Bonaparte

==> ALL MEMBERS: Please read! <==

Stauder, in the first page, where you said how 'simple typos shouldn't be an offense', well, they aren't. It's downright BAD GRAMMAR that is an offense.

We have a misudnerstaing here. What I meant is that typos are accapteble (Look at my title for megablock's sake). :thumbup:

Stauder.

We have a misunderstanding here. What I meant is that typos are acceptable (Look at my title for megablock's sake). :thumbup:

Stauder.

That's bad grammar in your title which is what I would consider an offense and worthy of prosecution. :sceptic:

However, the ones in your post(which I corrected :grin: ) are typos unless you do them on purpose. :tongue:

However, the ones in your post(which I corrected :grin: ) are typos unless you do them on purpose. :tongue:

Point Proven.

The title is exagerated yes, but it shows that I am prone to typos (there are 4 words in my sig. One has a typo).

Stauder.

Point Proven.

The title is exagerated yes, but it shows that I am prone to typos (there are 4 words in my sig. One has a typo).

Stauder.

I see... It should read:

EB NEWS PEASANTS

:tongue:

Wait, what do you mean 'point proven'? I still don't get what you are saying... :wacko:

Now now, trooperdavinfelth and Stauder can you guys continue this on MSN please.

I would like to ask everyone to only reply in this thread if you have something meaningful to say!

I haven't read the middle pages; only half of the posts on the last page and the first page. I saw a post where someone said something about EB becoming strict like FBTB. EB is not becoming strict like FBTB.

FBTB praises noobs. They rarely yell at people who have relatively crappy grammar.

A large part of the reason I fell out with FBTB* is that I wass annoyed with people that couldn't use half decent English spelling or grammar. I was threatened with a ban, which might shock some people here.

I didn't realise that it was a multi-national forum (I was very new to forums, then). I learned from my mistake and brought a new outlook here. That outlook meant just accepting people's English (within reason, there are posts that I just don't have the time or motivation to try to decipher).

I agree that the forum should strive to be accessible to all and not have a childish tone, but this can go too far. Potentially very good members could be put off.

What's your stance on dyslexic members?

* waits for Bony to reinforce that he doesn't care about other forums. I would argue that you need to learn from others' achievements and their mistakes.

Now now, trooperdavinfelth and Stauder can you guys continue this on MSN please.

I would like to ask everyone to only reply in this thread if you have something meaningful to say!

Jeez, it seems "Bonaparte" is an increasingly appropriate handle.

Honestly, while I get the reason for these rules, I think the overall execution is a bit strict. On a board with members from many countries with other main languages besides English, enforcing high standards of grammar is a bit overkill, IMO.

I mean, members like snefroe and Vader rarely capitalized their "I"s, but because are such great members nobody gives a darn. Do these new guidelines mean that those members shouldn't be taken seriously because english isn't their first language? This rule could lead to all sorts of problems, and I for one am not especially happy about it. :sadnew:

The main problem here is not grammar, but inteligence of posting. You don't need perfect grammar to make a meaningful post, and it especially shouldn't be expected of you if you don't speak english as your first language. On the flip side, great grammar means nothing if the post is pointless. Take a look at these imaginary posts: which one do you think is better?

good moc, the detail look fantastic. however, i think the colors could be better and i don't really like the stand that much. great job, keep working on it and itll be even better.
Sorry, but this MOC doesn't look good at all. I bet I could make a much better MOC easily!

Or how about these two fictional replies to the Official 2008 sets topic? Which one do you think adds more to the discussion?

Yeah! These kits rock, and I'll get 10 of every one! 11/10!
i don't like the twilight at all, but the rest are great. however, i wish that the at-te and gunship had more clones and droids. i think that a set as big as the gunship should have more minifigs than the droid battlepack last year.

"I have a very bad feeling about this...." - Luke Skywalker

Honestly, while I get the reason for these rules, I think the overall execution is a bit strict. On a board with members from many countries with other main languages besides English, enforcing high standards of grammar is a bit overkill, IMO.

I mean, members like snefroe and Vader rarely capitalized their "I"s, but because are such great members nobody gives a darn. Do these new guidelines mean that those members shouldn't be taken seriously because english isn't their first language? This rule could lead to all sorts of problems, and I for one am not especially happy about it. :sadnew:

The main problem here is not grammar, but inteligence of posting. You don't need perfect grammar to make a meaningful post, and it especially shouldn't be expected of you if you don't speak english as your first language. On the flip side, great grammar means nothing if the post is pointless. Take a look at these imaginary posts: which one do you think is better?

