

This particular spot saw a fair bit of action. At the beginning of Day 3, it was here that young Daniel was crushed by a potato cart, and the Friar was brutally attacked. Then, in day 4, Mike was brutally attacked here.

The Corridor

p1050343.jpg

This corridor is very rough around the edges indeed, but it served it's purpose. At the beginning of day 5, it was here that Grim was murdered, and one of the alcoves served as the execution chamber in day 6.

Another corridor

p1050389.jpg

Actually, it's the same corridor, just altered a bit. Unfortunately I didn't have my 'studio' set up when I took this...

The Rooftop

p1050457.jpg

This little vignette saw Damien's leap of faith, which unfortunately didn't do him much good. The friar did make some hilarious comments on it however. This was back in day 8.

I was away for days 9 and 10, so no new scenes were created...

The Grand Hall

p1050476.jpg

I don't seem to have taken an overview shot of this one, so the caption challenge picture will have to do. This scene saw the introduction of Staudie to the game in Day 11, as well as Dragonator's ranting during day 12. Also, an invasion of ants. :grin:

The Store Room

p1050634.jpg

And finally, the store room, where Dragonator and Staudie hid from the angry mob in Day 13. You may recognise the floor as being from the corridor scene. Yeah, cheap Hollywood approach, I know. :tongue:

Well, there you have it folks! Those were the scenes of Mystery Castle. They were all a bit rough, but then they served their purposes. I know for certain however that next time round I'll pre-build some much bigger and grander scenes, spending much more time on them. I do feel that they worked well enough for this, my first game, anyway. I can only get better from here, I guess. :laugh:

I hope you found this insightful, and please, feel free to leave comments. :classic:

Excellent!

I love the store room and the King's Bed. The hall is also very nice. Overall, all the builds look great. You really did a good job designing these D.

Great pictures! I had been following this game since months ago? It's lovely to see these pictures surface again. From the courtyard to the store room, everything has been done with incredible effort, dedicated to bring this game a fun playing experience. Dragonator, once again, congrats and thanks for hosting such a fine Mystery Castle for my first attempt. :tongue:

I like the Courtyard. Is that a white tree in the store room?

Thanks everyone for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

I like the Courtyard. Is that a white tree in the store room?

Actually, that is a milky-white tree. :tongue: I do have a white one though. :grin: There are a few other weird parts in there, all the sort of stuff that shows up in TV storage rooms. :wink:

Sign in to follow this