Sign in to follow this  
SuvieD

LEGO sells LEGOLAND

so do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing that lego sold the lego land parks?

so do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing that lego sold the lego land parks?

That's a tough question.

If I do some elementary school math it should be a good thing:

LEGO's net loss last year was EUR 328 mio (Jesus, that's a lot come to think of it :/ ). With the sale of the themeparks they "get" EUR 375 mio - that should put them into black numbers and they should be able to concentrate on their core business and have the luxury of not turning every cent on every decision.

How this deal really works out moneywise, though, I don't know.

As for the parks, I never was a big theme park goer (any kind of theme park). I knew LEGOLAND existed but never felt an urge to visit it. I just wanted to buy LEGO sets and carry the boxes home (which still holds true). So to me this news isn't a shock, or "blasphemy" or anything. If they use this money-boost and do good core-business again I'm all happy. The theme parks, I think, will always be associated with LEGO - the name is just too well known all over the globe to be "forgotten".

Another little bit is that LEGO still owns 30% of the parks. Which is still a lot of sway over any decision. LEGO will still sell their products and will maintain the toys that they have invested in. LEGO takes in some money from the park itself and more money from the stuff they sell. LEGO will not let another company drag it's good name into the mud so I would say YES! this is a good thing.

Whats more is that with a bigger capital for such things and a desire to have chains of theme parks (hinted at in the articles) we may see more LEGOLANDs popping up in different areas. I would like to see another one come to the US a little closer than California and I am sure countries like Japan, Australia, Canada, Austria, France or other more advanced countries would like one as well.

Last but not least, LEGO will now, like Hobbes said, focus on the toys! |-D Which is better for anyone who likes LEGO toys!

That gives them a 47 mio threshold this year then...

Not really:

The article said that last year's loss was EUR 328 mio. That's not their debt. Meaning, last year they lost 328 mio on top of what they had lost already. Meaning furthermore, with the sale they erased "only" last year's negative business (and some of the years before). What's still there (or rather isn't) we don't know...

My g/f just explained it to me, and as a business graduate she should know... I knew why I hated this in school... ;)

I mean 47 mio threshold to please me...  What you think I was referring to Hobbes?

The difference between last year's loss and the "income" from the sale? If so, I meant that it isn't there because of "old" losses. If not, I misunderstood you...

However, Hobbes, you've done this messageboard a great service to explain things. You should be rewarded.

Why, thank you, mister_phes :$

May I choose my reward? Or which reward did/do you have in mind? You made me curious...

You can choose whatever you like Hobbes. Just get the admins to fix you up with whatever you choose for your reward.