Or how about these two fictional replies to the Official 2008 sets topic? Which one do you think adds more to the discussion?

"I have a very bad feeling about this...." - Luke Skywalker

Obviously the first and the second of the first two and the second two. The first actually comments on what he likes. The second is rather rude and gives no reason for his rudeness.

In the second group the same facts apply, kinda. The first one is what a noob would say and promptly be ignored. :tongue: The second gives one some food for thought, whereas no one would want to comment about the first one.

The way I see it(now, anyway :tongue: ) is that as long as you make people want to talk about what you spoke about, as long as the words are spelled correctly enough to be recognized and sentences are punctuated we can all be happy about it. Right? :sweet:

You know, Grevious, you have some very good points in there. I agree that asking members to have perfect grammar/ punctuation/ capitalization is a little bit of an overkill, but then again, some members do need to improve on those things. And Bonaparte did say (I think) that messages have to be meaningful. He shouldn't even have to say these things, every member should have read them when they first joined!

Edited by JimButcher

* waits for Bony to reinforce that he doesn't care about other forums. I would argue that you need to learn from others' achievements and their mistakes.

I don't care about ... :laugh:

I'm a member on a zillion online Lego boards (and some non Lego ones), so I'm learning from all those places. However, each forum has his own culture. But blind to the world outside EBs I am not :wink:

I agree that the forum should strive to be accessible to all and not have a childish tone, but this can go too far. Potentially very good members could be put off.

I agree that this could go to far, but that won't happen here. We know exactly how far we want to go. It all comes down to this: We want all members to do the best they can to write in a mature and decent manner. Several were a bit lazy and really not taking the time to write better. Just compare posts from some members before and after I started this and you will see what I mean. I'm not a native English speaker and my English is far from perfect. This is still a board about Lego and not about the English language.

What's your stance on dyslexic members?

Euhm, what do you suggest? They can always let the staff know they are dyslexic and we'll take that into account.

Jeez, it seems "Bonaparte" is an increasingly appropriate handle.

I'll take that as a compliment captain :laugh:

The staff allowing members under the age limit should be seen as a privilege granted to individual members.

It's also a European LEGO collecting site is it not? (Or have I misinterpreted the site's title?)

Will you be evicting those members who don't live in Europe too?

;)

Bonaparte - listen to some advice from someone who has been in your shoes and went down the road you are going: don't get hung up on people using bad spelling or grammar. Encourage them to use their keyboard to the full extent, but don't police people for not complying with your wishes. I can asure you that absolutely no good will come of any kind of approach that has no flexibility on it. You've got a nice little community here and you really don't need to rock the boat. If the members don't want to read L33T speak then allow them to post comments in threads that will create a ripple of amusement in order to send the right message. If they don't post such comments then you can assume that not everyone shares your view. Handling this any other way will eventually result in someone rolling the "nazi" badge out - and that never goes down well. Learn from someone who has experienced all of this - relax, man!

Jeremy

Edited by LEGOscum

Good point Bonaparte. But when I forget to dot my I's or start my sentence with a capital... I won't be editing it... :tongue:

I think you're half right, but when I say this I don't mean this insultingly at all. Remember Eurobricks is less formal than school, but more formal than Roblox. Which would you rather be stuck in? I'd be in the middle. As long as you use good grammer and good wrting skills you're good, right? As long as you dont use too many typos or smileys.

For an example, you'd probably prefer the sentence above compared to this:

i think ur half rite but wen i say this i dont mean this insoltunhly atall!. remember eurobricks is less formal than skool but more formal then ROBLOX WHICH WULD U RATHER BE STUCK IN????????? Id be in the MIDDLE as long as u use god gramer an GOOD WRTIN SKILLS ur good rite? lol as long as u dont use 2 many typos or smileys :tongue::cry_sad::sceptic::sceptic::sceptic::sceptic::pirate::pirate::pirate::knight::knight::knight::pirate:

So I'm basically saying is that laid-backiness should be allowed but not to chatroom extent.

It's also a European LEGO collecting site is it not? (Or have I misinterpreted the site's title?)

Will you be evicting those members who don't live in Europe too?

