Sign in to follow this  
Doug Vandegrift

LEGO Pirates Movie!

Psst! Avast there matey! Ye come seekin Adventure and Salty old Pirates eh? Well ye come to the proper place!

For my entree for the brickfilms.com FAR contest I give you... Pirates!

pirates_poster.jpg

My goal with this film was for it to be more drama driven that anything else. Hopefully I did a good job. Parts of it were rushed in order to meet contest deadline but this is it and hopefully it's entertaining.

Without further flack,

YouTube

|
|
|

Quicktime

Quicktime (160MB ~ 31 min. runtime)

- Doug

*Post from bricksinmotion.com

Screen Shots

pirate_lego_movie01.jpg

pirate_lego_movie02.jpg

pirate_lego_movie03.jpg

pirate_lego_movie04.jpg

pirate_lego_movie05.jpg

Edited by Mister Phes

Wow,Thats got to be the best Pirate lego movie, Even Pirate movie ever!!!

Absolutley Awesome!

Poor Todd (Was that his name?)

And poor todds friend...Sigh...

Its a Good Drama!

EDIT: So good Im watching it again! Wheres Blackbeards Scimitar from?

Edited by Joey Lock

It's an amazing Lego Movie, indeed! I really recommend it to every lego fan :pir-wink:

And I really love the characters, specially Captain Blackheart :pir-wub: and the music is also great and very professional :thumbup:

Two words to describe it: WONDERFUL WORK!

Edited by BlueBard

:pir-oh3: Thats a really good movie!! :pir-classic:

Thoroughly enjoyed watching it. Good characters.

have to say well done!

hope to see some more movies in the future. :)

*Post from bricksinmotion.com

Could we please get your permission to render a low-resolution version of your brickfilm to upload to the Classic-Pirates.com YouTube Channel? We'll give you full credit and link back to this thread.

Could we please get your permission to render a low-resolution version of your brickfilm to upload to the Classic-Pirates.com YouTube Channel? We'll give you full credit and link back to this thread.

thank you but I want to add it to my youtube channel, but you may link it anyway you would like.

Edited by Doug Vandegrift

Why thank you! I shall have this frontpaged on Classic-Pirates.com for you.

I've watched the first 5 minutes and 40 seconds and you've certainly put a lot of work into this but the result is well worth it.

Wow, thanks for another high-quality film, Doug. :pir-wub:

A gripping storyline, great camera work and great animation. The special effects, especially the water, look stunning, and the music is superb. The way you portrayed the drama and tension worked very well in this movie, especially considering that you're using Lego. I must admit though that I'd prefer a more light-hearted movie as America Outlawed was, but it's nice to see that you're trying different things, and to great effect.

Great work, you've made a stunning movie and I look forward to seeing more of you're films in the future. :pir-sweet:

Yes, this is very well done! :thumbup: It really has that Pirate movie feel to it! And I completely agree to the things TinyPiesRUs has pointed out above.

What software did you use for the water effects, if I may ask, and how did you make objects reflect in the water?

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Hey there! I already watched it before on BF.com and thought it was a great film. Lots of nice animation and visual effects. A tremendous job done well here!

I hope you don't mind, but I've already indexed the film in the Film Index !

I've revamped the first post of this thread. So now everyone should be seeing screen shots and YouTube links.

Wow, this is seriously great Lego animation! I don't think anyone could do better!

I've watched the first 5 minutes and 40 seconds and you've certainly put a lot of work into this but the result is well worth it.

I watched about the same amount (I'm not usually patient enough for brickfilms :pir-tongue: ) so I haven't really followed the story, but I see the brilliant quality of this! The only downside is the English accents are a bit off. :pir-sceptic::pir-tongue:

Brilliant animation, this is! :pir_yoda:

:skull:

Dude that's the best Lego pirate movie I've ever seen! I browse Youtube a lot to watch pirate movies but it's all junk. This one is just awesome! I love the storyline and the sea effects. The sound is perfect, even the voices are clear and it's just lovely to see and hear. I wish you luck on the contest with this very nice entry! :pir-blush:

You used greenscreening didn't you? I tried it and it's quite difficult, you have my respect delivering such a nice movie!

I would set it on a DVD and then sell it. :pir_laugh2:

Good show! Fantastic effort, your best work yet Doug.

I actually liked all the voice acting (despite some comments here), except the first time ruby makes a squeak, I though it was a young boy.

For me the music carries this film very well. The water and keying was tip-top as was the script.

I'll admit I'm a big fan of lego fig dialogue, too much of arms just going up and down. But it kept me entertained to watch this all the way through.

Very well played!

PS. I had trouble with the QT version, it got to about 23 mins and just stutters. Anyone else have this problem?

I havent watched it yet, im downloading it. Just out of curiosity what softwares did you use to create it, and on what platform. I make movies too, i just finished a version of beowulf with legos (a readers impression on how it should be not neciscarily how it exactly was), my favorite softwares are sony vegas movie studio (sound film editing) fxlab pro (special effects) Blender (3d animations water ect) photoshop cs3 (cover art/posters). Also what framerate did you use in this stop motion animation its great.

CPT. Jr,

I can answer some of these questions for you. I know that Doug uses Adobe Premiere (Although Vegas is my choice too) and Adobe Photoshop, and I'm pretty sure he uses Stop Motion Pro too. Would you be able to give me some lessons in blender? Meh, I'll PM you about it.

And is there a thread for this film you speak of?

Edited by Captain Zuloo

CPT. Jr,

I can answer some of these questions for you. I know that Doug uses Adobe Premiere (Although Vegas is my choice too) and Adobe Photoshop, and I'm pretty sure he uses Stop Motion Pro too. Would you be able to give me some lessons in blender? Meh, I'll PM you about it.

And is there a thread for this film you speak of?

I believe not i just joined several months ago and i dont have it on youtube, but it won an award for best animation :pir_laugh2: