Sign in to follow this  
Swab

The HMS Achilles (new stuff)

thindexedgif.gif 56d

Ok, after receiving some very helpful tips I have rebuilt the main gun deck with each gun 3 studs apart.

with_crew.jpg

I don't know why I never tried this before--even after I saw numerous ships on Brickshelf with at least 3 studs. It looks so much better--more flowing i guess you could say. :pir-grin:

I've also added cat heads and anchors (a detail I've been meaning to add). I also removed the lowest spar on each mast, and I'm replacing them with just lines. It's more detailed that way, and I get extra spar parts. :pir-sweet:

forecastle.jpg

pict0919.jpg

pict0920.jpg

starboard_side.jpg

Thanks a bunch for the advice everyone. More ships coming soon!

P.S sorry for the image size, I'm technologically challenged so I don't know how to down size them. :pir-cry_sad:

looks great!

i am glad you found the CC that was provided useful. i look forward to your next ships!

it looks very well proportioned.

i am confident she alone could sink my fleet!

Regards Cpt. PB

A true masterpiece :pir-wub:. I like some many things about this ship. First of all, the color schema works perfect and it's got a fantastic looking thumblehome effect. The ship seen from the sides look great (colors + thumblehome). Also, this ship has lots of details that I like.

I've got some questions for you :pir-sweet:

- How much hull mid sections did you use?

- Does the ship have an interior?

- Did you make some kind of hatch for the crew to move to the gun deck?

- Most important: Can you take some extra pictures? I would love to see one of the stern of this ship. I can't see that in any of these pics.

I've got some questions for you :pir-sweet:

- How much hull mid sections did you use?

- Does the ship have an interior?

Yes and no....

- Did you make some kind of hatch for the crew to move to the gun deck?

Another detail I'll be adding shortly.

- Most important: Can you take some extra pictures? I would love to see one of the stern of this ship. I can't see that in any of these pics.

I'll probably be adding pictures in the future as I add things to the ship, but if you would like to see pictures now, there's some on Brickshelf; search Achilles.

Glad you like it!

Swab

I'll probably be adding pictures in the future as I add things to the ship, but if you would like to see pictures now, there's some on Brickshelf; search Achilles.

Ah, here is what I was looking for:

stern.jpg

For those interested: The Brickshelf Gallery

It was already a beauty, but these new modifications make it a true masterpiece! :thumbup:

Are you planning on ever making cloth sails for her?

Honestly I've always been pretty satisfied with just the paper sails. Although I would like to have that authentic Lego sort of look. what kind of cloth do you use and where might you get it?

Thanks, Swab

What a beauty! Almost makes me wanna return to building big ships myself. :pir-classic: Good job with the sails - they're very complex and realistic! And I envy you the abundance of cannons used to protect this magnificent vessel. :pir-tongue:

I wish I could do this. Looks very nice, very cool without question. Lots of realism and meat to your ship, all those neat white sails and tens of hundreds... of thousands of cannons. I'm sure that could sink ISLANDS. That's saying something, seeing as Islands don't sink. :pir-tongue: Professional job!

Honestly I've always been pretty satisfied with just the paper sails. Although I would like to have that authentic Lego sort of look. what kind of cloth do you use and where might you get it?

Thanks, Swab

I use a cheap IKEA curtain that almost looks like the broadcloth lego uses.

I then smeer it completely with white glue, then iron and then cut it.

After that treatment you can draw anything you like on it :pir-wink:

Here's an interior shot (after I did a little work on it). :pir-classic:

interior.jpg

Also, I painted the top portion of the bow and stern hull sections to help fill out the whole color scheme.

painted_hull_piece.jpg

starboard_quarter.jpg

Thanks again,

Swab