On a scale 1 to 5  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Warning! This review is likely to descend into me being nostalgic about the Route Master Bus, and London is general. You have been warned.

There is some confusion about the set number and I've seen it with three different ones! Therefore I shall adopt 760 Peeron from for this review.

I first moved to London four years ago when I started my undergraduate degree, one of my fondest memories was getting (well fighting for space) on a Route Master in the morning and heading off to university. A while later I was just browsing eBay and I can across this set in a mint box in the US even though I wasn't quite out of my dark-age yet I couldn't resist and bought it.

Theme: Legoland

Set Name: London Bus

Set Number: 760

Number of Pieces: 110 (It says so on the outside of the box.)

Figures: 0 (It's pre-minfig)

Released: 1975

List Price: ? (Sadly I don't know)

760 Peeron.com

760 Bricklink Catalog2

Before we even get to the box I'll show you the box I keep the set and box in.

760-01.jpg

I really don't want this set damaged.

Now lets open the protective box and look inside.

760-02.jpg

It looks fantastic, and has a huge safety warning.

760-03.jpg

The back of the box, show the sticker sheet, I plan to decal it at some point.

760-04.jpg

A quick comparison with one of the smaller modern sets, the boxes were much smaller in the 70's.

Now time to open up the box and get the pieces out and start building.

760-05.jpg

Looks more than 110 to me.[/.

One detail that I think is worth pointing out is the old style windows. Rather than studs at the bottom you have prongs. This makes them harder to place and fit, I'm glad Lego later changed this though I think the 3x window could make a welcome return.

760-14.jpg

Older design system, but was made 3 long.

Something I noticed about this old set is that Lego expect you to do a lot more in each step in the 1970's than they do now.

760-06.jpg

This is step 1

760-07.jpg

This is step 5 it's almost built.

760-08.jpg

One more in build shot.

Finally it’s built, I had some problems making sure all the windows line up but they were easily resolved.

760-09.jpg

Side view.

760-10.jpg

A view I remember from waiting in the rain.

760-11.jpg

Full side view.

760-12.jpg

A sight often seen as you start funning to the stop.

Sadly you don't get any minifig as they were yet to be invented, but if we add some we can quickly get a typical London street scene going.

760-13.jpg

Running to jump on the bus use to be so popular.

The truth is I think this set is great, it really captures the feel of the old Route Master. Also it's really solid looking, sadly there's not really space to put many figs inside.

The Rating System

Figures: 0/10 (I can't blame them for not inventing them yet.)

Parts 8/10 (A great selection of parts, I love 3x windows even though the old style is harder to use.)

Fun Fun Fun 9/10 (A great set, once youâ've added some passenger it makes a perfect addition to any city.)

Design 10/10 (It's a perfect replica of the Route Master which looks great. Something that looked great in Lego, perfect!)

Price: ?/10 (Unknown so can't mark them on that..)

Grand Total 27/30 (An amazingly high mark for an amazing set.)

Conclusion.

This set is fantastic, there have been a number of complaints over the years about the lack of buses in the Lego world well this set is the answer. While it might seem to be made of quite rare parts actually the parts are quite common on bricklink (please don't go and buy them all I want to build a few more route masters) so it can easily be reproduced. While it might seem obvious, the fact that it's a set of an easily identifiable real world bus is one of the aspect think is great, also they picked probably one of the most recognizable buses in the world. To me this set is one of the best I own and due to its condition I think I might be the jewel in the crown of my collection, in the longer term I hope to build up a small fleet of them in a mini-London.

Sadly I don't have the stickers for the set, I'm planning on making some and adding them with decals to another copy of the route master. Maybe the 96 calling at Bluewater for the Lego shop.

760-next.jpg

great review! I also own this set (and also without stickers) and I'm kind of astonished that TLG made special car bases (even back in the seventies) where normal pieces could have been used.

Edited by BerndDasBrot

Great review of a set I didn't even know existed. It's a very distinctive design that most folks could probably -with a few adjustments- replicate from their collection. Hmm, gas prices being what they are, maybe my seaside village needs a double-decker...

This was possibly my first ever LEGO set (I can't really recall whether I had this one first or a plane set I can also recall).

Thanks for the review.

Dr. S.

Great review! Man, I wish I had about 5 of these for Module City...

I wonder if I can find some in good condition.

CardinalBrick: This is truly an amazing review. I don't think too many people remember this classic set; although I remember seeing it in in one of my local department stores in the late 70s. How terrific! - and you even have the box in very nice condition. Do you have the instructions as well?

I always wanted this little London Bus, but never got it as a Christmas or Birthday gift. I admire the fact that you have one of these vintage sets.

My oldest intact set is 730 Steam Shovel w/Carrier.

Excellent Review! I DEFINATELY give this set a 5!

EDIT: Some decals would really be awesome.

My oldest intact set is 730 Steam Shovel w/Carrier.

Excellent Review! I DEFINATELY give this set a 5!

Oh YEAH. I gave it a 5 as well.

And that steam shovel set is awesome... :oh:

I really like this set that I found in my grandparent's basement (along with about 20 other Classic Town sets), and great review! Out of all the original vehicles, this is by far the best in my opinion.

Thanks for all the comments, it good to know you enjoyed the review.

CardinalBrick: This is truly an amazing review. I don't think too many people remember this classic set; although I remember seeing it in in one of my local department stores in the late 70s. How terrific! - and you even have the box in very nice condition. Do you have the instructions as well?

EDIT: Some decals would really be awesome.

Yes I do also have a set of instruction, they’re also in mint condition. I would have added some pictures but I sent them off to a paper conservator recently, don’t laugh! I own a few books from the 1640’s (2) that needed work doing so I though I’d add the instruction in as well, I’m kind of paranoid and protective about this set to be honest. When I get round to getting the decals done I’ll post pictures and them for download.

I wanted to comment this long ago. This is an amazing classic town set, which is very beautiful. I must admit that you keep this set in a very good condition, including the box as well. I enjoyed this review very much. The illustration of the typical London scene is lovely. I must admt that this is a well designed set. No doubt for me, an instant 5 for the Classic London Bus.

On a side note, this was featured in Classic Town and is part of the reviews index as well. :wink: