Sign in to follow this  
indyj11

LDD Pirate MOC - Imperial Port

thindexedgif.gif N-M 7-D

I'm new to this forum, but I've been working quite a bit on Lego Digital Designer in order to try and make an Imperial port for my Pirate and soldier sets. So far I've built a Pub, with a watchtower above it, a blacksmith's shop with a shipwright above it and I'm working on the marketplace. Here's the pictures and how they come together. Unfortunately I built the pub and the blacksmith's with legos other than the Factory legos so I can't send them to lego. I may redo them to fix that issue later, but they look real nice and I hate to think of ruining them. Here they are.

lion_head_pub.png

This is the front view of the pub I like to call it the Lion's Head Pub. There's a quartyard with a fountain in front of the pub and a dock leading to the wall of the quartyard. the larger dock connects to the next section (the blacksmith's).

lion_pub_side_view.png

This is the left side of the pub. The top of the pub (the guard tower) can be removed for access to the pub.

lion_pub_back_view.png

This is the backside of the pub. The back wall can be removed along with the top of the pub in order to access the pub easily. I would have included a row boat on the back, if LDD had it.

lion_pub_sky_view.png

This is a view of the quartyard and the fountain and the doorway leading to the pub. It's a little tricky to get a good shot, but I hope you can see it alright.

Alright, with the help of Mister Phes, I was able to figure out how to add more pictures, so here come the rest. There's quite a few, but I think you'll enjoy them.

Here's the Blacksmith/Shipwright building. Unfortunately, I didn't build it with any easy access to the shops, because they don't have the hinge bricks in LDD. Otherwise, I would have used hinged doors on the back for both shops.

blacksmith_front_view.png

The front view of the Blacksmith shop (dock level) and the shipwright above it.

blacksmith_side_view.pngblacksmith_back_view.png

The side and back view of the blacksmith/shipwright.

And finally, a view of what the blacksmith and pub would look like together.

imperial_port_-_blacksmith_and_pub.png

I'm currently working on the marketplace/trading post, but here's a few pictures of what I've got so far.

marketplace_front_view.pngmarketplace_side_view.pngmarketplace_back_view.png

And that's it so far for the Imperial Port. I plan to finish the marketplace, add an in and an Imperial soldier fort, a light house, and POSSIBLY a governer's mansion. Just depends considering the mansion maybe crazy to build. But I'm building them all separately and making them link together in order to make it possible to buy certain sets and not all of it together in order to mix and match and so on. Please tell me what you think. I also have a French Munitions Depot that I'm currently working on, but it's not a part of the Imperial Port. I'll post it in "French Munitions Depot - LDD Pirate MOC."

Edited by SlyOwl

The design is not bad at all! :thumbup:

Just wondering about the colour scheme though - the brown and tan walls kind of reminds of caramel swirl ice cream. Personally I think it would work better if you used white bricks with grey plates for mortar.

Well, I tried a TON of different color schemes and none of them looked "good enough" in my opinion, lol. So I just finally got to this one and it just stuck for me. I liked it because it kind of combined traditional English style with the white and yellow that I had going on and I wanted more than just white with tan because it looked to bland I guess when I actually did it. Otherwise it would have been cool, I think it was just too much white. I can't check the price unfortunately because I used bricks from other things, other than just factory. So I can't upload it to Lego to check pricing or to buy it, otherwise, I'd probably buy it. It wasn't until after I finished building the Blacksmith's shop that I realized I couldn't do that, so now, I'm making the marketplace with all bricks from Lego Factory so that I can upload it to Lego. I'll post what I have so far of the marketplace. It's significantly bigger than the pub and I think it'll be bigger than the blacksmith's/shipwright.

I can't seem to attach anymore pictures on any posts right now, I don't know if there is a limit for how much per day, or per user, or what, but when I'm able to, I'll attach the rest. So far, only the pub is available to view.

Thanks to Mister Phes I got that all figured out and all of the pictures I have of the Imperial Port are posted so far.

Edited by indyj11

Well, I tried a TON of different color schemes and none of them looked "good enough" in my opinion, lol. So I just finally got to this one and it just stuck for me. I liked it because it kind of combined traditional English style with the white and yellow that I had going on and I wanted more than just white with tan because it looked to bland I guess when I actually did it.

Personally, I think colour simplicity is the best although I admit I'm not to keen on the brown and tan. To make it slightly more interesting I'd replace the brown (top and bottom rows) with white bricks, replace the tan (middle row) with yellow and the black plates with grey. For me that would make the colour scheme work much better.

