Sign in to follow this  
Holodoc

The event - the story

This is the story of our event 2008 in Billund.

Well, not all of the story, but part 1 (as it´s getting late and all you curious people are waiting for this) :tongue:

pict0241.jpg_thumb.jpg

I was the last one of the 13 eventees to arrive at the Legoland village on thursday, 29th, so please have a look at (all the) other "reviews" :wink: of our event if you want to read something about thursday before 7 o´clock p.m..

Directly after my arrival (and the dinner) we started our first challenge and it would not be the last, but more on that later on.

TT arranged a special "find a set"-challenge on a given area, where we had to find a previously hidden set.

pict0004.jpg_thumb.jpg

No problem for an AFOL you might think (and at first we did so, too :hmpf: ), but take in mind we had to browse an approx. 2 squarekilometers wide area (200 x 100 m) and the set was rather small (Indiana Jones Jungle Duel) and camouflaged (silver)!

So no wonder we were searching rather long. Fortunately TT gave us some hints about the location, but even that didn´t really help.

To cut a long story short, finally Morten managed to find the set and the rest had to realize that they were passing by that set at least twice without having noticed it at all. :laugh:

eb_event_billund_2008_8.jpg_thumb.jpg

The excitement even got stronger when all eventees were asked inside again to have the extras be handed out.

And what we got!

1) Promo Set 7910

pict0011.jpg_thumb.jpgtn_7910-1_jpg.jpg

2) The winner of the Impulse set challenge Khorne made a copy of his city bum for all of us.

pict0012.jpg_thumb.jpgcity_bum.jpg_thumb.jpg

3) PaulC made a copy of his stunning Indiana Jones jeep (the Brickmasters exclusive 20004) rebuild (OK, with missing parts, but our brandnew ambassador is taking care about that). :tongue:

pict0013.jpg_thumb.jpgpict0014.jpg_thumb.jpg

4) We were the first AFOLS to get a set of the all new space line "Space Hotties", that will surely hit the shelves of your local toy stores as well in the nearest future. And believe me: When it´s called "Hotties", it MEANS Hotties! :wub:

space_hotties_21.jpg_thumb.jpg

5) Best of all: Rare bricks and Minifigs! All the SW-UCS-MF crew had come together to be part of a special polybag. Bricks that have never made into an official set together with rare ones, that are part of just one set so far and so on. Our eyes got wider and wider! :thumbup::wub::thumbup:

Sorry, no trans rare pieces, though. :wink:

pict0017.jpg_thumb.jpg

It was hard to calm down again, but we finally managed it with our favourite drinks (sorry, AFOLs only) and a lot of conversation about this and that.

pict0019.jpg_thumb.jpg

(Captain Green Hair almost disqualified for the 8150 contest)

Friday

Meeting at the main entrance at 10 o´clock and storming the local PaB. No - patience, it will not open until 12 o´clock. :hmpf_bad:

OK, let´s head for the miniland first. In comparison to the Legoland Germany (these are the only two I visited so far) the Billund one is larger, has a better surrounding (trees and little hills) but is in a poorer condition concearning the bricks. You can easily see that a lot of builings were made some years ago, spider webs and sometimes a dusty cover were indicators for that. For my taste there were too may red bricks used, but, hey, its Scandinavia there, isn´t it? I don´t have a proof for that, but I think there is more motion in the miniland Billund than there was in Günzburg. I especially like all the watergates working and having the ships go up and down.

pict0095.jpg_thumb.jpgpict0096.jpg_thumb.jpgpict0097.jpg_thumb.jpgpict0098.jpg_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile it was 12 o´clock and I went back to the shop. You´ll never guess who already was there browsing the shop: Copmike! :laugh:

What a disapointment to realize that the sets were overprized (compared to Germany) and the ridiculous way of selling bricks at the PaB (if you buy more than 100g, you will pay thrice the price for each 100 gram :angry: :angry: :angry: ) is not stopped.

image1589.jpg

*Hello? Wake up! What kind of business modell is that?!*

But there was still the extra market that will open one hour later.

