I've just downloaded and installed LDD.

Now I've been fooling around with it for a few hours and I can't build what I'd like to, because of the lack of bricks.

Is there any way of updating/adding more bricks to the program?

I don't intend on using the buy function or anything. I'd just like to build a LDD model and then do it "real life".

Is there another program around like this, that has all bricks?

This topic is meant for all to ask questions, so feel free to ask anything LDD here.

I've seen plenty of fine LDD-designs around and we have quite a few skilled LDD designers around.

Q. Now I've been fooling around with it for a few hours and I can't build what I'd like to, because of the lack of bricks.

A. Not that I am aware of.

Q. I don't intend on using the buy function or anything. I'd just like to build a LDD model and then do it "real life".

Is there another program around like this, that has all bricks?

LDraw which I never tried, and MLCAD which I never got to grips with because the bricks don't seem to "Click" or "Lock" onto each other like in LDD, but it includes alot of parts.

Hope I helped.

EDIT - Whoops! As I suspected, LDraw and MLCAD seem to be the same program! D'oh!

Staudie.

Edited by Stauder

KimT:

You can go to "View" menu and select "New Themes" and from there switch brick palette between Creator or Factory (or Mindstorms). Doesn't offer much, and it's a bit awkward (you'll still want factory as it has a lot of the useful parts) but it does expand the range of bricks a little bit.

I too would like to use LDD for more than just those themes, it's a nice easy program to use, and though it can be tricky if you are trying to combine bricks in unconventional ways (it may not allow it), the flipside is that it is great the way it snaps bricks together correctly.

I've only built about 3 full models in it so far, and a couple partial attempts.

LDraw which I never tried, and MLCAD which I never got to grips with because the bricks don't seem to "Click" or "Lock" onto each other like in LDD, but it includes alot of parts.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Though I must admit that I really like the interface in LDD.

Just a darn shame they've not included all bricks.

You can go to "View" menu and select "New Themes" and from there switch brick palette between Creator or Factory (or Mindstorms). Doesn't offer much, and it's a bit awkward (you'll still want factory as it has a lot of the useful parts) but it does expand the range of bricks a little bit.

Yeah I noticed that and at first I hoped to be able to enter a set number and have the bricks for that set.

But "noooo", as you said, it only allows a very limited type of bricks.

I've heard that someone in Asia hacked the program and thus allowed it to use all bricks.

The hack destroyed the "Buy me!"-function.

But since I'm not going to use that function, it doesn't matter.

Has anyone heard of such a hack/addon program?

Thanks for your help so far. :classic:

You can't do that, if Lego release a patch with new bricks, install it (actually I think there is an auto-update feature).

What can you do if you've been using LDD then Lego release a patch removing pieces and you can no longer upload or price your existing sets? How can tell which pieces are no longer available in Factory without practically starting again?

Cheers

Rog

You can't do that, if Lego release a patch with new bricks, install it (actually I think there is an auto-update feature).

Damn :hmpf_bad:

What can you do if you've been using LDD then Lego release a patch removing pieces and you can no longer upload or price your existing sets? Who can tell which pieces are no longer available in Factory without practically starting again?

Cheers

Rog

Damn :hmpf_bad:

Good question..I have no idea what to answer. But then again, I'm quite new at using LDD

I think we need to call our Ambassador and have him ask TLG a few questions on this subject. :thumbup:

What can you do if you've been using LDD then Lego release a patch removing pieces and you can no longer upload or price your existing sets? How can tell which pieces are no longer available in Factory without practically starting again?

Cheers

Rog

I belive this has happend once and If I remember, it pops up a message, asking if you want to remove the peice from the model, or if you want to keep the peice there you will not be able tp upload it to Lego.com, can somome confirm this?

Staudie.

Well LDD has a Limit we all know but Its good for basing designs. MCLAD is to hard to get a hang of.

The only problem is LDD is overpriced, Lego have removed nearly all Yellow tiles except for the 2x1...So its hard for Pirates.

And its hard for big mocs, If you want a small vignette, go for it, If you want a Pirate ship, look somewhere else. :sceptic:

I belive this has happend once and If I remember, it pops up a message, asking if you want to remove the peice from the model, or if you want to keep the peice there you will not be able tp upload it to Lego.com, can somome confirm this?

Staudie.

Yes it does happen, I cannot load up my old HMS Unicorns anymore since the Update. I used long yellow pieces and certain slopes and they have been removed...Ive sent messages to lego and all they said, now this is true:

I am sorry to hear that you have not been able to complete the creation you have been working on for so long. Please contact *ur technical support regarding this issue on 0207 365 1497. They will be happy to help you with your enquiry so that you can continue as soon as possible.

*Does this meen slang for "Your"?

They wont do anything...So im afraid its only good for kids who make small dinosaurs... :laugh:

I gave up on LDD after only a few minutes. The selection of pieces and colours is far too limited for it to be useful for serious Lego building.

I use a Mac, and Bricksmith seems to be the best Ldraw-compatible Lego modeller. There are lots on the Windows end too but I don't know what's good.

In the parts selection menu you can switch of all filters. Then you have the full palette of PaB PLUS most of the creator pieces. If you´re not intending to show off the models or buy them, this is your best chance of getting a nice variety of bricks and a really good program to start your designs.

In the parts selection menu you can switch of all filters. Then you have the full palette of PaB PLUS most of the creator pieces. If you´re not intending to show off the models or buy them, this is your best chance of getting a nice variety of bricks and a really good program to start your designs.

I know, but I want more :devil:

Some is not enough, I need all bricks (more or less).

But thanks for the advice :thumbup:

I've found the selection of bricks is way to limited in LDD. I did, however, make a MOC in it,wait a day, then come back to it and realize a "brick update" had came and I could no longer upload it. :hmpf_bad:

I've found the selection of bricks is way to limited in LDD. I did, however, make a MOC in it,wait a day, then come back to it and realize a "brick update" had came and I could no longer upload it. :hmpf_bad:

My point exactly - It sucks! :hmpf_bad:

Cheers

Rog

I totally agree!! WTF was lego thinking when they made this and yelled: "Hey, everyone!!! Lookie here!!", and, well, NOT MUCH TO LOOK @.....Even w/ the Lego Universe hack, still not enough to build what I'd like to build.. I'm trying out SR3D Builder, just finished installing, will give feedback l8r

BTW, cant even find an update, so I'm using 3.1.3, 1.6, and 3.0.9 to get my full share of parts :hmpf_bad:

lol, you exhumed a post of almost 2 years ago!

It should be moved in the new LDD subforum (moderatoooooors....!!) :tongue:

PS: now it is available for LDD the new Universe Theme, that unlocks all the pieces contained in LDD library.

Edited by Calabar

This topic is over two years old and contains mostly questions that are not relevant anymore. I hope no one minds if I close it.