Sign in to follow this  
robogo

How to restore peeling stickers

Any advice on the type of glue to restore the peeling stickers ?

thanks

regards

I've got that problem a lot on some of my older Star Wars models. The best thing I've found to do is to carefully press them down as flat as possible. You've got to be gentle and try not to break off any crumbly bits. Then get a high-quality, crystal clear packing tape. cut a piece just a little larger then your sticker and slowly apply over the top, being careful to press out any air bubbles before they get trapped.

Seems to work for me deino2.gif

Older stickers (80s and before) are quite easy to restore. Standard Pritt glue is enough. You can wash them with soap and water. I however never found a good way to restore transparent stickers.

Note: speaking about this, may I give an excellent advise on how restoring printed bricks: use 100 volume hydrogen peroxide (pure H2O2). Old ugly, yellowed bricks will turn back in their original color and shiny without altering the prints.

Older stickers (80s and before) are quite easy to restore. Standard Pritt glue is enough. You can wash them with soap and water. I however never found a good way to restore transparent stickers.

Note: speaking about this, may I give an excellent advise on how restoring printed bricks: use 100 volume hydrogen peroxide (pure H2O2). Old ugly, yellowed bricks will turn back in their original color and shiny without altering the prints.

Yeah thats been brought up before, it effective but takes some time. :classic:

If you're referring to the modern paper stickers that automatically peel off over time, I haven't found any real way to deal with them. If you try to press them down again, they develop cracks all over the place. The best solution is probably to tape over them immediately when you first put them on and not allow them to peel in the first place.

I have actually stopped using paper stickers in the susceptible colors (mainly white, red and blue) altogether because of this problem, since it takes too much time to put the tape on unless the sticker is an especially good one. TLG should stop using these crappy paper stickers and switch to the transparent ones exclusively.

The transparent stickers don't have this whole problem of coming off by themselves and last much longer anyway.

Edited by CP5670

Yeah thats been brought up before, it effective but takes some time. :classic:

It depends on the contentration level of the oxygen. If you can have pure H2O2 (industrial), it works in 2 or 3 days.

The transparent stickers don't have this whole problem of coming off by themselves and last much longer anyway.

Tons of transparant stickers went to the trash can here :sceptic:

Well, the modern paper stickers are much worse. :tongue: In certain colors, they are pretty much guaranteed to peel and crumble on their own if they're left on a display model for about two years. The transparent stickers can also come off due to edge wear, but they at least don't have this issue.

Since you're talking about the 80s, it could be that the paper ones didn't have this problem back then. I mainly started seeing this issue in the late 90s.

Hello,

I was sorting out my old Lego sets ,Never let your mother go to your room with your Lego or she will go berserk and demand you clean it. Anyway when I was sorting out my Lego I noticed that in a lot of my sets the stickers where coming loose in the corners or had fallen almost off, and when I tried to push them back one almost stuck to my finger in pieces so I pushed them back with my fingernails and some of them stayed back and others didn't. Do you guys have some tips for reviving old stickers? or do I need to search for replacements ?

Sorry if there is a topic about this but I couldn't find it with the search option.

I don't think there's much to be done with the original sticker. This occurred to a terrible degree in my original Krusty Krab set, so I put down scotch tape over the sticker and piece to keep the stickers as intact as I could. Otherwise, you could buy replacements on Bricklink or see if someone has scanned or made a copy that you could download and print.

Sorry if there is a topic about this but I couldn't find it with the search option.

Use the index instead! :wink: You will find there this old topic about peeling stickers. Though as Clone O'Patra said, there aren't any miracle solutions. :look:

Some stickers like those of the hogwarts express also crumble. We make replacements for that.

Johan