Disapointment no. 2! Uninteresting sets just 10% off? No way. :hmpf: On Saturday I saw the hobby train set 10183 for 700 DKR. Reduced from 770 DKR. That was on clearance sale in S@H for 49,99€! :sick:

They had a lot of sets opened and had the bricks dispersed all over 20 bigger boxes where one could sit down and grab the bricks one likes though. You had to fill a big blue bucket for this. That limited my interest - until LasseD went to fill his bucket and had some space left. Thanks again, Lasse! I managed to find some nice parts. :grin:

At half past 1 we left the park to visit the official Lego museum. Jan Beyer, the AFOL coordinator (if I may call him that way :wink: ) accompanied us through the tour that had a lot of new and old news for us. I think we all were excited about the older sets placed all around the tour in the first part.

pict0160.jpg_thumb.jpg pict0153.jpg_thumb.jpg

The vault was amazing and the upcoming sets of 2009 were

EDIT by Administrator: *SNIPPED on behalf of TLC*

pict0168.jpg_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately we were not allowed to make photos of these sets. I wished everyone around here would have had the chance to see themselves.

Well, then there was the wooden part of TLC's history, but that part luckily didn´t last long and we went straight to the exhibition hall, were they had put up all sets of 2008, including the sets that did not have been released so far. Again, no photos, but we were allowed to play with the sets and look for the cool functions that come with it. What a delight!

Most of us were staring at the SW and agents sets, I moved on to the Creator sets. The ferry is so great! The mechanism used to open the front and lower the platform is very very clever! :wub: I already wrote about the new white Creator Convertible. I´m still amazed about the doors. They´re closing very smoothly. Whenever I tried a similar mechanism it got stucked. :look:

The upcoming bigger Technic set is a bit disappointing when compared to last years bulldozer: It´s the 8295 telescopic handler. Nothing really special. The 8297 Off-roader might even be better although it has fewer pieces.

The coast guard sets look very, very good. Too bad they are not being released until September (in Germany).

Another set on my "to-buy-list": Castle advent calendar! We could not see inside, but I had a look at the parts list on the side. Definitely promising! :cry_happy:

After that we headed back to Legoland village where some more challenges took place.

First everyone had to proof his eyes for different Lego colours. Find 3 small light blueish gray Lego pieces in a bucket of about 1000 old gray bricks. Do that as fast as possible!

pict0181.jpg_thumb.jpg

Most impressive: Morten_sonne as Mr. 5 seconds! He, KimT and Copmike managed to get 3 Lego banners for that.

The next challenge was the 8150 secret: Stack the boxes. Highest tower after 20 seconds wins! Sounded easy, but someone finished with the heights of 1 lying box!

pict0193.jpg_thumb.jpg

But that was for warming up only. Like all of us feared the upcoming challenge was a "build in the bag"! The Racer set 8150 had to be build in its bag.

eb_event_billund_2008_18.jpg_thumb.jpg

Too difficult for not to be mentioned members who had difficulties even in opening the box! Some others surrendered opening the plastic bag accidently (so they said). But what is worse than being the first one to finish and having it NOT build correctly? KimTeresting you think? :devil: Oh yes!

My luck, because I finshed third and the rewards were terrific! LasseD who was the first to finish the bagbuild correctly got the Space Skull set and I was handed out the Space Justice set. Woooha! And thanks to Jan Beyer who sponsored the rewards!

pict0198.jpg_thumb.jpg

Oh, may I point out that some members still are not finished with the bag build! :tongue:

But 8150 was not finished yet neither.

