Sign in to follow this  
Hinckley

Fabuland Trolley

builders_guild.gif indexed.gif

So, last week I posted Dempsey Dog's Book Store with a bit of a teaser for a Fabuland Train coming soon and here it is:

trolley_01.jpg

This trolley is based off of a Stockholm streetcar, but modified quite a bit to fit into the Fabuland scale and a brighter color scheme.

trolley_02.jpg

trolley_07.jpg

trolley_08.jpg

Door closed....

trolley_09.jpg

Door open and loading four friends!

trolley_10.jpg

Inappropriate public transportation behavior!

trolley_11.jpg

Full gallery here

trolley_12.jpg

This is more or less a prototype at this point. I haven't built a lot of trains and can use as much advice as possible. I specifically need to re-build this in order to motorize it. But with the rail in place for the door, the motor will have to go in back and the floor raised up or the skirt lowered. Not sure how I'll manage that yet. Enjoy and feedback and suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Nice work Hink, it really has that classic feel with a disco colorscheme! :thumbup:

Isn't it possible to just take out the current wheels and put the motor in the middle?

It seems there is enough space and there would be no need for a working bogie or anything...

Most old trolleys had 4 wheels in the middle and a protection rail around them for pedestrians.

I also would reconsider the large grey plate on the roof, it looks a little bulky.

Some fences might also give the rastered look you're after...

Just my 2 cents :wink:

Thanks Captain Green Hair!

Yes, the gray plate is more based off of our electric trains here in the states than the streetcar in Stockholm. That might make it look a lot better. The motor is two plates higher than the wheels with a technic pin sticking out of it, so I do have to build the floor up or a longer skirt. It looks goofy with the wheels sticking out too far below the skirt.

Thanks for the great advice, I will certainly try to incorporate it. :sweet:

Thanks Captain Green Hair!

Yes, the gray plate is more based off of our electric trains here in the states than the streetcar in Stockholm. That might make it look a lot better. The motor is two plates higher than the wheels with a technic pin sticking out of it, so I do have to build the floor up or a longer skirt. It looks goofy with the wheels sticking out too far below the skirt.

Thanks for the great advice, I will certainly try to incorporate it. :sweet:

You're welcome friend.

I think lowering the skirt, and maybe making it 1 window longer would look best.

I love these old trolleys, even planning on making one sometime.. :wub:

Very nice design, Hinckley :thumbup: . It has a certain Back to the Future aura that appeals me a lot.

On a LEGO basis, it somewhat reminds me of a certain dinner-car we saw last here in The Whacker and the Walrus. Speaking of which, will we see this beauty in the next episodes :look: ?

LuxorV

Oh how I love you. :wub:

Finally, a decent tram! And its Fabuland!!

I love the design, it just looks like the trolleys of old! :cry_happy:

I gotta build me one, any tips, hints or tricks???

~A.S.

Edited by AwesomeStar

So, and here is where I admit how stupid I am. The other day I was sitting looking at those rail pieces you used to make the door slide and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what they were used for. So, when I saw this, my head almost exploded. But I contained it because that would have been just plain rude.

I really like the shape of the trolley. 8 wides don't do much for me as trains. In my opinion they look too big for their wheels. But as a trolley it really works.

I know its not a San Francisco trolley but I keep thinking you need an ad for Rice-a-roni on it. Whats a good treat from Stockholm?

-Tohst

Hey Hink,why did you and Ras beat the hell out of CopMike? And it looks like Joker. So yeah,what really did happened in the trolley?

That's a nice looking trolley, good use of those purple Knight Bus windows. I also like the bottom of the car and how you did the curved front windows. :classic:

A smooth work in a great and fresh color scheme with good proportions. Very neat! :classic:

A smooth work in a great and fresh color scheme with good proportions. Very neat! :classic:

:wub: Welcome back and thanks for the feedback. It's nice to see you again. :sweet:

Very nice trolley Hinckley! :thumbup:

The colors are very festive and I think the design is nice as well. I really like the way those tubes look on the side. It gives a nice striped look to it.

Have you been mean to CopMike? :sadnew:

Great MOC!

:wub: Welcome back and thanks for the feedback. It's nice to see you again. :sweet:

Yup, I guess I´m back indeed. And I´m even ready to accept some nifty proposals for the substitution

of words like smooth, neat, indeed and, um, nifty... *huh*

:tongue:

:wub: The purple and green looks great. I love the tubes too. They really make this thing realistic! :thumbup: