Teddy

WIP modular castle

Great work. It's almost there! The landscaping is excellent however the divide between the water and the bank is decidedly mechanical (it's a straight line). I would suggest building up the bank of the moat and building some parts over top of the water's edge to create the illusion that the moat curves around the castle. Make the edge of the moat a bit more organic (if that makes sense). The landscape is great but the transition between the water and the edge of the landscape still needs a bit of work. Still, an awesome effort that really stands out!

Dear all thanks for all the great replies! I really appriciate them. :classic:

WOW! That is HUGE! Great job Teddy! I can't wait until its finished, but I guess great MOC's take time...

Dear lego12, thanks for the compliment! It's very nice of you to say. keeps me motivated.

Very nice. Make you also a winter and a spring version?

Dear Wout, I did not think of that yet, but it is a very cool idea.

wowww I loveeee it ! will you make the entire castle ?

Thanks for liking my castle, Gus! :classic: I would like to make a square or rectangular base with two more round towers at the back corners and a keep.

I do have three more wall sections finished and two smaller towers, but I have a lack of table space for the moment which prevents me from attaching them.

I also need to get more light bley for the keep design I've been considering.

Great work. It's almost there! The landscaping is excellent however the divide between the water and the bank is decidedly mechanical (it's a straight line). I would suggest building up the bank of the moat and building some parts over top of the water's edge to create the illusion that the moat curves around the castle. Make the edge of the moat a bit more organic (if that makes sense). The landscape is great but the transition between the water and the edge of the landscape still needs a bit of work. Still, an awesome effort that really stands out!

Dear blueandwhite, thanks for the constructive feedback.

I have updated the waterfront. I've made the waterfront wave a bit in an effort to make the transission to the water smoother.

I wanted to preseverve the moat feel to it.

Hopefully, this is more or less what you were talking about.

If not I'm always open for other ideas.

25-09-08_1804nr2.jpg

Dear all,

Recently I made some scenery update.

Next to that I made a hoist mechanism for the two portcullises.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Scenery update:

01-10-08_1403nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1404nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1405nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1418nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1420nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1419nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1407nr2.jpg

Hoist update:

01-10-08_1417nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1408nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1409nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1410nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1412nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1414nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1415nr2.jpg

01-10-08_1416nr2.jpg

For ease of controle I made exterior nobs for us humans next to the two brown ones operated by the soldiers on the top level.

01-10-08_1417nr22.jpg

Edited by Teddy

The surrounding landscape is looking really good! I'm not sure I care for the red and orange trees, but they don't look bad.

Good call adding tiles to the top of the walls... that's a nice little change. :classic: I'm really impressed by your portcullis mechanism. Really great detail there. :thumbup:

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'm enjoying watching your progress.

The autumn trees are a nice touch, I don't understand the black and white tree though, :thumbup:

The way that the portucullises are made so functional is excellent, it's a pretty nice touch to round off the castle, and cooler that you are able to have a minifig opening area inside too. :sweet:

The bullrushes are also a nice touch, along with the little dock, all it needs is a small boat.

Can't wait for more to appear here. :wink:

Very nice. :thumbup:

@ Inertia: I believe it is a birch, It has a much white outside when it is a bigger tree, with some black markings on it. It is a much common tree in the Netherlands.

Edit: Wikipedialink

Edited by Wout

Dear Sir Dillon, Inertia, and Wout,

thanks for all the nice comments!

The tree is indeed a birch. Or at least that is what it is supposed to be. :tongue:

your nice comments inspired me to do some extra work on the castle.

I made some additional texture to the walls.

It is kind of an expiriment to make details around for example the arrow slits.

Please tell me what you think. :classic:

any comments are welcome!

Kind regards,

Teddy

05-10-08_1256nr2.jpg

05-10-08_1250nr2.jpg

05-10-08_1251nr2.jpg

:oh: Those trees are the best designed trees I have ever seen! They are so beautiful and life like! I love how they have a fall look! :wub: The interior of the Castle is starting to improve. :thumbup:

(BTW, I am watching Star Wars Episode 1) :yoda:

Lego12

:oh: Those trees are the best designed trees I have ever seen! They are so beautiful and life like! I love how they have a fall look! :wub: The interior of the Castle is starting to improve. :thumbup:

(BTW, I am watching Star Wars Episode 1) :yoda:

Lego12

Dear lego12,

thanks for the compliment on the trees! They were an experiment to see how I could make a fall look.

I have been collecting some bricks for the enterior. I'm thinking of putting stables and living quarters in the

current courtyard. A bit like bodiam castle. Further I've been looking into the back of the castle and desided

to do the keep like it is done in the Muiderslot here.

So more a big house inside the back walls.

Any other cool ideas are welcome as well ofcourse. Since I havent started construction of the keep yet.

Kind regards,

Teddy

I like the texture added to the walls.

It gives it all a more realistic look.

:thumbup:

I like the texture added to the walls.

It gives it all a more realistic look.

:thumbup:

Dear KimT,

thanks for the compliment. :classic:

I've been experimenting especially around the arrow slits to give the impression of bigger stones surounding them as is the case in some castles.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Very nice. :thumbup:

@ Inertia: I believe it is a birch, It has a much white outside when it is a bigger tree, with some black markings on it. It is a much common tree in the Netherlands.

Edit: Wikipedialink

Ah, Thanks for the help, I think i'll add a few to my next MOC...

