Sign in to follow this  
metalandi

REVIEW: 4210 Coast Guard Platform

index2.jpg

Wow, i think this is the first time i'm the first to have a new set (at least here) and review it. Got it 2 days ago, thanks to a fast shipping from S@H this time, and i found time now to review it now. Enough of the babbling, let's let the facts and pictures speak, which actually turned out pretty well this time. :tongue:

Set Nr.: 4210

Name: Coast Guard Platform

Number of minifigs: 4

Number of pieces: 469

Release Year: 2008

A few shots of the box first:

dsc00001nq3.jpg

dsc00003lg9.jpg

2 Books of Instructions we got here, first one for the helicopter second one for the rest and the platform itself:

dsc00004sn1.jpg

A general overview of the platform from above:

dsc00220bp0.jpg

The 4 minifigs, 3 rescue guys and one oil rig worker (?). The pilot seems not very happy that he has to work in the middle of nowhere at sea :tongue:

dsc00235hw1.jpg

Right beside the entry of the tower we have the diving equipment holder:

dsc00221cf5.jpg

Next, the guy can jump in this little speedboat...

dsc00222hs3.jpg

...and another guy brings it down to water with the crane:

dsc00223tx8.jpg

If somebody is rescued from the air, he arrives here and is brought to the tower with the little moving platform than runs on "rails":

dsc00226ze7.jpg

Down under we got a buoy and several life belts and extinguishers:

dsc00227se9.jpg

With the lift somebody who is rescued by the boat can be brought up. I think it would been better if they would have made a mechanism there to bring it up, but it's okay:

dsc00228ti7.jpg

A few floors higher the sea is being observated and watched:

dsc00229hw4.jpg

dsc00230gm1.jpg

On the ground level we have the medical station/warm-up room:

dsc00232fo9.jpg

The helicopter as stand-alone:

dsc00233cf9.jpg

All in all for me this is besides the police station THE city set of this year. It's got great features, and looks fantastic and also has many useful pieces. You can't do anything wrong with buying it, 10/10 for me! That's all for now, hope you liked my review.

Edit: Oh damn, i forgot to write "review" in the topic title, can a mod please add this? Thanks!

I love this set... and I wish I thought of the bridge piece idea! The only part I don't like is the lift...

Thanks for the great review. :sweet:

Edit: Oh damn, i forgot to write "review" in the topic title, can a mod please add this? Thanks!

Done!

Thanks for the awesome review, metalandi! Your pics are very clear and you go into detail about all the functions of the set. I agree, this is a great set :wub: - one of the best of the CG line for sure, way better than the boat set with the tower on the Bionicle baseplate, and cheaper too. I even like the helicopter better than the oversized version. Lots of great parts and a really nice build by the looks of it too. I can't wait for this to be released in Oz!

Seeing the pictures in this review certainly reinforce my original thoughts on this set: Here's an oil-rig mod waiting to happen...

Very nice review and nice set to boot. Lots of little features that increase the playability.

Great pics too (i remember you had trouble before with the Tower Raid castle set, as i just got mine and was looking to review it, but saw your review in archives.....shakes fist at how slow aussies get sets :laugh: )

Great Reviews On!

Excellent review Metalandi. It's always great to see early pictures of new sets. This set really reminds me of an oil rig, and could probably be easily modified as one (if one wanted an alternate model).

The two components that I like most are the boat crane and the control room, but other sections are pretty slick as well. Are those printed pieces in the control room, or stickers?

I'm really starting to gain an appreciation for these new coast guard sets. They've come a long way over the years:

09set.jpg 575 Coast Guard Station -Released 1978.

I picked up the Control Boat & Tower (7739) a few weeks ago but haven't opened it yet).

In any case, thanks for taking the time to review this set and share it over EB. :thumbup:

Great set and great parts pack as well!

I guess I´m gonna buy this when it´s on sale, just for the orange parts. Excellent for Exo Force :tongue:

Excellent review Metalandi. It's always great to see early pictures of new sets. This set really reminds me of an oil rig, and could probably be easily modified as one (if one wanted an alternate model).

The two components that I like most are the boat crane and the control room, but other sections are pretty slick as well. Are those printed pieces in the control room, or stickers?

I'm really starting to gain an appreciation for these new coast guard sets. They've come a long way over the years:

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/brickster4/...Guard/09set.jpg 575 Coast Guard Station -Released 1978.

I picked up the Control Boat & Tower (7739) a few weeks ago but haven't opened it yet).

In any case, thanks for taking the time to review this set and share it over EB. :thumbup:

First, thanks to all your great response for my review, i'm glad you like this set aswell.

As it comes to stickers, the tiles ant slopes in the control room are printed pieces! The rest as coast guard logo patterns and so on are stickers. I forgot to make a photo of the sticker sheet unfortunately :hmpf_bad:

I :wub: It!!

