Sign in to follow this  
Doctor Sinister

Republic Gunship Comparison - 7163 vs. 7676.

Comparison of the two Republic Gunship sets from LEGO. The original set 7163 from 2002 and the newer 7676 from 2008. Which one do you prefer?

GunshipComparison_001.JPG

GunshipComparison_002.JPG

GunshipComparison_003.JPG

GunshipComparison_004.JPG

GunshipComparison_005.JPG

GunshipComparison_006.JPG

GunshipComparison_007.JPG

GunshipComparison_008.JPG

GunshipComparison_009.JPG

GunshipComparison_010.JPG

GunshipComparison_011.JPG

GunshipComparison_012.JPG

Dr. S.

Nice comparison & pictures Dr S :wub:!

I need to build the 7676 to say really, on the pictures they look about the same in the "feeling" even though they´re slightly different.

So sorry - I´ll have to go with both :cry_happy:!

CopMike

Nice comparison & pictures Dr S :wub:!

Thanks. I mainly did it as I couldn't recall seeing a direct comparison anywhere else and that was annoying me. :tongue:

I need to build the 7676 to say really, on the pictures they look about the same in the "feeling" even though they´re slightly different.

So sorry - I´ll have to go with both :cry_happy:!

CopMike

The new one is larger, but not as much of an increase as the reviews suggested - but it is MUCH heavier. The older one is lighter and slightly smaller, and more heavily armed - I can imagine the two going into battle in concert, one to land the troops whilst the other provides covering fire from above as it seems it would have a larger troop capacity, and the speeder bike in the back. I think they complement each other very well.

Dr. S.

They both have flaw. The old one doesn't have seats in the wing bubbles, and the new one doesn't have bubble lasers on the sides.

Defiantly the new one. But where are the side bubble lasers? :cry_sad:

They both have flaw. The old one doesn't have seats in the wing bubbles, and the new one doesn't have bubble lasers on the sides.

I am assuming that it is simply a different model of LAAT - we know the Republic constructed different types, such as the type that could deliver an AT-TE to the battlefield, so perhaps this is yet another variation in the design.

Dr. S.

I am assuming that it is simply a different model of LAAT - we know the Republic constructed different types, such as the type that could deliver an AT-TE to the battlefield, so perhaps this is yet another variation in the design.

Dr. S.

It's been nerf'd. :tongue:

I'm liking the newer one, but it's looking too lengthy compared to the older one. Might just be me...

Great comparison Dr. S, i wish i had the original so i could do the same.

You should have included a picture of the minifigs and extras that come with each set.

Without having the 7163 i can't say for sure, but i would think the minifigs and awesome speeder might swing my vote the way of the 7676.

You should have included a picture of the minifigs and extras that come with each set.

Maybe, but I wasn't intending that this should be a review, just a comparison of the vehicles themselves - besides, the minifigs that came with the original (aside from the Clones) are somewhere in my collection but I can't place my hands on them right now.

Dr. S.

The newer one is better, but I miss those old printed bricks. And the minifig count from the ould one should have been moved in with the new one.

I sold 7163 a few years ago, and I haven't built my 7676 yet, so I'm glad to see some comparison shots. And now I don't regret my desision to just have the new one.

The new one. It is more detailed, bigger, and just looks all around better. It also has the pod and commander center plus double doors and missiles.

The new one is more accurate (on the design) if according to the new Clone Wars series and bigger while the old one have the side turret.

Hard decision. I would go for both if I am able to get both. :tongue: Although the first release not that impressive after there is a second release. But there are parts of the ship that i like on the both set. :classic:

Thanks! I was just about to ask for a thread like this. Now you saved me the trouble :thumbup:

I only got the new one but I'd have to say that there isn't much major obvious differences between the two versions. Except for the major redesign of the back and the side bubbles.

Has anyone noticed that the new bubble windshields are printed backward compared to the old ones?

Great comparison Dr. Sinister, cheers.

I own the original Republic Gunship and it's been a favourite mine for quite some time. The new version, which I'd like to get, appears to be that bit more detailed with much better interiors including the storage for the speederbike and command platform - as opposed to a simple box of tools in the original. There's a couple of cosmetic mods I'd make on the new version, but nothing extreme. Although there aren't the same amount of clonetroopers as the original, the new gunship has a great selection of some of the best Star Wars characters. And with the future clonetrooper battlepack planned, the lack of clones isn't such a bad thing.

All in all new > old!

Based on the book "Incredible Cross Sections" and the Hasbro Republic Gunship, the turrets in the winds are actually remote controlled.

The Turrets in the troop zone are the only manned turrets. :classic:

Anyway, the new one gets my vote. It's bigger, more detailed, and pretty easy to mod to turn the space in the nose into the Medical Bay it supposedly has (also from the cross-sections book). Also, the original as that rainbow war paint on the back. :pir-wink:

besides, just by the bubble turrets off the internet and make your own. :pirate:

Edited by Norrington

Based on the book "Incredible Cross Sections" and the Hasbro Republic Gunship, the turrets in the winds are actually remote controlled.

The Turrets in the troop zone are the only manned turrets. :classic:

Anyway, the new one gets my vote. It's bigger, more detailed, and pretty easy to mod to turn the space in the nose into the Medical Bay it supposedly has (also from the cross-sections book). besides, just by the bubble turrets off the internet and make your own. :pirate:

Both are great sets. The original set stands the test of time very well. Thanks for the comparison shots, Dr. S.

I have them both, but all my sets are boxed up at the moment (middle of moving).

Just wanted to add that the older set had more of a classic LEGO touch with the opening nose and tool box, which I personally like alot. The new gunship sticks more closely with its Clone Wars animated inspiration...lots of interior space, hinged doors, better use of colors to avoid the rainbow effect. In my estimation, they took a great model and made it better. I feel the same about the AT-TE. I keep hoping the AT-AT will get the same treatment down the road ( I think the walking AT-AT is in its own category apart from the official mini-fig scale sets, even though it did come with figs, much like the UCS Falcon)

Interesting comparison Dr. S!

I haven´t built my "new" RGS yet.

But hopefully I will get arround and start it today anyway.

There is some interesting new angles that the newer one has taken.

Might apply those to the older one as well eventually.

-Ras-