Derek

City '09?

Id love some more of those detailed sets like Green Grocer,Cafè Corner and the last one,which I cant remember.

Oh well.

I never got my hands on those..grrr

I got bad news everyone , CC style buildings are likely not to appear in 2009, insted, there will be a town plan like diorama, I'm unsure if that set is the City Corner or a Shop at Home exclusive. I will have more info after christmas...

The big orange truck looks nice, but I like the little orange version of the police Motorbike more. I hope the bike is in a separated little set.

Waiting for City corner pics. :classic:

The bike belongs to the transporter, according to the catalogue. If you only want an orange bike without buying this, you can get one cheaper with this set.

I think that TLC should decide "once forever" which is the scale of Lego City.

I agree that classical town vehicles (especially trucks) are too small, so my preferred scale is 4-wide for cars and 6-wide for trucks. The orange truck is perfect in this scale.

However, many of the vehicles that TLC has been releasing in the last years are too oversized, like 7726 Coast Guard Truck with Speed Boat or 7344 Dump Truck. Which Lego town can fit these vehicles? They are larger than roads and buildings!

I think that if we wanted to build truly realistic vehicles with 4 seats, we should also build huge houses, with rooms that can fit several people, bathrooms, and so on. This is something that an expert builder with a good budget can afford, but not a kid or a "small-budget" AFOL.

So we need a compromise. Classical town vehicles and buildings had "common rules" and they used to look well together. Most vehicles were low-priced items that a kid used to receive as little presents, and there were many kinds of buildings.

Now instead a kid collects different sets that can't fit in the same town! Consider also that some themes, such as Racers and most of Creator, are not in the same scale of Lego City, and so how is a kid supposed to build a "LEGO City"?

Edited by Lego Amaryl

The coast guard bike is a dirt bike, the one in the transporter is a racing-type bike. Plus, the coast guard isn't feasable because it is rare, it would cost a unreasonable price.

That includes me as well. :tongue: From now on, City will be no longer be the same, as it will be inclined towards more civillian stuff approach where we could be likely to see retail shops, dining area, parks, bus station, garage, car park and whatever more. I am sure, very soon, we will be able to see some new pictures somewhere, somehow. :wub:

I totally agree with you, WhiteFang! Retail shops (and mainly a food shop) would be simply :oh3: !

We had a rumour about a bus station exclusive a while ago.

Have anyone heard anything about it?

Otherwise it may be the 7641 City Corner or the 7642 Garage. The thing is, an exclusive use to have 5 numbers instead of 4.

When you look at the prices I "translated" from kiddiwinks it's very unlikely that the City Corner will include a bus station and a bus since these two elements would already be the price without anything else.

If a bus and a bus station will be included in the garage set is hard to say. On the one hand I do disbelieve it since the combination would be a bit strange. On the other hand the set seems to be around 90 Euros - so there would be enough space left.

I got bad news everyone , CC style buildings are likely not to appear in 2009, insted, there will be a town plan like diorama, I'm unsure if that set is the City Corner or a Shop at Home exclusive. I will have more info after christmas...

Thank you very much for that information, Lord Santos! :sweet:

I would be really not disappointed when there would be no CC styled buildings since I don't like and buy them. :wink:

Imo it's hard to say whether the City Corner will be the Town Plan style set you mentioned: When you look at the prices I "translated" from kiddiwinks it's very unlikely that the City Corner will be more than 60 Euros. And so either the buildings in this set would have to be only very little (perhaps even only one floor big) which would be :sad: - or there'll be another City S@H Exclusive. On the other hand I don't think that TLG will release another Town Plan style Exclusive only one year after the excellent 10184. And since there shall even be a train exclusive set it's imo very unlikely that there'll be another big City exclusive set. But of course we don't know. I think we'll have to wait for pics in order to know more. :sceptic:

Like Dennimator already asked: Do you know in which set the bus with station will appear or won't there be one in 2009, Lord Santos?

Klaus-Dieter

When you look at the prices I "translated" from kiddiwinks it's very unlikely that the City Corner will include a bus station and a bus since these two elements would already be the price without anything else.

If a bus and a bus station will be included in the garage set is hard to say. On the one hand I do disbelieve it since the combination would be a bit strange. On the other hand the set seems to be around 90 Euros - so there would be enough space left.

Maybe it´s a bus garage? :tongue:

...I don't think that TLG will release another Town Plan style Exclusive only one year after the excellent 10184. And since there shall even be a train exclusive set it's imo very unlikely that there'll be another big City exclusive set...

Oh, but they will. The Castle village set is in the same style and fits perfectly into a city.

A train exclusive? :look:

Does anyone have info about that one?

Now instead a kid collects different sets that can't fit in the same town! Consider also that some themes, such as Racers and most of Creator, are not in the same scale of Lego City, and so how is a kid supposed to build a "LEGO City"?

The problem is that kids probably don't set up permanent cities like AFOL's do. Kids also probably don't have access to many road plates, and just play with the sets as is.

The problem is that kids probably don't set up permanent cities like AFOL's do. Kids also probably don't have access to many road plates, and just play with the sets as is.

Yes, I totally agree with you, Yeow. Plus kids don't take much care about whether the benchmark of cars to houses is correct or not.

But I even do totally agree with Lego Amaryl and Grievous, too: civilian cars should be four stuck wide and trucks six stuck wide. And it's right: When TLG amplifies the benchmark of cars, they should do with houses, too.

Imo it would be the best to make civilian cars not bigger than four stuck wide and trucks not bigger than six stuck wide since too big vehicles don't look any longer like Lego but like sheap plastic toys - and I think that neither we nor TLG wants that (or at least I hope so)!