Eurobricks started as the European Lego fans community, but has evolved into a global community about those wonderful bricks from Europe (Lego is still a European company). Also you should read what's in our banner on the main forum :wink:

Bonaparte - listen to some advice from someone who has been in your shoes and went down the road you are going: don't get hung up on people using bad spelling or grammar. Encourage them to use their keyboard to the full extent, but don't police people for not complying with your wishes. I can asure you that absolutely no good will come of any kind of approach that has no flexibility on it. You've got a nice little community here and you really don't need to rock the boat. If the members don't want to read L33T speak then allow them to post comments in threads that will create a ripple of amusement in order to send the right message. If they don't post such comments then you can assume that not everyone shares your view. Handling this any other way will eventually result in someone rolling the "nazi" badge out - and that never goes down well. Learn from someone who has experienced all of this - relax, man!

I thank you for all your advise and good suggestions. I've been on this board for quite some time now and have seen the SW forum evolve more and more in the direction of a chat room over time (probably because SW is popular theme for "kids"). So yes, myself and the staff feel that we need to "rock the boat" in our Star Wars forum and bring it back to a higher level of quality. Actually, I'm only demanding that members follow the EB's guidelines they all agreed to while registering. Nothing more, nothing less.

So I'm basically saying is that laid-backiness should be allowed but not to chatroom extent.

Sure, I agree with this. But lately several members were leaning more towards chatroom talk. My message (see first post of this thread, 7 pages back already) is directed towards those members.

Also you should read what's in our banner on the main forum :wink:

Did you not note that I ended my first comment with a wink? It means I was joking.

I've been on this board for quite some time now and have seen the SW forum evolve more and more in the direction of a chat room over time (probably because SW is popular theme for "kids").

This might explain where all the LEGO SW younglings that hung out at RS have gone in the last year :)

Actually, I'm only demanding that members follow the EB's guidelines they all agreed to while registering. Nothing more, nothing less.

The guidelines you lay out in your first post of this thread is very clear, concise and polite but the tone that has followed in later posts is much darker and sinister. Perhaps you are getting a little annoyed with people contradicting your intentins.

I'll leave it go, but hopefully you'll see my advice as worthy of considering.

Jeremy

The guidelines you lay out in your first post of this thread is very clear, concise and polite but the tone that has followed in later posts is much darker and sinister. Perhaps you are getting a little annoyed with people contradicting your intentins.

Sometimes, big words aren't neccesary. You don't always have to use your proper grammer and have your hair rolled up in a bun, you just can't let loose with 8-year-old MSN stuff like the new members. For an example... this sentence. No offence, but I couldn't read up to "you posts have become much darker and sinister, Bonaparte..." without having to stop to laugh. Just talk like you're friends and not on for a job interview. But don't try to sneak in a lol or an rofl because... seriously. We're all grown up by now I hope. Besides, people make more typos when there are bigger words, like "intentions".

calling eachother gay and telling eachother to "go f@*&" eachother. It's probably going to ruin this generation.

Already has.

Using those abriations are annoying, how difforent is WTF then saying What the _____? I have seen that here, once or twice. Also, grammer is a good point, it is hard to read things sometimes when they are like this:

:-( ? did lego -> tha set wch we don't :) wen they know we :( :cry_sad: I :alien: tht set;(

(Why did Lego make that set which we don't like. Id hate that set.)

I haven't seen that here, at least not yet, but that is a quate from another lego-orianted site. Lets try and follow some importent rules:

1) Capitalize beginnings of sentinces, names (ex. Lego), ect.

2) Do not use lol, wtf, ect. (ex. wtf, i just lol when i see that show)

3) Use complete sentinces when possable. (ex. The mouse ran up the steps.)

4) End sentinces with a correct mark (ex. .?!)

5) Do not use *, or$^%$# to stand in for bad words (ex. What the **** is he $%#@ing doing)

Of coarse you shouldn't disregard the forum rules.

You should know these rules I learned them (or most of them) in 1st grade, and if a teacher looked at it she souldn't have a problem with it.

Please edit this if my use of language (i.e in my rules) should be ramoved, and I'm sorry I'm sounding to moderator-ish for a normal member.

"you posts have become much darker and sinister, Bonaparte..."

Just talk like you're friends and not on for a job interview.

people make more typos when there are bigger words, like "intentions".

1) if you are going to quote somebody's post then get it right.

2) I write like I speak. If you don't like that then just skip my posts.

3) if you are going to correct people's spelling you really should try harder - "grammer" is spelled grammar

4) intentions and other words of three syllables are not considered long words

I'm beginning to think that this forum has become over sensitive to youth culture. You guys are trying to prevent people from using LOL, TTYL and such but you carry on using LEGO abbreviations like RGS, MOC and AFOL. What is the difference between using modern conversational shortcuts and those that have grown up in the LEGO community? Nothing that I can see.

