• Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

4500 Rebel Snow Speeder review

Parts: 214

Figs: 3

Price: £20.00

EDIT: New box pics added sorry they're a bit blurry because of the light I took them in.

This is the original trilogy edition version of this set but there aren't any differences to the normal one.

1. Manual & Box

The front of the OTE box

dscn2095.jpg

The minifgs on the box top.

dscn2096.jpg

The back of the box with some alternate models and overview of some of the functions.

dscn2098.jpg

The manual cover. You can see it is the OTE version of the set.

dscn1970.jpg

Random shot.

dscn1971.jpg

1 of 2 posters in the instructions.

dscn1972.jpg

The second poster.

dscn1973.jpg

2. General set and minifigs

The built set contents.

dscn1974.jpg

The three figs with the included weapons.

dscn2074.jpg

How I like to customize the pilots helmets.

dscn1975.jpg

Luke from 4500 and Luke from 10178 Motorized AT-AT.

dscn1976.jpg

The three helmets included with the set.

dscn1977.jpg

3. Turret

Here's the turret with the Rebel gunner standing next to it.

dscn1978.jpg

The controls for the turret :tongue:.

dscn1979.jpg

The turret can rotate and tilt two fire at those pesky AT-AT walkers.

dscn1981.jpg

I put a spider web sort of radar dish thing on like on the original 7130 to make it look more like the one from TESB.

dscn1980.jpg

4. The Speeder

A front view of the speeder.

dscn1939.jpg

The pilot controls with a AT-AT print.

dscn1940.jpg

The seats for the pilot and rear gunner.

dscn1941.jpg

The rear gunner's tow cable.

dscn1942.jpg

A detailed printed plate next to the engines.

dscn1943.jpg

Printed plates under the air-brake things.

dscn1944.jpg

More printed parts, there is no DSS with this set.

dscn1945.jpg

Got tie up those walkers. We might need some more tow cable :hmpf_bad:.

dscn1946.jpg

5. Overall

Build: 7/10 Pretty symmetrical build but it's fun.

Minifigs: 8/10 3 figs in a £20 set is pretty good I think.

Design: 9/10 Very strong and close to minifig scale. The turret could have some work though.

Parts: 8/10 lot's of variety and includes some interesting ones such as the cockpit and rear air vent.

Price: 7/10 3 figs and 214 parts not to bad I guess.

Playability: 6/10 Could be better if it came with a Snow Trooper.

Overall: 8/10 The set comes with 3 figs that only come with more expensive sets, also it has a variety of different parts as well as the build being enjoyable.

Edited by Skipper 24
indexed

Thanks for the review.

This is another good SW set.

A true classic.

I especially like the colourscheme of this set. The rebel gun is crappy though, but overall the set rocks.

KimT

I once bought a entire Lego collection including this set.

However, I never have build it.

Seeing this fine review has given me new motivation to do so.

Nice work again Skipper!

Skipper, thanks for doing up all these SW Reviews. It certainly had given me some valuable insights on these sets especially on the Snowspeeder. It kind of making me regret to pass off this set. However, I had bought the hoth base instead but had never built it. I am just wondering if the snowspeeder had any difference?

Keep up the good work and always strive your best to make each upcoming review a better one. :sweet:

There isn't much difference apart form it has stickers on and is grey. Also the guns and tow cable gun are different as well as the engines. But if you look at pictures of the Hoth base speeder not to much is noticeable.

I have mixed feelings about this set. It's one of the sets that sent my into a dark age (the birth of my son contributed heavily).

When I first saw this set I was convinced that the earlier Snowspeeder (7130) was superior in every way. I liked the look of the 7130 version better, I liked the coloration of it better. The turret was better (it used a webbed 6 x 6 dish).

After seeing this review, I realize I was wrong on some accounts. The cockpit is much more movie accurate. The 7130 version had two separate compartments. This version also came with a tow cable, something that was lacking from the previous set. While I still am unimpressed with the overall look of this set, it is much less blocky, which is always a good thing.

Overall, I still prefer 7130 to the 4500 version. But the 4500 isn't nearly as bad as I first assumed, and I regret never buying one of these when I had my chance.

Great review! I bought this set when it came out but sold it a couple years later for some extra cash. I have no regrets selling this one, as I was never really impressed with it (different story for the 4483 AT-AT - oh how I wish I still had that one). The snowspeeder was alright, just didn't have any sort of "wow" factor to it. The best part of the set is probably the Rebel Trooper.

Looking at the last photo in your review, looks like you're about to have a major battle in your hallway. Apart from the snowspeeder & motorized AT-AT, I see the ARC-170 Fighter, Grievous's starfighter, and is that a podracer I see -- and what is the set with the treads? It's not Star Wars, but looks like a pretty cool set (maybe a Mission Mars vehicle).

Podracer not sure where you got that from (I didn't have them out)? The set with treads is a Dino 2010 thing which fits in well after a bit of modding. Also there are some of the old EXO-Force sets out there like the Fire Vulture because I always saw them fitting well with Star Wars.

Podracer not sure where you got that from (I didn't have them out)?

I noticed the minifig between the Grievous starfighter & the mod-Dino2010 vehicle and it looked like a little person sitting in the pod of his podracer. Guess my eyes are playing tricks on me :wacko: -- my eyesight is shot & my wife keeps pushing me to go visit the optometrist.

Nope there is a guy sitting there. He's there because on Dine 2010 there were no guns like on Dino attack, so so I made a big gun like on the Dino attack set. I can see where you got the pod racer idea from now.

Ahem! Please get back on topic guys :hmpf:

They spelt Dack's name wrong :tongue:

Good set though.

No they didn't.

Read this. You'll find the answer close the end of the article.

I really liked this set. It was simple to build, yet detailed and included three figures, which was nice. If only Lego would do a few more Hoth sets, then we could make a real battle.

I find myself so stupid I didn't bought this set. It was 30 euro and I thought that it would be for sale after a half year. (It was with earlier sw sets also).

Nice review.

Thanks for the rewiev!

A nice set indeed, to bad i din´t buy it when it still

was in the stores.

You have to love the originals, well I didn't like the very first snowspeeder so this is the original to me. I like it more then the new one that comes with the Echo Base, beter color scheme and more realistic i think. I got this set in stores and still love it to this day =]