Btw: I forgot to mentioned that I'm really surprised that there won't be any Impulse sets in the rest of 2009. :sad: Where is my post officer with his yellow cycle?! :cry_sad::grin:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Not permanent cities like an AFOL's one... in 80-90s with some BASIC and Town sets, you could own a little town without spending a capital.

Now this is impossible, so kids tend to consider a LEGO set as a standalone toy to play with.

I have been quite bored with the flat-front trucks lately, so this is a great change for me. :thumbup:

Thank you metalandi for this pic. This set looks very COOL!! I hope TLG will release this set in the US. From the looks of this new set, the rumored sets just might be possible. I can't wait to see what else TLG will release in "City" for the year.

Model On!!

Perhaps, it could be a bus stop with a yellow bus added to the entire shop line concept. You know City Corner, kind of reminds me of Cafe Corner. It could be a exclusive set for a CITY set but is defintely not a modular set since the set number does not begin with 5 digits.

I think that TLC should decide "once forever" which is the scale of Lego City.

I agree that classical town vehicles (especially trucks) are too small, so my preferred scale is 4-wide for cars and 6-wide for trucks. The orange truck is perfect in this scale.

However, many of the vehicles that TLC has been releasing in the last years are too oversized, like 7726 Coast Guard Truck with Speed Boat or 7344 Dump Truck. Which Lego town can fit these vehicles? They are larger than roads and buildings!

I think that if we wanted to build truly realistic vehicles with 4 seats, we should also build huge houses, with rooms that can fit several people, bathrooms, and so on. This is something that an expert builder with a good budget can afford, but not a kid or a "small-budget" AFOL.

So we need a compromise. Classical town vehicles and buildings had "common rules" and they used to look well together. Most vehicles were low-priced items that a kid used to receive as little presents, and there were many kinds of buildings.

Like others have said, kids don't think along the lines of adults. Yes, those trucks are rather big for a standard LEgo city, but they still look good with Mini figs. As a kid i too would have much prefered the larger sets as they give more playbility.

Also, to be honest, i really don't see anything in the current town selection not fitting in toeghter. The new base plates except 8 wide vehicles just fine, and look wellproportioned against buildings like Cafe Corner, or even the creator houses.

Not permanent cities like an AFOL's one... in 80-90s with some BASIC and Town sets, you could own a little town without spending a capital.

Now this is impossible, so kids tend to consider a LEGO set as a standalone toy to play with.

Not sure if i agree with that. It really depends on how you set up your town. It might be harder to incorperate some of the newer larger vehicles and structures with the older ones, but guess what? Tiomes change, as will the size of vehicles and the buildings. Personally ithink Lego is doing a bang up job! I love 4 to 6 wide cars ans SUV's. 6 wide meduim duty trucks, with 8 wide semi's is just fine by me! keep it up TLC! The more realistic the better!

Perhaps, it could be a bus stop with a yellow bus added to the entire shop line concept. You know City Corner, kind of reminds me of Cafe Corner. It could be a exclusive set for a CITY set but is defintely not a modular set since the set number does not begin with 5 digits.

Not to dampen any spirts here, but why does everyone seem to think that the city corner is going to be a buss stop/station of some sort? Has anyone found anything to support this, or are we just taking guess at what City corner might be?

Not to dampen any spirts here, but why does everyone seem to think that the city corner is going to be a buss stop/station of some sort? Has anyone found anything to support this, or are we just taking guess at what City corner might be?

Few weeks ago, I have heard something similar to the design above from a few sources and was thought to be associated with City Corner at the same time as they have attended the LEGO trade conference for retailers in my country. At this moment, we don't have any firm evidence to stay true our words. Perhaps, to prevent us from raising our hopes any much higher, let's wait patiently for the pics to appear, similar to what metalandi has found. :classic:

A last comment from me about the size issue because we might get derailed from the main topic. Cars (and buildings) being more detailed is progress and evolution. It's just that re-entering the world of Lego after 15 years i was struck by lightning. :oh: I have bought some 6-wide vehicles lately, all of them being as close as they can get not to look too odd amongst classic town vehicles and i 'm starting being familiar with the 6-wide picture. Most of them look amazing.

Still, there are some vehicles that is maybe too early for me to accept like the 7743 Police Command Centertn_7743-1_jpg.jpg, 7998 Heavy Hauler tn_7998-1_jpg.jpgand 7900 Heavy Loadertn_7900-1_jpg.jpg. Time is my friend i think.

After all, the doctor said one step at a time. :laugh:

I think that the City Corner si a regular set, not a S@H exclusive.

The list oh 2009 S@H excluives has not been annouced yet (except the Medieval Market)

Wow, that set is ugly :thumbdown::sick: :sick: . I logged on and saw it and I thought, 'I hope that's an MOC or something.' The blue/orange color scheme is absolutely hideous, and it simply feels that it's lacking something, but what, I don't know..... Maybe it's some kind of weird coast guard set?...

Wow, that set is ugly :thumbdown::sick: :sick: . I logged on and saw it and I thought, 'I hope that's an MOC or something.' The blue/orange color scheme is absolutely hideous, and it simply feels that it's lacking something, but what, I don't know..... Maybe it's some kind of weird coast guard set?...

You really think so? I think it looks much better than LEGO's last conventional cab truck (that is, not a cab-over/flat front). This new one actually has a really nice look, in my opinion. Despite the newer pieces and larger scale (which makes sense for a truck), I feel like this set really keeps the spirit of classic town. In fact, I think that the City line as a whole does that (with a few notable exceptions). When I see this new truck set, it reminds me more of the trucks in this set than it does of the truck I mentioned before--not in scale, or in pieces used, but in the spirit of it.

Edited by Mariko