For the sake of Dovchenko I am translating that last paragraph into short and more friendly words so he can understand:

You are all too pissy with the kids. Sure, why can't they say LOL and stuff like that when you all use AFOL and other LEGO slangs? It's all dope, yo.

I really don't know why I'm letting Dovchenko get under my skin, he's only 13 after all, which is nearly one third my age.

If you think that teenspeak is being promoted by the younger forum members then enforce the age limit in the registration process. But it won't stop everyone from using some l33t speak because even so-called adults slip into it from time to time. Even stuffy, over-educated authors with their hair rolled up in a bun like me.

Edited by LEGOscum

Thanks for putting this up.I have noticed too that there is some unmature answers to the forums.I will definetly follow the rules too my best!

Already has.

Using those abriations are annoying, how difforent is WTF then saying What the _____? I have seen that here, once or twice. Also, grammer is a good point, it is hard to read things sometimes when they are like this:

(Why did Lego make that set which we don't like. Id hate that set.)

I haven't seen that here, at least not yet, but that is a quate from another lego-orianted site. Lets try and follow some importent rules:

1) Capitalize beginnings of sentinces, names (ex. Lego), ect.

2) Do not use lol, wtf, ect. (ex. wtf, i just lol when i see that show)

3) Use complete sentinces when possable. (ex. The mouse ran up the steps.)

4) End sentinces with a correct mark (ex. .?!)

5) Do not use *, or$^%$# to stand in for bad words (ex. What the **** is he $%#@ing doing)

Of coarse you shouldn't disregard the forum rules.

You should know these rules I learned them (or most of them) in 1st grade, and if a teacher looked at it she souldn't have a problem with it.

Please edit this if my use of language (i.e in my rules) should be ramoved, and I'm sorry I'm sounding to moderator-ish for a normal member.

Comedy genius! Surely there are enough spelling mistakes / grammatical errors in this one post to warrant a warning from the power hungry mods?! ;)

You are all too pissy with the kids. Sure, why can't they say LOL and stuff like that when you all use AFOL and other LEGO slangs? It's all dope, yo.

:laugh: I couldn't help but laugh at that one and you do bring up some valid points.

I think the problem here is laziness. If everyone tried harder to have proper grammar and spelling in their posts, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

That said, I'm not picking on the people who don't spell well, I am picking on the people who don't make an effort. I'll bet everyone on this board knows the basic conventions of english. All Bonaparte is asking is that we take time to use them and make Eurobricks a better and more mature place as a result.

I'm beginning to think that this forum has become over sensitive to youth culture. You guys are trying to prevent people from using LOL, TTYL and such but you carry on using LEGO abbreviations like RGS, MOC and AFOL. What is the difference

The difforence is that almost all the people on this site know the Lego ones, while it may be hard for people from other countries that don't speak English in their homes, and other places to understand lol, or TTYL.

Also, most Lego abbreviations like AFOL stand for longer phrases, like Adult Fan Of Lego. While other phrases, such as lol are simply implying that you are laughing. I'm a 14 year old, I've never used those abrieviations much, and I don't see any reason to use them.

Spelling is another matter, many people are bad at spelling, so it shouldn't be brought against them. I personally can't spell worth a dime, and about half the people I know can't eithor (Hey, could it be contagious?).

Also, most Lego abbreviations like AFOL stand for longer phrases, like Adult Fan Of Lego. While other phrases, such as lol are simply implying that you are laughing.

Actually "lol" is short for "laughing out loud" (17 characters including the spaces). As you say, AFOL is short for "Adult Fan of Lego" (17 characters including the spaces) so both abbreviations are perfectly valid, saving the user the same about of time in typing ;)

In reality, there is nothing wrong with abbreviations. There are probably the same number of abbreviations which are specific to Lego as there are "text speak" which I don't recognise. They have their place in the written word, especially on forums but they have to be used in the right way, i.e. not used for all words in a sentence.

At the same time, there is nothing really wrong with the odd spelling mistake or grammatical error. The contents of this forum are not meant to be literary masterpieces ... it's a discussion board. It's a futile mission to make sure everyone writes in proper english with the exact grammar.

Seems like I am not the only one pointing out the flaws here, based on experience of other forums. Sadly, it seems, whilst such opinions are read, it's going to make no difference.