• 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Brick Yard

Set #: 580

Year Released: 1975

Piece Count: 195

Minifigs: none

List Price: unknown

My first Lego town set was this great Brick Yard (Set #580).

The set was far ahead of it's time as it contained some very nice elements including printed Legoland 1x4 bricks, 1x2 black tyles, the blue dumptruck piece, a working conveyer, the yellow crane piece with spring, and a green baseplate that had smooth sections for the vehicles. What a great early town set!

Starting with the instructions, they are worn and unfortunately missing one section. I suppose I'm lucky to still have them after all these years.

01instruct.jpg

The dump truck. I've always liked the large blue basket piece, but never used it in a MOC. I saw it once used as a mining car (perhaps on Brickshelf):

02dump.jpg

The front-end loader (for lack of a better name):

03shovel.jpg

The crane that rolls very nicely on blue track pieces. The original black string was replaced by the white string that you see in the picture:

04crane.jpg

A conveyor mechanish lifts 1x1 bricks up to the second floor where they can fall into the dump truck parked below:

05turn.jpg

Here's a shot of the upper section. I've always loved those printed Legoland signs:

06build1.jpg

And a larger view of the building with lots of yellow 1x6s and 1x8s. The set also includes the unique 3x2 windows and a small 2x3 door.

07build2.jpg

Lastly, a view of the complete set:

08set.jpg

The Brick Yard, released in 1975 is truly a classic town set. Hope you enjoy this classic review. It's fun to reconstruct these old sets. :classic:

:cry_happy: Last year I got this set from a friend who found it on his attic but didn't like it, because "he rather liked military stuff". He also didn't understand why I'm astonished...

I do believe that I should also have a "box-hull" of this set.

Once again: Thank you! :thumbup:

It's a 5, as this looks like a wonderful set for its time. You've got several vehicles, lots of working features, and plenty of cool, rare pieces. What else could you want in an early 70's set? :thumbup:

It's a 5, as this looks like a wonderful set for its time. You've got several vehicles, lots of working features, and plenty of cool, rare pieces. What else could you want in an early 70's set? :thumbup:

My feelings exactly. Considering the age of this set, it was really great for it's time, although it was missing the armless figs contained in some of the sets during the same year

(like #555 Hospital).

cool review, you can see TLC has really gone down over the years :laugh:

spookily i belive i have one of those blue baskets in my LEGO tub, didnt know it was that old might be worth something, i;ll have ot hunt it down now :laugh:

:wink:

i agree

Brickster, this is a real vintage set that is released in 1975! Counting the years back, you have done an excellent job in preserving such sets in an excellent condition. It's not going to be very easy to see such vivid and good quality images. Outstanding effort! :thumbup:

580 Brick Yard set, is a prehistoric set which spins off the construction theme. Look at how things changed and evolved over time. Taking into consideration that this set is created in a mini-fig less society, this is actually a very fun playset for kids to play with construction vehicles. For me, part of my play scenes are construction related, back in my childhood days. :wub:

The vehicles are very sweet and lovely. I understand most of the members do not know how to merge such sets into any existing sets/concepts/tabletop and etc that is after 1980s. Yes, I must admit it's hard. If you think back carefully, don't you think these vehicles could be used as a musuem for our Classic Town citizens?

The crane is nicely sitted on the blue rails, but does it fall off easily if you touched it? I believe there is no hinges or tracks for it. Come to think of it, you could just take it off from above, and used it for another loader. :tongue:

What I love about this building is the yellow facade and its conveyor belt which you can just roll bricks from above to below. It is so much fun. I can simply imagine myself turning the wheel.

This is a very wonderful set that could not be seen anymore. My final verdict, a full "5". :sweet:

Brickster, this is a real vintage set that is released in 1975! Counting the years back, you have done an excellent job in preserving such sets in an excellent condition. It's not going to be very easy to see such vivid and good quality images. Outstanding effort! :thumbup:

White Fang: I think it's so awesome that you can appreciate the value and quality of this vintage set. THANK YOU. I feel exactly the same way about these 70s sets. When I visit Legoland California every few years, inside their large indoor food court are glass shelves with vintage sets on display. They seem to rotate these every time I've come. I love looking at them because I know that they are old and represent the "true history" of Lego.

It's very hard to compare these sets to modern detailed city sets, becuase they are completely different with aspects that make them unique. The scale was much smaller (with doors that are 2x3 (not pictured)). They didn't have fancy minifigs, or open vehicles. But at the same time, they did have playability "back in the day" - and they were awesome models! I'd love to see something like this built in minifig scale for today's city with a few specialized pieces.

580 Brick Yard set, is a prehistoric set which spins off the construction theme. Look at how things changed and evolved over time.

Yes, it truly is and formed the foundation of modern City Construction sets.

If you think back carefully, don't you think these vehicles could be used as a musuem for our Classic Town citizens?

Interesting idea. It's a little like the Anniversary Town Plan using the armless fig in the water fountain.

The crane is nicely sitted on the blue rails, but does it fall off easily if you touched it? I believe there is no hinges or tracks for it. Come to think of it, you could just take it off from above, and used it for another loader. :tongue:

No, actually it has a base with some 2x2 tiles that keep it connected to the rails. It's hard to see from the picture. Quite clever considering the age of the set. It slides very nicely and does not come off the tracks.

What I love about this building is the yellow facade and its conveyor belt which you can just roll bricks from above to below. It is so much fun. I can simply imagine myself turning the wheel.

It really is. I always enjoy turning the wheel to roll the bricks up the conveyor. They land in the dump truck and you can drive them away.