We headed over to the minigolf area, where the cars had to perform a long distance run. Which car went farest was to win a smaller prize again.

pict0203.jpg_thumb.jpg

And finally there was a minigolf challenge itself.

pict0207.jpg_thumb.jpg

Too bad LasseD and I weren´t allowed to win another prize, otherwise we would have cleared the place of all sets. :grin:

Finally Ras managed to be first in a final round that went down the wire. But then again HE was one of the hosts of this challenge and generously passed the Indiana Jones Jungle Cutter set over to Bricklord who was second.

The second day ended with the usual drinks very early in the morning of Saturday.

pict0018.jpg_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned for day no. 3 and the grand finale!

pict0273.jpg_thumb.jpg

oh wow! thanks holodoc for that nice event report!

it´s too bad that i couldn´t come and enjoy that event. looks like all of you had a lot of fun, but getting not enough sleep, the last pic of the report is really cool :tongue:

@copmike and yoda:

the space hotties set is really cool :thumbup:

Some of the event pics are really funny. Want to see more please. What about the firefighting game :pir-sweet:

Greetings

Sandra

Thanks for the play by play Holodoc. It feels like I was really there in tiny thumbnail form! :grin:

Thanks for the play by play Holodoc. It feels like I was really there in tiny thumbnail form! :grin:

Ever thought of clicking on these? :tongue:

I must comment that the flash on holodoc's camera is INSANE! It nearly blinded Ras and me thus the somewhat puzzled expression on my face.

Also the build in bag competition was a great hoax. I saw Holodoc and Lasse paying CM money before the contest started.

My finished model was removed and later returned as unfinished.

KimT

Ever thought of clicking on these? :tongue:

What?? *huh* Oh!!!!! They become bigger :wacko: Of course I clicked on them, but the story was more fun in a little thumbnail world, like I had little portals to choose from to live inside the 2008 event world.

Speaking of which, I received a mysterious package from Sweden with a video tape. It appears to be evidence of the bag-build fix. It came with a note that says "Stop the bulldog before he gets the exclusive Indy sets. Signed Not Ras." Consequently, someone murdered the mailman and my car keeps exploding.

Sounds like you guys had a great time... I wonder why no TFOLS ever attend... Is it strickly AFOLS only? Or are we just to lazy to attend? :tongue:

Stauder.

That looks great, I really hope I can attend one of those some day, especially for the fun competitions and chance to pick up unusual parts/colours. I could turn some previously unknown shade of green with envy on that part alone... :cry_sad:

Sounds like you guys had a great time... I wonder why no TFOLS ever attend... Is it strickly AFOLS only? Or are we just to lazy to attend? :tongue:

They have a sign at the door, "must be this tall to enter" :tongue:

That looks great, I really hope I can attend one of those some day, especially for the fun competitions and chance to pick up unusual parts/colours. I could turn some previously unknown shade of green with envy on that part alone... :cry_sad:

They have a sign at the door, "must be this tall to enter" :tongue:

Who you callin' short Mr.6 Foot 3" ? I am 5 feet 6"aprox... (181cm) I am sure yoda is shorter than me!

:tongue:

Staudie.

Holodoc, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

It gives me great insights!

Looking at the EB event, makes me wonder when will I have a chance to join this kind of outstanding event. Hope one day soon enough, I will join too. Going there, is certainly one of my dream vacation. :classic:

By the way, the competitions are great! :blush:

Stauder.

There did attend a teen this year: me. (Im the tall guy that you can see in the second picture)

Thanks for the Event-review doc :thumbup:

Wish I could've been there, you really appear to have tons of fun :cry_happy:

Looking forward to day III :classic:

Benny

Speaking of which, I received a mysterious package from Sweden with a video tape. It appears to be evidence of the bag-build fix. It came with a note that says "Stop the bulldog before he gets the exclusive Indy sets. Signed Not Ras." Consequently, someone murdered the mailman and my car keeps exploding.

Oh my... I knew it.

That might explain why I feel a little numb after handling the bricks that CM sent me.

It did puzzle me why the polybags were missing and the bricks smelled a little like mustard and burnt my skin.

KimT