Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

HMS Manchester

thindexedgif.gif 55c

I'd like to show you one of the ships I created recently specifically for my comic series Kings And Queens Of The Sea.

It's a British vessel called the HMS Manchester.

00.jpg

One thing about the uniforms/flags/sails - in my story both the redcoats (Imperial Guards) and the bluecoats (Soldiers) are British, the bluecoats being sailors and the redcoats being ground troops and port crew (they haven't appeared in the comic yet, but I'm sure they will). The HMS Manchester has bluecoated crew and blue flags and I think it's perfectly fitting for it to have a red flag on its sails, as it's still the symbol of the same nation (actually my idea was that this ship patrols the vicinity of a port, hence the "land" colours on the sails).

Please feel free to view the whole GALLERY.

Edited by SlyOwl

There are a few things I particular like about this ship. First of all, I like the abundance of white bricks. It looks good on this ship. Also, I like the way the you've put this big arch in this inside to access the stern. That's a clean solution. I like it better that putting there an over sized door (compared to the size of the ship). And last but not least, you've got this ship a decent figurehead.

Indeed this a good ship, I really like the stern area of the ship all the white looks good it gives the ship a nice look, and as Bonaparte poited out the arch leading to the stern was a great idea. I admit that I really like the custom cannons on this ship, they are small but they look great, and I hope that it is okay if I steal the design for any future pirate MOCs that I make (not that I am making any currently, just for future MOCs :pir-wink: ). I hope to the other ships from your excellent comic in more detail soon.

I admit that I really like the custom cannons on this ship, they are small but they look great, and I hope that it is okay if I steal the design for any future pirate MOCs that I make

Actually they're not my design - I've seen the same (or very similar) design somewhere long ago and liked it so much that I used it a few times since then. I don't remember who designed them but it was someone from Lugnet. However I'll soon post another MOC, this time with cannons of my own design. :pir-classic:

This is a nice little ship. :pir-classic:

The coloring is very nice, i'd add some yellow detail to the stern.

But it's really nice otherwise.

Good job copying the design. :pir-wink:

I've added this MOC to the Index of MOC Ships.

So you've taken an Imperial Flagship and made a few modifications? It looks a whole lot smaller though.

Exactly what is the significance of the "0003" in the top left corner? Is that a serial number and this is the third ship in that series?

I'm a big fan of those custom cannons as well. Not entirely sure what you used in the middle as the pivot, but it doesn't seem like there are any custom bricks in the design of your cannon. That is always a huge plus for those of us who aren't interested in scrapping sets for spare parts.

The ratlines seem to be bent the wrong way though. Usually, they're rigid, but if anything, they'd more often be curved inwards.

So you've taken an Imperial Flagship and made a few modifications? It looks a whole lot smaller though.

I wouldn't call it a modified IF. It just has sails taken from that ship and that's all - I don't think you'd see the resemblence to that set had I used different sails, plain white customs for example. But the sails are often the first thing that you notice while looking at a ship so I pretty much understand your way of thinking :pir-classic:

Exactly what is the significance of the "0003" in the top left corner? Is that a serial number and this is the third ship in that series?

The ship MOCs shown in my comic are numbered more or less in the same order they appeared in the story, the Valour being number 1 and the ship here being number 3.

I'm a big fan of those custom cannons as well. Not entirely sure what you used in the middle as the pivot, but it doesn't seem like there are any custom bricks in the design of your cannon.

No custom bricks - the brick used in the middle is this one: 4081b.png with two of those connected on both sides: 4073.png, an finally two of those 2420.png on each side, and then of course 4 more of these used for the wheels: 4073.png etc.