Sign in to follow this  
Conchas

Some reviews for 2H2008 TECHNIC sets/parts

As you guys use to publish here some sets reviews, I decided to let you know a few reviews I made at TechnicBRICKs for the 2H2008 new TECHNIC sets and parts.

I believe it doesn't justify the effort to copy and format everything here, so I decided for a few links if you don't mind.

8294, Excavator - Review

http://technicbricks.blogspot.com/2008/07/...-excavator.html

Linear Actuators Review - Part I

http://technicbricks.blogspot.com/2008/07/...-pf-linear.html

New parts at 8297, Off Roader

http://technicbricks.blogspot.com/2008/07/...s-included.html

In the next days, I plan to add a few more reviews. Namely:

- Linear Actuators Review - Part II >> 2008.Aug.03, done this! http://technicbricks.blogspot.com/2008/08/...-pf-linear.html

- 8297, Off Roader - Review

Have a nice reading! :wink:

I've been waiting for you to post these; I looked them over a few days ago and even made a comment on one. As for re-posting them here, as much as I would like you to, considering the popularity of Technic on EB it probably isn't worth your time Mr Ambassador. :wink:

I look forward to the upcoming reviews... especially the one for 8297. :wub:

Remembered today, it could worth.

Well... lets say it would worth if it serves to increase the TECHNIC interest, among EB readers. :wink:

Well... lets say it would worth if it serves to increase the TECHNIC interest, among EB readers. :wink:

Thank you for the reminder. I in fact already read your reviews about the excavator and the actuators, but now I look foreward to the Actuator part 2 writing. I still do not 100 % understand its functions/posebillities.

It's really nice to see new Technic parts, and I think there is more to come in the future, that will make many a Technic-builder happy :classic:

Those were excellent articles and really examined the new pieces in a lot of detail. :thumbup:

The new excavator seems to be inferior to the old 8851 though, since its reliance on the linear actuators limits the bucket arm to two degrees of freedom instead of three. I like the idea of the linear actuators but I think this particular model was not a good place to use them instead of pneumatics. In general, this year's set lineup doesn't particularly interest me, but many of those parts look very useful. I might get an excavator anyway just for the linear actuators and treads, and definitely want to pick up the new lights and polarity switch off Bricklink as well.

I've been waiting for you to post these; I looked them over a few days ago and even made a comment on one. As for re-posting them here, as much as I would like you to, considering the popularity of Technic on EB it probably isn't worth your time Mr Ambassador. :wink:

Most of the Technic threads here actually seem to attract a pretty good amount of interest. They just aren't very common. I think there are a decent number of Technic fans here; we just need to start posting more often. :classic:

Most of the Technic threads here actually seem to attract a pretty good amount of interest. They just aren't very common. I think there are a decent number of Technic fans here; we just need to start posting more often. :classic:

word.

(though I am a less-poster. I even need to be motived (or motivated?) to post something.)

besides: how many "hard-core-technic-fans" are on EB?

Those were excellent articles and really examined the new pieces in a lot of detail. :thumbup:

The new excavator seems to be inferior to the old 8851 though, since its reliance on the linear actuators limits the bucket arm to two degrees of freedom instead of three. I like the idea of the linear actuators but I think this particular model was not a good place to use them instead of pneumatics. In general, this year's set lineup doesn't particularly interest me, but many of those parts look very useful. I might get an excavator anyway just for the linear actuators and treads, and definitely want to pick up the new lights and polarity switch off Bricklink as well.

Hmm.... well i partly agree with this.

My local lego stare finnally got the new techinc sets in stock, so i picked up the new off roader, as well as the excavator. (I really wanted the tellahandler instead of the excavator, but the price was more in my budget). Anyways, i think that this was both a good choice for the new linear actuators, and a not so good place for them. After i built the model and began to play with them i quickly noticed that while the new L-A are very smooth in there operation, they are also slow. Very slow. I can eaily see this hindering the playability. Ahh heck, i does. While trying to scoop up some smaller lego parts and dump them in a box, it took a bit longer than i expected. You also get a bit tired of constantly having to turn the knob at the end. ......But, with the addtion of the new power functions set, all of those problems are taken care of. This et really should have included this stock, and not an option. I will agree that having 3 degrees of movment would have been better than two, but for only using 2 actuators, i still think they got the function of the bucket down preety good.

word.

(though I am a less-poster. I even need to be motived (or motivated?) to post something.)

besides: how many "hard-core-technic-fans" are on EB?

Agreed. Although there may not be as many techinc fans as star wars, or bionicle, the topics have allways generated a good amount of interest, with good discusions to boot.

Linear Actuators Review - Part II, was added.

Thank you for that. It was really worth reading.

One thing that I see as a possible concern with two actuators couple to the same gearing, as that if there is some overload, there maybe is little chance that each linear actuator will slip the same amounts in the clutches, and thereby get the actuators out of sync.

Front

Another great article. I like how thoroughly you examine the internal details of these LAs. Modifying the 8421 crane with them would make a good project, especially if you can connect them to the big RC buggy motor that's already on the crane.

Edited by CP5670

Good reviews! The 8297 new suspension arm is 6 studs long, not 5.5 :classic:

Tht is true, I am not sure why all of the sites lists them at 5.5

they are exactly the same size a a 6L liftarm.