I dont think i'm gonna buy it but i LOVED the review

Nice Oil Rig worker; he looks so ROUGH

:thumbup:

Undersigned MoWo

Thanks for the great review. :thumbup:

I'm loving this set a lot - it looks well designed, and the helicopter is awesome! Plus, I love the new worker figure with the beard. :classic:

I agree, this is a great set - one of the best of the CG line for sure, way better than the boat set with the tower on the Bionicle baseplate

I wouldn't say that at all - true, this base is bigger, but the other set was well designed as well - plus the included boat is wonderful. :sweet:

Is there any way to order one of these if you don't live in France or one of the countries where S@H sells it?

I don't know really. In which country do you live? I haven't been to my local stores for a while now, so i don't know if they have it there, but maybe i'll find some time tomorrow to check it out.

I don't know really. In which country do you live? I haven't been to my local stores for a while now, so i don't know if they have it there, but maybe i'll find some time tomorrow to check it out.

Heh, I live in Japan (probably the only one here who does), so I don't have S@H at all. :sad: If S@H US or Canada had it (which they don't), I could probably get it forwarded.

the worker looks like he soiled his pants :tongue: um oh yeah... Nice reveiw! very cool set... Im not sure about the bottom floor glass being dark grey and the top floor glass being light blue.

I think it looks good on the real set. I thought, the darker glass might be good on the ground level so the rescued guy has it nice and dark in there :tongue:

Nice review! :thumbup:

This is just the "Crown Jewel" for the Coast Guard theme. I love the layout of its platform. It looks real neat to have it placed it in the midst of the deep blue sea, awaiting of any emergency rescue.

Sometimes, I feel that this set can used it to merge with my Aqua Raiders sets. I thought of using it as a land base, for the raiders to dock in their stuff before submerge into the ocean. Ok, it's just a wierd idea of mine. Just feel that Aqua Raiders and Coast Guard can work hand in hand, since they are naval expertise! :tongue:

It seemed, I can't view all the pictures somehow. Nevertheless, I can still view some of it quite well. I love the command center. The amount of computer printed pieces simply make me smile, with the monitor, keyboard, radar screen and etc. The helicopter is cute too. However, I pity the victim that is loaded at the back. It seemed a little bit too dangerous.

In addition, this set seemed to have quite alot of stickers, which can be quite discouraging. I do hope to see this set soon. So far, I quite like the Current Coast Guard sets. :sweet:

Thanks for the awesome review, metalandi! Your pics are very clear and you go into detail about all the functions of the set. I agree, this is a great set :wub: - one of the best of the CG line for sure, way better than the boat set with the tower on the Bionicle baseplate, and cheaper too. I even like the helicopter better than the oversized version. Lots of great parts and a really nice build by the looks of it too. I can't wait for this to be released in Oz!

Yea great review metalandi :thumbup: But i fail too see how this will be in my budget as well as- Most of the Agents sets + At-te, RGS & V-19 :cry_sad: . I also agree with svelte i like this little chopper better then the big one and it actualy has a place to "stay" instead of the big one theres no landing pad for the big one too go on in any CG set so far.

and its only $80 AUSD :thumbup:

I agree with both of you. First, i have to add, that a few of the stickers were a bit annoying as it comes to put them on espacially the ones on the helicopter, where you have to put them on round parts. But i didn't really see this at a bad point, i really can live with it. Second, it was a very hard decision, believe it or not, on which new set to buy, cause i got a huge 2008 set-wantlist. I guess it'll take some time before i can get most of the other sets i want :tongue:

Do they sell this set in brick-and-mortar stores in Australia?

I have no idea what a brick & motar store is... :look:

:wacko:

I have no idea what a brick & motar store is... :look:

:wacko:

Sorry, I mean physical retail stores (Toys-R-Us, etc.) as opposed to online stores (like Shop@Home). Can you walk into a shop in Brisbane and buy this set off the shelf? If so, I'll get my wife to buy me one when she visits the Land Down Under next month.

Edited by Tenorikuma

Sorry, I mean physical retail stores (Toys-R-Us, etc.) as opposed to online stores (like Shop@Home). Can you walk into a shop in Brisbane and buy this set off the shelf? If so, I'll get my wife to buy me one when she visits the Land Down Under next month.

Well some sets [This CG Platform is one of them] a store exclusive to Toys R Us but most CG and all other LEGO can be found in shops like Target, BigW, Kmart, Myer, Mr.Toys Toy world & David Jones & then there is Toys R Us of course but they are usualy abit more expensive then other retailers but they usualy have the exclusive sets like this one. And its funny you are from Japan because i'am going there in September with my Dad [He's a missionary] and i was wondering where i can find LEGO in japan since i have not been to Japan since 2001 and i was not into LEGO much then. Im sure you guys have a Toys R Us right?

That's a great review of a great City set! :thumbup:

Thank you very much, metalandi! :sweet:

First of all I wanted to buy the 7999 CG Petrol Boat & Tower. But now I surely will buy this amazing platform instead of the 7999 if my local toy seller sells the 4210. Reason: 4210 is something very unusual set (I think we won't get a set similar to that in the next 20 years) and because of I don't like the petrol boat inside (no backwalls :sad: , nearly no interior :thumbdown: ).

Klaus-Dieter

Great review metalandi! Thanks for posting it with a number of pictures, the only question is why Lego decided to produce so many sets I want to buy in one year!