You're definitely a great builder Teddy, One question though, for the autumn trees were you inspired by Anthony Sava in any way, because a few of his MOCs have autumn trees in them.

By the way, I like the texturing, it makes it look a lot better :thumbup:

Ah, Thanks for the help, I think i'll add a few to my next MOC...

You're definitely a great builder Teddy, One question though, for the autumn trees were you inspired by Anthony Sava in any way, because a few of his MOCs have autumn trees in them.

By the way, I like the texturing, it makes it look a lot better :thumbup:

Dear Inertia,

thanks for your compliment! :classic:

To be honoust, I have not been inspired by Anthony Sava...

But I will look for photos of his MOCs today, since there might be something interesting in there. :sweet:

Thanks for the tip.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Looking great Teddy, I love the experiments into diff seasons for the trees too. The portcullis technic work is great to look at and functional.

I dont expect you to disassemble such a magnificent piece of work, but would greatly value your ideas in the community build. :classic:

Also for the birch I think plates like this could add to the effect 6019.gif

Edited by I Scream Clone

Looking great Teddy, I love the experiments into diff seasons for the trees too. The portcullis technic work is great to look at and functional.

I dont expect you to disassemble such a magnificent piece of work, but would greatly value your ideas in the community build. :classic:

Dear I Scream Clone,

thanks for the compliment! I will look into those plates. :classic:

Inspired by the new 10193 medievel market village set I made an interior structure for the castle.

Some living quarters and a bar at the bottom.

Kind regards,

Teddy

09-10-08_1503nr2.jpg

09-10-08_1504nr2.jpg

09-10-08_1505nr2.jpg

Hi, Teddy (and, I Scream Clone). I'm TomC, and I'm new around here. How in the world did you do the arrowslits? And, I'd like to add how much I like the portcullis designs, too. Your castle is one of the more awesome ones I've seen. the added stone extending out from the wall certainly does away with the dull gray wall syndrome, as well as the color scheme you're used to break up the gray. It all really works for me, I'd like to add. The stones extending out: "headlights" to get Studs Not On Top, then tiles?

What a massive amount of brick you're used up!

Outstanding. What else to say... the trees are really nice, too.

tc

Dear Calvin and TomC,

Thanks for the nice compliments! They are highly appriciated. :classic:

The tiles are indeed on top of headlight bricks.

Inspired by the new 10193 medievel market, I've started to add some buidlings to the courtyard.

I also did some interior work.

Any comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

Better photos are in my brickshelf folder when available: here

Kind regards,

Teddy

11-10-08_1941nr2.jpg

11-10-08_1952nr2.jpg

11-10-08_2003nr2.jpg

11-10-08_2001nr2.jpg

11-10-08_1950nr2.jpg

11-10-08_1955nr2.jpg

11-10-08_2000nr2.jpg

11-10-08_1959nr2.jpg

Dear all,

This morning, with better lighting, I took some general photos of the current layout.

Kind regards,

Teddy

12-10-08_1312nr2.jpg

12-10-08_1313nr2.jpg

Great Inn!

It looks better and better. :thumbup::classic:

the waterwell looks also good.

Do you show it on Legoworld Zwolle?

Edited by Wout

This just looks better and better Teddy!

Your last two pictures wich shows interior and exterior of the castle are so different from how it looked in the beginning, and I atleast think it's been a great improvment over time :)

The courtyard buildings look very good, and it's fun to see how you don't need the fourth wall in the building when you can put it against your castle wall. Also, now I see added benefit to the extra height of your walls. The buildings add a lot of 'feeling' to the castle I think.

Looking at the outside, I wonder if a small guardpost at the beginning of the bridge would look good? You have a forest on one side and a small building on the other side could balance it off, and at the same time break up the "castle symmetry" if it's made in grey/bley.

Keep up the good work! :)

Dear Wout and Cakeman,

thanks for the nice replies!

Great Inn!

It looks better and better.

the waterwell looks also good.

Do you show it on Legoworld Zwolle?

No I wont be showing anything in Zwolle, I will be there as a visiter though. :classic:

This just looks better and better Teddy!

Your last two pictures wich shows interior and exterior of the castle are so different from how it looked in the beginning, and I atleast think it's been a great improvment over time :)

The courtyard buildings look very good, and it's fun to see how you don't need the fourth wall in the building when you can put it against your castle wall. Also, now I see added benefit to the extra height of your walls. The buildings add a lot of 'feeling' to the castle I think.

Looking at the outside, I wonder if a small guardpost at the beginning of the bridge would look good? You have a forest on one side and a small building on the other side could balance it off, and at the same time break up the "castle symmetry" if it's made in grey/bley.

Keep up the good work! :)

Thanks for the compliment on the courtyard buildings. I took some better quality photos of them.

I am considering to make some changes to the landscape, so I might try how a guardpost would turn out.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Better quality photos:

17-10-08_1137nr2.jpg

17-10-08_1136nr2.jpg

17-10-08_1138nr2.jpg

17-10-08_1142nr2.jpg

17-10-08_1144nr2.jpg

17-10-08_1145nr2.jpg

17-10-08_1147nr2.jpg

17-10-08_1148nr2.jpg

Great MOC Teddy! I'm looking foward to seeing it complete with great anicipation. And really, if you have enough bricks to build that and the Victory, you have absolutley no life! Only joking! :tongue: Great work Teddy. You are a very skillful LEGO modeler. Keep it up! :thumbup: