16 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

indexed.gif

Well folks here is my first attempt at a review so you'll have to bear with me a little.

Set: 7673 Magna Guard Starfighter

Contains: 2 Magna Droids

Obtained: 16 July 2008

Price: Euro59.99

First up the box is as expected and is in the new 2008 white and blue colours. The rear promotes the three other clone wars sets due out shortly. The box is opened using the thumb through box method rather than cutting through clear seals. Once opened the box contains 6 bags, 1 sticker sheet, 1 set of instructions and 2 wedge panels.

img_2419.jpg

The first items to be assembled are the two Magna Droids and these look really good. I can confirm that the head piece is what appears to be of normal lego material and is not made of rubber or soft plastic. I haven't seen the cape design before but it seems to be normal cloth. Here is a pic of the Magna Droid.

img_2426_2.jpg

Construction, as expected starts with the cockpit and there is a very neat mechanism to open the canopy. One thing I've noticed recently and it applies equally to this set is that the pieces click together very well with a very satisfying click when attached, something that has been missing occasionally in recent years. The cockpit section is straightforward to construct and is attached to the engines by very secure struts made primarily of plates.

img_2429.jpg

The rear of the cockpit contains an opening mechanism for the flick missiles. At least these are of the friction type which means that they shouldn't fall out while swooshing.

Once the middle section and support for the engines are built its time for the engines and associated weaponry. Before then there are some stickers to be applied. In general the stickers are in easy locations and are not too tight a squeeze unlike those in some sets I could mention.

The engine sections are very well designed and are robustly attached to the main cockpit. There is a fair amount of snot techniques used with the side panels attaching quite securely to the engine frames. The Magna Droid weapons are stored in the rear of these engines which is a nice thought. The remaining stickers are somewhat subtle and wouldn't detract too much from the model if left off. For the last few stickers its easier to apply them to the bricks before attaching the bricks to the model. I did notice that some of the slopes have smooth surfaces and others have rough surfaces but at least bricks of the same type have the same consistency. Some stickers aren't visible in normal display mode because they are covered by the top engine cover.

I really liked the greebling on the side sections and the 'piping' on the front. There is a nice laser (or rocket depending on which way you look at it on the extremeties of the ship.

img_2430.jpg

I found the set a satisfying build with little repetition. It shouldn't take too long to build in normal circumstances but I stopped every so often to take notes and pictures. The minifigures are unique to this set and look very well. Its a pity that its a bit awkward to get the droid into the ship while wearing a cape - real health and safety issues there - the Incredibles comes to mind :classic:

The final ship looks well and has smooth lines, a much better looking ship than Rogue Shadow. It feels very secure when swooshing and doesn't have too many parts likely to break off easily. I could imagine myself getting another one or two of these if the price was right. Euro 59.99 is a bit steep but probably not the worst value out there this side of the Atlantic where many sets seem to be at the Euro74.99 price point. Unfortunately this will be the cheapest of the four most imminent clone wars sets.

post-1554-1216337114.jpg

Enjoy

David

Edited by KimT
indexed

Isn't the V-19 going to be the cheapest? They're all overpriced, though... :sceptic:

Anyway, yay, review! I'm not too sure about the magnaguard- the arms are too blocky, and the trans-red brick on the chest is way too big in comparison to the tiny head. Great ship, though, too bad the AT-TE and Gunship are going to suck up all my money...

Thanks for the great and detailed review! The Magnaguards do look good - almost cute, as if they're kind of trying too hard to be menacing in an endearing kind of way :tongue: Do they stand up well or do they need the staff to prop them up? The ship I'm not sold on, I like the design but the all-bley look is not so nice, and neither is the price.

Thanks again for the review!

Thanks for the review. :sweet: I was looking thought the instructions of this set last week and the cockpit design really impressed me. The finished droids look nice too. But as others have said, the prices seem a little steep so poor me might have to make do with the Death Star... :wink:

Great review! Love the location :wink:

God Bless,

Nathan

An exellent review of an exellent set. I saw the clone gunship in my target today, and if someone wants to send me $70 to buy it, go ahead :tongue:

Would that happen to be an American Target? :classic: That would be great...

Great review! Looking forward to getting this and finally having some guards to stand next to my Greivous! :thumbup:

Awesome review! The ship itself looks good, and after seeing your pic of the fig(s), it looked a lot better. When the toyfair pics came out, I thought the cape was plastic and the head rubber. But thanks for clearing all that up. Using SBD legs was a good choice by TLG, in my opinion, it looks better than BD legs in this case. Still, this set is at the bottom of my list before the Twilight, because its a bit expensive, not that great, and I have much better sets to obtain first. :thumbup: So maybe if I have some leftover money. Also, what are the pipes on the fins like? Rubbery or plastic? :classic:

and finally having some guards to stand next to my Greivous! default_thumbup.gif

Seconded :thumbup:

Edited by JimButcher

I love it! The ship is perfect compared to the trailer scenes of it. And the magna guards are great, plus i wont have to make a custom anymore. Now i would like a clone wars droid battle pack if it included at least one of these and the new droid arms. Though hoth bps would be better clone wars is obviously TLC's best option with the show coming later this year.

Anyway back on topic: right after that TX-130 im gonna have to get this.

Isn't the V-19 going to be the cheapest? They're all overpriced, though... :sceptic:

Anyway, yay, review! I'm not too sure about the magnaguard- the arms are too blocky, and the trans-red brick on the chest is way too big in comparison to the tiny head. Great ship, though, too bad the AT-TE and Gunship are going to suck up all my money...

Yeah; although I think the RGS was fairly priced when my dad found it at Wal-Mart. :sweet:

Truth, but I haven't opened it yet. He'll open it on the weekend... :laugh: Can't wait...

Great review! I was worrying that the Magnaguards would have craptastic rubber heads, but it's good to see they're solid plastic. :sweet:

Also, what are the pipes on the fins like? Rubbery or plastic? :classic:

To answer a few questions.

The 'pipes' on the fins are flexible and look to me like the same part that is often used to lift minifigure stretchers.

The Magna Droids are reasonably balanced and do not need their staffs to stay upright, and

The reason why I thought this would be the cheapest set of the first wave four here in Ireland is because Smyths Stores in Ireland had prices up for the clone sets earlier in the week on their website (which I can't find now) as follows:

Gunship 7676 Euro 119.99

ATTE 7675 Euro 99.99

V19 7674 Euro 74.99

Magna Guard 7673 Euro 59.99

While these prices might change they don't look so outlandish.

David

Really nice review Dfenz :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I don't see why you should be reluctant in making one!

I'm not really a fan of those lifting wings but I :wub: the figs.

I'm pleased to see that the UK and Ireland are the neighbours who have found most of the new sets so far! :grin:

Thanks for the wonderful review. :thumbup:

The new Star War sets, are too steep. I don't think I am able to afford most of these upcoming sets. As for the starfighter's design, it looks real sturdy. I am very curious of the Magna Guards mini-fig. The fig looks very interesting especially the robe. :classic:

Thanks for the great review. :thumbup:

Yes, I am loving this set. The new magna guards and the canopy piece are both must haves, but the whole kit is great. And at least this set has two figures - unlike the V-19. :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for the review Dfenz :thumbup: . I really like this set even since I look it at the prelim. pics and with that many fnctions and nice design (I like anything from Utapau) is a must for me :cry_happy: .

Yuck. I don't like those manga guards at all. They look like someone took a hasbro-esque action figure cut its off at the shoulders and stuck it on an exoforce robot. A simple new molded head (like Grevious) and a cape would have worked just as well and looked more Lego like.

Guess I won't be getting any of manga droids...

Steve

Nice review! I actually theink the Magna Gaurds look good, except for that red light at their belly. I might buy some from BL, who knows. But indeed, as Athos said, they DO look very hasbro-ish.

WOW!!!! I'm just surprised...I thought these were all street dated for the 26th of July. At least that's what I read according to Lucas information. Oh well, gratz on getin one of the new sets. I'm looking forward to seeing the Droid Gunship and the Twilight real, real, REAL soon!

Stop calling them "Manga Guards", people, that sounds silly! :hmpf_bad: It's Magna Guards! :sadnew:

Sorry, but I just hate mangas. :tongue:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Stop calling them "Manga Guards", people, that sounds silly! :hmpf_bad: It's Magna Guards! :sadnew:

Sorry, but I just hate mangas. :tongue:

No need to be a sourpuss, cheer up! :classic: But half the time these are the result of typos, I do them all the tmie! :blush:

tpyos ON!

datrhperson

And the other half of us, just don't care... :grin:

Steve

Well TLC blew this one i was hoping the magna guards would be what they looked like in LSW 1 !!!!!

ohwell one more set i dont have to get. :thumbup:

Nice review with very clear pics!!

I have pre-ordered this item at a local (Belgian) store and will be getting it on July 29th, together with the 7676 Gunship.

Wow 59,99EUr is a LOT of money!! What country do you live in??? Here it costed me 46EUR, so quite a price difference!!!

IMO the set's certainly NOT worth that much money!

Reki