What does everyone else think?

I think the current sceme makes me hungry...

the classic colours are always good, and i personally like tan, and brown just not together...

tan separated by brown plates does work well, it gives a rather cool realistic look...

maybe white with yellow plates?

other than colour, i like this creation, i would be making more stuff on my LDD if it was working :angry:

Regards Cpt. PB...

Well, maybe I'll mess around more with the color scheme, it's just a pain with the options they give you on LDD cause you only get so many pieces of a certain color. But I can see what you mean about the brown and tan, I just wish there were more options.

lion_pub_new.png

Here's another color scheme, I just took out the tan. What do you think? I realized the reason I used the black for the like mortar look was because the window frames on LDD only come in black and white and I tried to match it to the frames. But I think all brown instead of the tan in the middle looks a little better. I just want it to look "pubby" lol.

Edited by indyj11

I think the current sceme makes me hungry...

I see what you mean :pir-grin:

But I think all brown instead of the tan in the middle looks a little better. I just want it to look "pubby" lol.

I think the problem is you're trying to mix building materials the wrong way. I.e. you're trying to construct part of the port from stone (the white and yellow) and part of it from wood (brown and black) but it doesn't look right having stone supposed by wood. You just don't usually see it in the real world and that's probably because stone is heavier than wood and therefore it would lead to structural complications later on.

To make it work you need to have individual structures. So one structure built from stone and another build from wood, otherwise you'll get this "chocolate cake" effect.

I think the problem is you're trying to mix building materials the wrong way. I.e. you're trying to construct part of the port from stone (the white and yellow) and part of it from wood (brown and black) but it doesn't look right having stone supposed by wood. You just don't usually see it in the real world and that's probably because stone is heavier than wood and therefore it would lead to structural complications later on.

Actually, I designed it as being all stone the pub and the fort, but the white and brown being like painted stones. That's why I was trying to put in the mortar, as if it were layering the stone sections. It wasn't supposed to be a wooden pub, neither is the blackmsith's shop. That's supposed to be like a brown painted stone. Sorry for the misconception of it seeming as though it's stone on top of wood. It's supposed to be made of all stone, that's why I have the cliff sides imbedded in the walls, I tried to make it seem as though they just built on top or added to the rock and then painted over it. And the doorway to the pub is supposed to be like a rounded stone, not wooded.

Edited by indyj11

I was just messing around with the pub on LDD and I changed the color scheme. I used white and yellow, I just don't know how it looks. Tell me what you think. Here it is.

lion_head_pub_3.png

It's kind of what Mister Phes said, but I added a little more yellow than on just one layer.

Now I'm thinking "bee"

Do you need to have the mortar plates between the bricks? I think it makes it look too "stripey"

Try removing the plates so it goes something like this:

Bottom row - yellow bricks

Second row - white bricks

Third row - white bricks

Forth row - white bricks

Fifth row - yellow bricks

Top row - white bricks

Remember that one "floor" in an official pirate sets is 6 bricks high.

Now I'm thinking "bee"

That is exactly what I thought when I first built the pub and tried yellow with it. Believe me Mister Phes, there are plenty of other color schemes I would rather have, unfortunately, I needed at least two of the "mortar" sections in order to place the hooks to hold in the gate and I just went with the layering in order to get more effects out of it, the coloring is just way hard becuase certain pieces, like the arch, the flat four X one pieces and other pieces can only be two colors. I would have even made it all tan or something, but with the colors of bricks they give you on the LDD, it's so limited you can't do much, I could try to just paint the mortar sections the same as the bricks around it, but it looks kind of weird in certain areas, it's just a real pain unfortunately how limited it is. I could just do all whit, but it may just look too white. That's the major dilema I have with the pub, :pir-sceptic:

I really don't know what to do about it on LDD, if I could make it myself, it'd probably look better with a better selection of colored bricks. I think I may have all the bricks I need, so I may be building it and posting the actual set, with a different color scheme. I thought of grey or black, but it's a little too dark, I still like the brown stone (the second one I posted) though the best out of all I could do with the colors LDD gives me.

Oh and the bottom level is six bricks tall, if you count the mortar layers, because three flat layers = one normal sized brick, so there's six brick levels and one extra mortar layer.

Other than the pub though Mister Phes, what's your opinion on the other LDD creations I posted, the Blacksmith/Shipwright and the half built marketplace?