Public Works (6383) released in 1981 used a similar method (without the conveyor).

This is a very wonderful set that could not be seen anymore. My final verdict, a full "5". :sweet:

Thank you again White Fang. It truly is a pleasure to read yours (as well as other) comments about this great vintage set. Perhaps I'll share a few more images of the back and side.

PS. I think we should create a new name for these types of sets, VINTAGE as opposed to Classic.

White Fang: I think it's so awesome that you can appreciate the value and quality of this vintage set. THANK YOU. I feel exactly the same way about these 70s sets.

Your review is doing "just" to this set, by keeping it in such excellent condition and present it to us. There is not many such vintage reviews around that are "prehistoric". (Guess, I am stuck with using this term for sets that are 1979 and below. :tongue: ) Yet, you had spend tremendous amount of time, to restore and re-built. For such outstanding effort, I thank you from my bottom of my heart! :thumbup:

When I visit Legoland California every few years, inside their large indoor food court are glass shelves with vintage sets on display. They seem to rotate these every time I've come. I love looking at them because I know that they are old and represent the "true history" of Lego.

I hope I will have a chance to visit any of the Legoland. It's one of my dream vacation to visit such places. I always think that they will offer old/out of production sets, for sales. Guess, this is just my perception. The feeling of viewing the old sets in the displays, must have let you overwhelmed with tons of childhood memories at that time. :sweet:

It's very hard to compare these sets to modern detailed city sets, becuase they are completely different with aspects that make them unique. The scale was much smaller (with doors that are 2x3 (not pictured)). They didn't have fancy minifigs, or open vehicles. But at the same time, they did have playability "back in the day" - and they were awesome models! I'd love to see something like this built in minifig scale for today's city with a few specialized pieces.

Their construction, design and building techinque is way different from any current sets that are released after 1980s. You are looking at more and more newer parts, that can be used to expand your creativity as well. At that same cost of it, the very old parts which we used to love is diminishing by the years.

Interesting idea. It's a little like the Anniversary Town Plan using the armless fig in the water fountain.

That's what I have in mind! :tongue:

No, actually it has a base with some 2x2 tiles that keep it connected to the rails. It's hard to see from the picture. Quite clever considering the age of the set. It slides very nicely and does not come off the tracks.

That is indeed a clever techinque. I had never noticed that feature. I thought it was able to detach itself easily or fall off. Thanks for highlighting it. :wub:

It really is. I always enjoy turning the wheel to roll the bricks up the conveyor. They land in the dump truck and you can drive them away.

Public Works (6383) released in 1981 used a similar method (without the conveyor).

You are very lucky to have preserve 2 of the wonderful construction sets in such excellent condition. I don't have any of the construction sets, that can illustrate a site working area. I am sure it's very fun to play with, otherwise I will have to bring all of my construction vehicles to do a mock-up construction scene.

Thank you again White Fang. It truly is a pleasure to read yours (as well as other) comments about this great vintage set. Perhaps I'll share a few more images of the back and side.

Thank you in advance! I will love to see the back as well. :sweet:

PS. I think we should create a new name for these types of sets, VINTAGE as opposed to Classic.

I am not sure, but I think it's a good idea. I thought the definition of Classic, was sets that are belonged to the "Golden Age" of LEGO, which was mostly are in early 1980s. I just felt the term"Vintage" suited well for these prehistoric sets. :tongue:

NEW PICTURES ADDED

After discussing this great "vintage" set with White Fang, I took these additional photos to add to the review.

A shot of the roof and chimney/smoke stack:

10roof1.jpg

On the roof is the "classic" Legoland 1x4 sign. This set includes three; this yellow one, and two red ones on the crane (pictured later). I've always thought these pieces were "special":

11roof2.jpg

Here's a shot at the building. From this angle, you can see the vintage 2x3 door and 2x3 windows. These were very rare, even among the vintage sets:

12diag.jpg

In case you wanted to see the back, here's a shot with the dump truck pulling under to catch some falling white 1x1 bricks:

13rear1.jpg

Closer shot. You'll also notice the green baseplate with smooth sections for the vehicles. I thought this was very cleverly designed:

14rear2.jpg

Here's ashot of the crane with red Legoland bricks:

15crane1.jpg

The crane does not simply rest on the blue tracks, but is attached by a section with 1x2 black tiles under the track. Here's an image of the simple, yet effective design:

16crane2.jpg

The wheels and the attached section holds the crane in place allowing it to roll nicely.

This concludes the image review of the vintage BRICK YARD, my first "Classic Town" set. Somewhere, I may even have a picture of this set open under the Christmas Tree.

Brickster, thank you so much for fufilling my request. With these new picture, you added a lot more different perspectives, and more points added to this outstanding vintage playset. 580 Brickyard have so much playability. I am very surprised that TLG had actually considered the design considerations very well, especially on the green baseplate where the dump truck is exiting. :sweet:

The crane portion is fanastic. I really can't noticed its track, and the attachment that moved the crane up and down. It is really interesting to see their designs back then. These printed Legoland bricks are simply so lovely! I just can't take my eyes off this set.

Once again Brickster, you have really impressed me with such vivid pictures, that makes me look at it again and again. :wub:

Thanks again Brickster I love your reviews!

One of my first sets, And I always loved getting the legoland pieces they were special to me as well.

Great review of a wonderfull set. I re-started collecting Lego now some 18 months ago and own the European version of this set, the 360-1. Mine is not in this great condition but never the less still looks great with conveyor belt still functioning. Overall a great set worth a 5 !!