Mister Phes

PICTORIAL REVIEW: 1481 Desert Island

What do you rate this set?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1 to 5?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 1 - Terrible

1481_desert_island-800x565.jpg

Back in the days before "Impulse" was a word in the LEGO Group's marketing vocabulary there were small sets such 1481 Desert Island. This one in particular was part of a larger "value pack" so it could not be purchased independently. The island itself is very simplistic, just two yellow plates held together with a stack of grey bricks that represent bricks. It is very much similar to 1464 Pirate Lookout which did retail in both box and polybag. The only real difference between the two is the pirate mini-figure and accessories like the flag and animals.

Interestingly Desert Island is the only small pirate set which contains more than one animal, as it generously offers both a shark and parrot. There's a flag on a lance and a pot filled with gold coins - that's about it! A small, simple and sweet set!

1481_desert_island-front.jpg

1481_desert_island-front_without_minifigure.jpg

1481_desert_island-back_without_minifigure.jpg

1481_desert_island-accessories.jpg

1481_desert_island-minifigure.jpg

1481_desert_island-parrot.jpg

1714_desert_island-shark.jpg

Sounds like a good impulse set. Mind mentioning what came in this value pack?

Thanks for the review Mister Phes. There really isn't much to say about this set. By itself I wouldn't have bought it, but I think it came with some Imperial Guards in the value pack. I guess it's more like a minifig pack, just split into individual packs.

Tony

It is an ok set for some extra foilage and a pirate, but it's not special or anything and it could have used a cutlass.

But what was the use of releasing a set exclusively in a value-pack? Why not make the value pack multiple sets that where also released individually or make it just 1 set (no use of putting them in seperate boxes) or did putting multiple sets in 1 value-pack look more like a bargain, and better marketing-wise?

The reason he doesn't have a cutlass is that he's marooned.

When pirates were marooned, they'd be given a pistol with one shot, just in case they wanted a quick death. :pir-skull:

Huzzah to TLG for realism!

Anyhoo, I must say this is one of the more mediocre Impulse Pirates sets, but it's still great nonetheless.

It's far better than 1464 Pirate Lookout ( :thumbdown: ).

Bluebeard, out-

Edited by Capt. Bluebeard

By itself I wouldn't have bought it, but I think it came with some Imperial Guards in the value pack. I guess it's more like a minifig pack, just split into individual packs.

You're thinking of the Barnacle Bay Value Pack. Desert Island came in a Value Pack of 5 sets, each from a different theme.

1476-1.jpg

I don’t remember the value pack being released in the UK, however I’m lucky enough to have it as it was out the first time my parent took me as a child to the US. It’s an interesting set, in my humble opinion it is weaker than the other value pack one (which looked like a Puckle gun) I also think it’s the weakest in the value pack. It’s good that we are provided with two animals but I think Lego just did the marooned on a little island to many time.

I think the Value Pack was a Northern American special only so that makes finding a genuine version much rare. Of course you could easily throw it together with spare pieces, but if you're a collector seeking the real deal your chances as diminished.

I'd never heard of a Puckle Gun before so thank you for enlightening me.

180px-Puckle_gun.jpg

I love little sets like this one, 2 animals , a little "Saucepan" and a nice little island.

I think it is quite a good set. If anything, I think it should have a palm tree rather than a rock. It would look a bit more like a deserted island that you see in cartoons etc.

Regards, Captain Zuloo :pir-laugh:

Very good. It was a nice short to the point review. The set is also very cool.

Paulie

Edited by Paulie

Very good. It was a nice short to the point review. The set is also very cool.

Paulie

It's such a small set, that Mister Phes couldn't have made it a long review if he tried!

Edited by Captain Zuloo

While it was one of the weaker members of a great value pack, this was still a nice set. And as Phes noted the generosity in including two animals (which were special back in those days) as well as gold pieces, was very nice. I always personally liked the multipurpose pot, is he digging with it? Drinking from it? Carrying gold in it?

God Bless,

Nathan