Sign in to follow this  
Lasse D

Review of 8152 Racers Speed Chasing

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

I picked up this set mainly because of the many (5+spare) glow in the dark parts and the promise of 2 racers and one helicopter for the price of a little more than two racers (90kr. vs. 2x40kr.)

The box

box1.jpg

The back of the box shows the two alternate models you can build if the polybags rip.

box2.jpg

There are 3 cheese slopes and two 1x2 tiles that glow in the dark, where the tiles are exclusive for this set.

The total parts count is high at 142, but there are no really big pieces among them.

Inside the box you will find the building instructions, a sheet with some odd sticky labels (thrown away) and 3 polybags marked by the bag building difficulty.

inside.jpg

The models

The lime colored car doesn't bring out anything new. We have seen racers built like that before, but it does contain some nice bricks for the collection.

The police cruiser surprises with an interesting design along the sides as seen here. It is harder to build because of the greater level of details:

building.jpg

The helicopter is without doubt the hardest vehicle to build in a bag. I can't finish it because it's larger than the bag. You can't put on the top blades nor the tail of the thing, so it beats the forklift from 7733 where the top bar is the new kind that doesn't completely fit.

unbuildable.jpg

There is also instructions for the alternate models, but it requires the bags to be opened...

extra.jpg

The vehicles are pretty standard for the racers theme with the police car being the highlight of the set

vehicles1.jpg

vehicles2.jpg

Conclusion

I like the difficulty curve between bag 1 and 2, but the last bag should be labeled 1000000 instead of 3. It requires some inhuman skills to build that helicopter in the bag... :yoda: ?

Lime colored car: 3 - We have seen it before, but it has some nice pieces... and lime.

Police Cruiser: 9 - It has a massive diffusers, rare parts and a high level of details. It is a shame LEGO relies so much on stickers.

Helicopter: 6 - if you see it as a set for one fourth of the price of the cars, it is quite amazing, but you can't bag build it and I would personally prefer some more detail instead of the big size.

Overall it is a nice little set, but the police car is the main attraction. I wouldn't get the other vehicles if they were sold separately.

Brickshelf gallery

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

:sceptic: there's something called opening the bag do you do this with everything lego set

:sceptic: there's something called opening the bag do you do this with everything lego set

Ahhh bag building... that takes me back. :tongue: I suspect that if I didn't do my bag building topic my EB life would have turned out very differently. For the negative nancies, I suggest you try it. I bought a set just so I could, and I found it fun. (Not fun enough to do it again though!)

Thanks for the interesting review. :tongue:

now now, don't judge people who do this. there have been bigger sets that were done in the bag. to each his own :)

You make it sound like I did something deeply socially deviating... like being an adult playing with LEGO :tongue:

But back on topic. Open the bags? If they were meant to be opened, why did LEGO close them in the first place? :wacko:

Bag building is not for everybody. Some might become very frustrated with it and let their anger out on the set by lining it up on a mini golf course.

I bought a Tiny Turbos set(A No-No for me) after I saw this "Bag Building." It's actually pretty fun. I built it faster than I would if I had opened the bags!