Wes

Schooner Geisha

There aren't too many Schooner type ships out there.

After seeing this one, i think i really like them in Lego form. :pir-sweet:

Good work Wes! :thumbup:

This will make a fine addition to the Ship Index, :pir-wub:

once i update the index. :pir-grin:

Phredit: Added this MOC to the Index of MOC Ships.

3 Cannos in a row are looking really nice! It's nice to see someone made a cabinet for a ship as small as this. But maybe if the corners of that cabinet would be more roundish it wouldn't look so oversized

Anyway, nice job!

I am liking this a lot. It makes a good ship out of a not so good boat. The schooner idea for the sails is also quite cool!

I love this little ship.

But I would raise the sides so you can make gunports.

And at the s

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Raising the sides and adding gunports: I prefer to keep the cannons on the deck, so I can move them around if needed. Basically, I don't want to be trapped with broadside guns on only one side of the ship. With the guns on deck, my crew can roll them to face port, starboard, or even diagonally.

Schooner sails: I love the schooner design and it's something that fits pirates (they loved schooners) but wasn't found in any Lego sets, so I figured I'd try it. The only consideration/drawback is that you have to watch out for the boom on the bottom of the mainsail. It limits the height of your sterncastle and can make the poop deck a dangerous place to put anyone (if the wind changes, it could suddenly jib the mainsail and send the boom slamming into whoever is standing by it. For this reason, Geisha typically keeps the boom secured with a preventer).

Cabin: I tried to make the sterncastle more rounded than squarish by using slops and inverted slopes on the side, and later by adding an angled aft wall (it opens too, ala 6285). But, for the forward area, I didn't want to obscure the quarterdeck so it's still at a right angle. I'm pondering alternatives.

Index: Thanks for adding Geisha!

Stern too big?: I don't think the stern is too big...I'm going to assume you meant the bowsprit. I extended the bowsprit a little when I added the staysail. Many LEGO ships on the narrow hulls use somewhat undersized sails, but I used a large sail plan with the full-size (even extended) 6285-style masts so a proportionally large bowsprit was a necessity to keep the staysail and the jib from overlapping too much.

Stern too big?: I don't think the stern is too big...I'm going to assume you meant the bowsprit.

I think you've got stern and bow confused - the bow is at the front and the stern is at the back. I tend to agree the "back" looks a little big as though there's a box sitting there.

You're right, I was thinking of the bow for some reason.

Anyway, the "box" is there because I wanted to put a cabin on the ship, and such a cabin has to be tall enough for minifigs to fit in. I have considered making some of the railings lead up to it, but that would obscure some of the quarterdeck (which is bad because sometimes I stick a cannon there). On a later vessel I intend to try it, though, along with higher sides. The jump from the railing to the rooftop is only 3 bricks...it's not that extreme. I am pretty satisfied with the look of the ship.

With Geisha, I think I've achieved a good balance of aesthetics and playability. It's not perfect in either area, but neither are Lego sets.

I am planning to design an improved version in the next 3-4 months, based on some of the suggestions I've got, more studying of ship books, and some ideas of my own.

Nice looking ship Wes. Don't see many schooners here, so it's a very nice change!

I absolutely love the look of those sails! :pir-wub: How did you make them?

Anyway, the "box" is there because I wanted to put a cabin on the ship, and such a cabin has to be tall enough for minifigs to fit in.

You could always go for an "imaginary" stern (e.g., a stern in wich a minifig couldn't actually stand, but one can't tell from the outside).

Now I'm talking about the stern anyway, are those window panes on the right side of the cabin pink, or is that just the light?

Nice looking ship Wes. Don't see many schooners here, so it's a very nice change!

I absolutely love the look of those sails! :pir-wub: How did you make them?

You could always go for an "imaginary" stern (e.g., a stern in wich a minifig couldn't actually stand, but one can't tell from the outside).

Now I'm talking about the stern anyway, are those window panes on the right side of the cabin pink, or is that just the light?

The sails were made from light canvas I got from a fabric store.

I reproduced the LEGO jib (triangular) sails:

1. Trace LEGO sails onto cardstock (a file folder will do) with pencil for the template

2. Cut edge of template along the inner edge of the pencil line (keeps it the original size)

3. Using templates, trace pattern onto the fabric

4. Use anti-fraying solution to harden/secure the edges and dots where the holes will be cut. Wait for it to dry.

5. Cut out the sail from the fabric, along the inner edge of the pencil line

6. Carefully cut the holes out.

In the case of the gaff sails, I just tried to emulate LEGO designs by giving them the same size holes and rounded corners. I set the mast on the fabric to estimate the right size.

Originally the side windows were white, but it looked kind of generic, so I bought pink windows instead and put them it. I think they add interest and go with the "geisha" name.

I will consider a "decorative" stern on my new version that I intend to build after I an reunited with my collection...but sadly that might not be until Christmas. I also want to put more sails on the next one (more topsails, maybe a fore topgallant and a flying jib).

Thank you for the comments and suggestions, Mr. Tiber!

Edited by Wes

sloop%20william%20(2).JPG

I'm thinking about modifying the vessel (or its successors) to look more like this.

I'm thinking about modifying the vessel (or its successors) to look more like this.

Then it wouldn't need a captain quarters. :pir-wink:

I love it, you have Geisha as your avatar a long time already and I'm surprised to see her from close.

Your sails are great and fit perfectly on this ship. You've put a realistic rigging on it, according on how a Schooner looks like.

I'm also surprised you've build a ship on the small Armada Flagship hulls. They are narrow and it is hard to build another ship from it.

Great job! :thumbup: