Sign in to follow this  
Lasse D

Speed Racer Mach 5 MOC

theaterindex.gif

See post 4 for new version.

Let me start out with a small disclaimer. I have not seen the movie, nor the anime series. I simply like the sets (apart from the tragic truck).

We have already seen great MODs of the Mach 5, such as the one from Brainbox where he included some gimmicks from the movie. I'm going in a different direction.

One of my favorite styles is 7 studs wide race cars, so here's my Mach 5 (limited Lasse edition):

1front1.jpg

The M on the front can't be made of stickers, but it is such an important part of the design, that I had to include it - the same goes for the round markers on the sides.

down.jpg

Without any idea of what the engine looks like, I included an 8 cylinder boxer engine. Or rather, to piss off one of my reviewers at MOCpages: a V8 boxer engine:

v8engine.jpg

rear.jpg

I have taken some parts from the official set in order to build this version, so I had to open a MISB Gran Prix for this comparison - now it has to be built later today (great excuse, eh?)

compare1.jpg

compare2.jpg

compare3.jpg

The official Mach 5 is clearly larger and more solid.

My Mach 5 has unstable 1 stud connections, many weird angles and illegal stud connections, but I prefer the lower and slimmer seating positions - the wind screen is actually at eye level now!

Brickshelf gallery with even more pictures. Go up a couple of times for my other race cars

Better than the licensed one. The detail is perfect, great work. :classic:

Thanks, but I can see my contribution is falling short in the forest of Mach 5 remakes (see brickshelf). The nose is a bit too long and not rounded enough, and the engine is terrible.

Edit

The moderation came through with the latest version.

A new nose with a longer "M" and an engine with more details

1front.jpg

rear1.jpg

The cockpit and rear end stays unchanged

rear2.jpg

But the shape, seen from the front, is now more accurate

top.jpg

The new engine

engine.jpg

I have counted the parts from the official Mach 5: 115 (+ driver).

This Mach 5 has 216 (+ driver)

parts.jpg

Edited by Lasse D

I definitely prefer the newer version. The first go had some pretty nice bits, and it's good to see that they're what's been carried through. The nose from above, like you say, is very accurate. Having done my own, I know it's difficult to get all the different smooth curves in, as there are an awful lot and it's hard to do that in Lego. But considering you wanted to do something from scratch rather than a MOD and especially without using the stickers, I think you've done a fantastic job.

We have already seen great MODs of the Mach 5, such as the one from Brainbox where he included some gimmicks from the movie.

:laugh: Thanks for the advertisement.

You already showed me version 1 wich was great, but now with these new mods it is even cooler. :thumbup:

I especially like the size of this baby, and the new engine is way cooler! :wub:

Here is a picture of the original to compare, it claerly shows the larger M:

speedracer_mach5.gif

And oh yeah, it is a boxer engine :tongue:

Thanks, and here is a rear shot:

naias08_mach5_02.jpg

When I said there were a lot of great MODs and MOCs out there (so I had to improve :tongue: ), I wasn't kidding:

MarkChan

This one has a great way to make the sides of the cockpit, and smooth curves on the front. 8 wide.

Here is a MOD with an alternate color scheme, wheels and just a little more detail.

1816 again

8 wide MOC with gadgets and sculpted paintwork.

1816 again, again

Now 10 wide with added flaring for smoother lines (compared with the one above)

bsegal

Maxifig version!

cjdoyle

MOD. The mirror seems to be one of the mostly missed details of the official set.

1816 ^^

Pocket racer version! Why does LEGO repeat the designs of the racers when they could do something like this!?

mikepsiaki

7-8 wide MOC with a lot of odd angled pieces :blush: This guy even sculpted the paintwork as well!

As a long time Speed Racer fan, I can say for sure that you are on the right track. (pun not intended.) My favourite part is the windscreen. It's positioned perfectly.